Apple issues third beta of tvOS 9.1 for fourth-gen Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2015
Developers testing software on the new fourth-generation Apple TV were given access to a new tvOS 9.1 beta on Wednesday, the third pre-release build issued thus far.

Those with a registered Apple TV can now download the latest beta via the system's software update, or install it over a USB-C cable connected to a Mac.

Testers have found that tvOS 9.1 adds support for Siri searches in the Apple Music service. Apple itself has said that the functionality will be available to users early next year, potentially suggesting that tvOS 9.1 remains far from release.

Digging around in the tvOS code, developers have also found evidence of support for app folders. As of yet, folders are not available in tvOS 9.1.

Without an Apple TV public beta program, tvOS 9.1 remains limited to developers. The latest public release for the fourth-generation Apple TV is tvOS 9.0.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The Apple discussion forums have quieted down quite a bit lately. All the 4K, Optical Port, Siri search, Remote app, App Store, Podcast app ranters and ravers have worn themselves out apparently. The optical port ranters especially have begun to discover ARC and HDMI breakout boxes.

• Reply 2 of 17
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    The Apple discussion forums have quieted down quite a bit lately. All the 4K, Optical Port, Siri search, Remote app, App Store, Podcast app ranters and ravers have worn themselves out apparently. The optical port ranters especially have begun to discover ARC and HDMI breakout boxes.
    No - not at all actually.
    We have just found other products and solutions that cut Apple out completely.
    Lost sales and market share, loss of industry support, that's the reality of the boneheaded decision.

Oh well. Life goes on.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

Lost sales and market share, loss of industry support, that's the reality of the boneheaded decision.

Oh well. Life goes on.

Actually, most people already have receivers with HDMI, and have had them for years, making the optical output pretty much obsolete.

• Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Many have returned them for a refund.  When I returned both of mine, there was a nice stack of AppleTVs that had already been returned by other customers.  I am sure those 'ranters' as you call them have already given valid feedback to Apple, so no need to continue to rant about the issues in the forums.  You have to admit that the new AppleTV should have supported the iOS remote app and bluetooth keyboards from day one, as they had already been supported for years on the previous model.  Taking away features that people used and charging considerably more money is not exactly a good thing.

• Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneylandMan View Post

Many have returned them for a refund.  When I returned both of mine, there was a nice stack of AppleTVs that had already been returned by other customers.  I am sure those 'ranters' as you call them have already given valid feedback to Apple, so no need to continue to rant about the issues in the forums.  You have to admit that the new AppleTV should have supported the iOS remote app and bluetooth keyboards from day one, as they had already been supported for years on the previous model.  Taking away features that people used and charging considerably more money is not exactly a good thing.

Hey DisneyMan,

Glad to read your post!!   I hope the influx of returned ATV4's register there with some one who gives a damn!!!   I'm a died-in-the-wool Apple fan but this will surely change if the powers that be at Apple cannot get it through their thick money inflated heads that we are not Beta'Testers!!!!

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Just out of curiosity. What would one do on an Apple TV with a keyboard? Maybe to make searches easier on gen 3, but that was accomplished with the Remote App. When setting up my new ATV I only used the primitive on screen keyboard to enter logins and passwords. Since then I use Siri to do searches. Apple has consistently removed features from products over the years that when all the dust settles no one has died. Floppy disks, optical drives, ports of many types to name a few.

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

So when they add those features and functionality in to the device, will you go and purchase 2 again, or is this a lifetime ban?

• Reply 8 of 17
    Did the Remote app support the Apple TV 3 on launch day? I honestly don't remember.

I agree it would have been nice, as would keyboard support, for entering all those passwords, but most of mine were via activation websites so I could use my iPhone or iPad for those. I still hope Remote app support will get added eventually.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    bitmod wrote: »

Oh well. Life goes on.

are you missing your /s tag?
  • Reply 10 of 17

a nice stack of returned ATVs? uh huh. cool story bro.

would i like the remote app to work? sure. would i return it because it doesnt? no, because thatd be insane since i bought it for the content, not for saving me a 5-minute set up hassle.

(and BT keyboards i give even less of a shit about, ive never used the feature once...id bet apple's data reveals very few have, which is why it wasnt a launch priority)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    larrymagoo wrote: »
    Glad to read your post!!   I hope the influx of returned ATV4's register there with some one who gives a damn!!!   I'm a died-in-the-wool Apple fan but this will surely change if the powers that be at Apple cannot get it through their thick money inflated heads that we are not Beta'Testers!!!!

way to hit so many troll tropes in one post!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

would i like the remote app to work? sure. would i return it because it doesnt? no, because thatd be insane since i bought it for the content, not for saving me a 5-minute set up hassle.

(and BT keyboards i give even less of a shit about, ive never used the feature once...id bet apple's data reveals very few have, which is why it wasnt a launch priority)

It's becoming the new "but there's no filesystem access" argument.  I'll bet if you went back to discussions around the original Macintosh in 1984, people were complaining because there was no command-line/console access too.  And in the late 70s when the Apple ][ was hardwired, because you couldn't solder your own components into it.  Some people only have the ability to see things one way, and are compelled to believe that everyone else is the same as them.  Sorry, but the technology industry is founded on trying to find better/simpler ways to do things.

Are there kinks in the new AppleTV?  Sure.  But they're trying to find better ways to do things and the kinks will be worked out in time.  After the initial login/password setup pain, it's been a good experience and a nice upgrade.

• Reply 13 of 17

I own the new ATV4, which replaced the previous model. I'm using it daily. No complaints.

• Reply 14 of 17
    I'm not buying a ATV 4 until they add back keyboard support.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

I own the new ATV4, which replaced the previous model. I'm using it daily. No complaints.

Shhhhhhh:wow: you’l upset the Epic Fail crowd. Of course you are in the majority. Most users are perfectly happy with the new Apple TV but we don’t go to the Apple discussion forums and post how pleased we are. We don’t visit all the Apple centric websites to praise the product, we simply go about using it and discovering all the things we can do. The Epic Fail crowd, however, does slather their negativity to every corner of the Internet like hummus on toast. They want everybody to know how displeased they are.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Shhhhhhh:wow: you’l upset the Epic Fail crowd. Of course you are in the majority. Most users are perfectly happy with the new Apple TV but we don’t go to the Apple discussion forums and post how pleased we are. We don’t visit all the Apple centric websites to praise the product, we simply go about using it and discovering all the things we can do. The Epic Fail crowd, however, does slather their negativity to every corner of the Internet like hummus on toast. They want everybody to know how displeased they are.

Yep, and if AI isn't careful, they'll turn in to a troll's warren like that awful place MacRumors is now.

• Reply 17 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ohh... I am tempted to get the beta!