IBM Watson Trend pegs Apple Watch as hottest holiday gift

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    So basically everyone makes their decisions based on IBM's Watson. Apple has transformed itself into it's own 1984 Commercial except everyone has an iPhone in one hand & looking at an Apple Watch on the other wrist while holding an Apple TV remote, while a big hologram of Tim Cook is repeating "These are our BESTTTTT Apple Product Lineup YET!"

Glad to see though that Goldman Sachs is in the good graces of the after the their report. Let's see what happens when they have downloaded report in few quarters & see how people still feel about them...
  • Reply 22 of 40
    supadav03 wrote: »
    The Apple Watch is definetly on my holiday shopping list. With the $50 discount or $100 gift card deals being offered by Best Buy & Target it's a great time to buy one. I will be getting my wife the rose gold sport with lavender band. My brothers and I will also be splitting the cost of a gold sport with navy band for my mother.

On a side note, both my mom and wife are nurses and use there watches for timing things quite often. Any nurses or medical professionals here that could tell me their experiances with using them at work? Thanks.

Apparently, Rene Ritchie (iMore.com) has a sister who is a nurse. She uses the Apple Watch and finds it invaluable. Write him a note on Twitter and he usually responds.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But, but, but the Watch is a failure..

But, but, but Steve Jobs would never release a Watch.....

but, but, but, but.......

In your FACE AppleWatch haters.

you will be proven WRONG again.  The Apple Watch will be the fastest selling Apple product EVER in its first year of release.  It will blow away the records by iPhone, iPod, and iPad.

The funny thing is the haters are already moving off of Apple Watch and their new target is the iPad Pro.

"Of course, the Watson algorithm simply says that users are talking about the Apple Watch, not necessarily buying it."

I guess you forgot to read that part of blindly passed over it. 

• Reply 24 of 40
    Apparently, Rene Ritchie (iMore.com) has a sister who is a nurse. She uses the Apple Watch and finds it invaluable. Write him a note on Twitter and he usually responds.

Awesome. I'll definitely do that. Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That certainly follows my anecdotal evidence.

"Of course, the Watson algorithm simply says that users are talking about the Apple Watch, not necessarily buying it."

Thats the most important sentence. It's qualitative vs quantitative, Right now all it's doing is gathering data on chatter based on how people feel, not real math. 

• Reply 26 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Damn headline! I read IBM Watson Apple and almost jumped.
    atlapple wrote: »

Thats the most important sentence. It's qualitative vs quantitative, Right now all it's doing is gathering data on chatter based on how people feel, not real math. 

There is no Watch sales data and hopefully never will be. No one's guess is better than any one else's.

We do know it's successful but no numbers.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

This has become a thread about the watch and its doomsayers rather than about this interesting (and potentially double-edged) application of the powerful and portentious Watson AI technology.

But I will just point out that this app (if it becomes popular and influential in its own right) has the potential to warp in on itself, creating self-reinforcing feedback loops where things become more (or less) popular because the app is letting its devoted users know those things are becoming more or less popular.....

....and what are the implications of a digital snake eating its own tail...???

At least I (if only me) find this a Q worth pondering....

Isn't everything that's fed to the public self-inforcing if the public trusts the source?

That's the foundation of hell of a lot of marketing and PR for 100 years; nothing new.

• Reply 28 of 40
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Aim higher - Watson is a failure!

Well, he was never Sherlock Holmes...
  • Reply 29 of 40

The ?Watch will be the hottest holiday gift? Surprise, surprise.

Not.

This Watch will continue to steal sales away from Swiss watchmakers and other competitors.

And I love the square shaped watch face.

• Reply 30 of 40
    mubaili wrote: »
    levi wrote: »
    And our shares are finally getting a bump today :-)
    Thanks to Goldman Sachs, not IBM though :-)

You don't understand... Goldman Sachs asked Watson before their report... Watson didn't mention the watch, but did tell Goldman Sachs to dump Google and put everything on Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    foggyhill wrote: »

Isn't everything that's fed to the public self-inforcing if the public trusts the source?
    That's the foundation of hell of a lot of marketing and PR for 100 years; nothing new.

THIS is new, and waaaaay above your knowledge level.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    omgomg1 wrote: »
    So basically everyone makes their decisions based on IBM's Watson.

No, Watson is predicting, based on what people are saying today, what they will be doing/buying next month. It's not based on what people are DOING today.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    brucemc wrote: »
    That can't be!  Almost every media/tech/financial blogger and news site, together with majority of pundits, have already classified this product as a failure!  Not to mention millions of internet forum posters.

Clearly this app is also a failure!
    /s
    IMHO you only think everyone is saying it's a failure because your primary news source is articles at Apple enthusiast sites. There's really not much recent discussion I've seen about the Apple Watch even on tech focused sites, much less negative news about it. Honestly I believe some issues are purposely emphasized on Apple-centric sites simply to rally the troops as tho Apple is still the perpetual underdog fighting the good fight.

The Apple Watch could not be construed as a failure by any measure.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not quite sure what your saying here, wasn't commenting Watson's tech, was commenting how a trusted source was an influence on the public. If they trust watson, it will just be the same.

As for way above my knowledge level; I think I can handle it, been lead engineer in 4 startups in 25 years and got a grad level in computer engineering; I'm sort of OK with tech... ;-).

• Reply 35 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

....and taking place in much nearer to real time than anything in the past....

....it also bodes to crowd out the visibility of alternatives once something is trending....

Also more evidence that Watson and Siri are at least considering dating if not already foolin' around...  :)

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Not quite sure what your saying here, wasn't commenting Watson's tech, was commenting how a trusted source was an influence on the public. If they trust watson, it will just be the same.

As for way above my knowledge level; I think I can handle it, been lead engineer in 4 startups in 25 years and got a grad level in computer engineering; I'm sort of OK with tech... ;-).

If you knew anything about anything, you wouldn't be in this bar drinking with us. Doh.

Another beer?

/s

• Reply 37 of 40
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMHO you only think everyone is saying it's a failure because your primary news source is articles at Apple enthusiast sites. There's really not much recent discussion I've seen about the Apple Watch even on tech focused sites, much less negative news about it. Honestly I believe some issues are purposely emphasized on Apple-centric sites simply to rally the troops as tho Apple is still the perpetual underdog fighting the good fight.

The Apple Watch could not be construed as a failure by any measure.

Actually, I read much more broadly than AppleInsider, thank you.  Stereotype much - if someone thinks favourably of Apple then they must only read Apple-centrice sites?  Without a doubt, the vast majority of the coverage I have seen since the launch of AW (across tech sites, general news sites, and traditional newspapers) has been "negative in tone" on the AW.  That there is less (negative) news in the last month is simply that the focus has changed to Apple's other products which are failures out of the gate - AppleTV4 and iPad Pro.

I dare you to post that last sentence on any non-Apple centric website forum and see what replies you get.

• Reply 38 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    brucemc wrote: »
    Actually, I read much more broadly than AppleInsider, thank you.  Stereotype much - if someone thinks favourably of Apple then they must only read Apple-centrice sites?  Without a doubt, the vast majority of the coverage I have seen since the launch of AW (across tech sites, general news sites, and traditional newspapers) has been "negative in tone" on the AW.  That there is less (negative) news in the last month is simply that the focus has changed to Apple's other products which are failures out of the gate - AppleTV4 and iPad Pro.

I dare you to post that last sentence on any non-Apple centric website forum and see what replies you get.
    What do you think would happen? IMO you'd see a considerate discussion of the merits. Heck I've seen Android fansites where an iPad gets the recommendation over Android tablets. I've seen Android fan sites where the iPhone gets the nod from members over a competing Android one.

So I don't remember any of the Android forum sites I've visited being particularly "anti-Apple". In fact the one I visit most frequently rarely has "trollish" comments when Apple is discussed. Here's some examples if you're actually curious.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/608295-apple-music.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/592657-aggravated-ios-android-back-forth.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/600238-going-dark-side-android-iphone.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/551349-cheap-wireless-steaming-tv-youtube-etc-any-advice.html

All in all the comments seem reasonably thoughtful, don't you think?
  • Reply 39 of 40

Try to type in google: "Apple sucks" and observe huge amounts of t-shirts, logos and other crap containing the phrase.

Try now to do "Android sucks" - the results - the same Apple sucks pages fall out.

http://www.zazzle.com/apple+sucks+tshirts

What a surprize....

Turns out, Apple fans are not keen on crapping over Android logos.

Sadly, you can't say the same about Android fans.