Sprint rolls out LTE Plus network with peak speeds topping 100Mbps

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Sprint on Wednesday activated a new, faster 4G network under the "LTE Plus" moniker, in some cases doubling peak connection speeds to 100 megabits per second or faster.

The network is presently available in 77 U.S. markets, such as New York City, San Francisco, Miami, and Austin. It's based on the LTE Advanced standard and more specifically exploits technologies like beamforming and carrier aggregation, i.e. joining multiple channels.

Beyond raw speed, Sprint is also promising double the network capacity, and further signal range on the 2.5 gigahertz band. Two other bands -- 800-megahertz and 1.9 gigahertz -- are potentially slower, but serve as backups for better coverage. The 800 band is said to be intended for indoor reception.

13 devices are LTE Plus-compatible at the moment, most notably the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, which can (in theory) support LTE Advanced speeds up to 300 megabits per second.

The network should gradually expand as Sprint makes infrastructure upgrades. No firm timeline for the project has been announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    [SIZE=6][B]*[/B][/SIZE]Actual speeds may vary depending on factors including, but not limited to: weather, network capacity, and marketing bullshit.
  • Reply 2 of 13

Been there, done that. Had 100 megs for a few years. Ever hear of Finland?

• Reply 3 of 13

I do not understand the lines drawn on that map in the article. Some of them vaguely follow state border lines, but others don't at all. 

• Reply 4 of 13
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    It looks like a list of Sprint regions.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kpom wrote: »
    It looks like a list of Sprint regions.

The map originated from a parallel universe where the states have different borders.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The map is just a stylistic choice.

Nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Who cares? The closest Sprint tower to me is over 20 miles away. If I had Sprint, I wouldn't get 100 b ps. I'd get zero. First, get coverage. Then get speed.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    What is the map of? Districts of signal?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

*Actual speeds may vary depending on factors including, but not limited to: weather, network capacity, and marketing bullshit.

i am sure they are able to get that speed; all 120 customers still on sprint.

• Reply 10 of 13

The map is courtesy of Ben Carson.

http://time.com/4119265/ben-carson-map-twitter/

• Reply 11 of 13
    No wonder Sprint is lousy with their infrastructure. They can't even get a map correctly. And I like Ben Carson but that joke was still funny.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    It looks like a LATA map:
    [URL]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LATA[/URL]

-rb
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The map is sprint service regions, for example "Nashville" is to Sprint all of Middle & East Tennessee which comprises of ~850 macro towers.

It will be interesting to see what B41 is actually gonna be like as it lists Nashville as "live" but only a dozen or more sites are live. When I did connect to a site it was pretty solid on the iPhone 6s (57/5Mbps). I am really pulling for Sprint but they need to step up backhaul to sites Nashville LTE is struggling under the load. It may be time for Sprint to force users onto current plans (I know a ton of people on plans they should have never had access to). An realistically other than some bad PR it's not like many will give up their unlimited data an switch to AT&T/Verizon.