Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock now on sale at Apple Stores for $79 [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    michael_c wrote: »

I see a trend in Apple's approach to accessories, and software features where they leave room for third party to make money.  One of the selling points to Apple products is third party support, and having more aggressive pricing on accessories like this could reduce their motivation to develop.  Pricing it high, leaves room for others to still be profitable and incentivized to continue to support Apple's core business.  

Yes that's the only reason that makes sense. Though I'd still prefer a reasonably priced good quality first party accessory from Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    This is nice but unbelievably expensive. In fact, I would think they could include much of this functionality just be selling a padded disk with a little stand mechanism where you insert your existing charger.

sure, go ahead and launch one on Kickstarter. easy, right?

also, the magnet on this is much stronger than the one on the charging cable. see how he held it upside down? your cable wont do that.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    I swear Apple doesn't really care about making money off accessories these days. If they did this stuff wouldn't be so crazy expensive. The iPad mini smart case is more expensive than the iPad Air 2 smart case. That's nuts. Apple is just driving people to 3rd party options with these prices.

im going to go a head and say that, since they have the sales data, they know whether its profitable or not for them. and im going to go out on a limb and say it is.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is crazy expensive.

$49-$69 would be a reasonable price

so being 10 bucks more than your reasonable upper limit like makes it crazy expensive? hmm. ten bucks is two beers.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    noivad wrote: »
    Can’t believe people are surprised. Apple has a high end brand & charges for it accordingly despite their lack of functional superiority. This allows 3rd parties to innovate for a lot less and have a chance. This means: the people who are more about looks and brand than functionality when considering value are happy they can have their brand name, while those who are more about functionality determining value than brand can be happy spending half as much for accessories with more capabilities.

your assumption that apple-made accessories are lesser quality is dubious. ive tried dozens of cases over the years, and the two ive settled on my iphone are made by apple. in fact, it was only the amazon/ebay cheapie cases that did damage to my iphone's finish.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes that's the only reason that makes sense. Though I'd still prefer a reasonably priced good quality first party accessory from Apple.

who wouldnt prefer that things they buy cost less than they actually do?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    yeah price is absurd, even for apple. guess they're going with fashion pricing rather than real world pricing.

at $29 to $49 I would have been interested.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The plain 1 m watch charging cable is $29 while the 2 m is $39 so $79 for a much more elaborate item is within range. Perhaps somewhat depending on the length of that Lightning to USB Cable.

For myself I just use the bottom half of the box the watch was shipped in, but I don't need to see it when it's off my wrist charging. It looks like it might be small enough to travel with, slipping into a flat pocket in a messenger bag or whatnot.

• Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

sure, go ahead and launch one on Kickstarter. easy, right?

also, the magnet on this is much stronger than the one on the charging cable. see how he held it upside down? your cable wont do that.

The stock recharger can support the weight of my 38mm watch. :)

• Reply 30 of 37
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

That's a classy elegant looking Dock! At least the illustrations of it at the online ?Store seem that way. Also seems to be considerably more expensive in Europe/UK than the States.

• Reply 31 of 37
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is crazy expensive.

$49-$69 would be a reasonable price

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No one's forcing you to buy cases.

There are a ton of 3rd party cases/covers that will come out if you are the cheap type.

No one's forcing you to buy this dock.  There are a ton of 3rd party docks that will come out if you are the cheap type.

• Reply 32 of 37
    noivad wrote: »
    Can’t believe people are surprised. Apple has a high end brand & charges for it accordingly despite their lack of functional superiority. This allows 3rd parties to innovate for a lot less and have a chance. This means: the people who are more about looks and brand than functionality when considering value are happy they can have their brand name, while those who are more about functionality determining value than brand can be happy spending half as much for accessories with more capabilities. Apple doesn’t have to compete with them because its reputation isn’t built on accessories but their HW/SW combos.

This gives smaller manufacturers a chance and a viable marketplace to differentiate on features, price, styles & gives Apple the easy money. The 3rd parties don’t have to compete with what could be an Apple “ginsu” accessory & Apple doesn't have to do anything but look pretty to make their products viable to sell since they have high margins with less expensive manufacturing costs. Plus Apple can point to the wide gamut of choices the same way PC users used to hold over Apple users heads when comparing platforms for viability. Everyone is happy, & most people are none the wiser.

oh please.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    The "Apple tax" meme.
  • Reply 35 of 37

While I love my Nomad Apple Watch stand ($69.95), it doesn't hurt to have a second one around the house. The new Apple stand is more expensive then third party versions, but what Apple product isn't more expensive then the competition.

Yeah, I ordered mine today.

• Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

can you shake it up & down like he does in the vid at 2:00?

ive got a 42mm SS and that would result in a dropped watch for me.

Nope - it barely holds it in an upside down position...

Wasn't trying to dispute your observation that the new stand has a stronger magnet ... and have never watched the vid.

Was only checking to see if my standard charger could hold a 38mm watch upside down based on your suggestion to "try it". :)

Does the 42mm come with a slightly larger diameter charger? Based on how weakly mine held in place, I would've guessed the 42mm wouldn't have made the "cut"... that's why I made sure to specify the size I was holding.