Apple acknowledges iPad Pro screen blackouts, offers no immediate word of upcoming fix

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Apple on Thursday posted a new support document on its website, responding to complaints about iPad Pros suddenly going black and refusing to accept touch or button input.

The issue can be temporarily resolved by force restarting, Apple said. This involves holding the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds or more until the Apple logo appears onscreen.

The company added that it's "investigating" the glitch, but didn't indicate whether it was working on a solution, only promising that it would update the document as new information emerges.

The blackout problem has been known since the Pro shipped last week, with some owners complaining on Apple's support forums and to sites like AppleInsider.

A common factor appears to be charging. Numerous anecdotes have pointed to blackouts occurring after charging the tablet for an extended period of time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Blackoutgate!

• Reply 2 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    My wifes Pro does this.  Hope they get this fixed ASAP.

I didn't know that you're a Mormon. ;)
  • Reply 3 of 66

If it requires force restarting it is likely an OS Kernel or firmware problem.

Track it down and fix it asap.

• Reply 4 of 66
    Again using their Customers as their Beta testers....
  • Reply 5 of 66
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

I think you meant to say this was all Obama's fault?

• Reply 6 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    larrymagoo wrote: »

I have an iPad Pro and have not experienced this issue.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    The company added that it's "investigating" the glitch, but didn't indicate whether it was working on a solution.

(?)
  • Reply 8 of 66
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Sad to see that Apple's once vaunted quality control continues to decrease each year.

So much for the old "it just works" system of old.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

The company added that it's "investigating" the glitch, but didn't indicate whether it was working on a solution.

(?)

How do you work on a solution before the problem has been investigated and a source been identified?

Just put the code in a  blender and see what pours out? Random typing?

So that "investigating" is the understandable starting point that MUST precede "working on a solution" and, in many lands, is an accepted part OF working on a  solution. Granted in others "when in fear, when in doubt, run in circles: scream and shout!" is the approved approach.

• Reply 10 of 66
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I have an iPad Pro and have not experienced this issue.

I do not have the issue described (no need for a reset here), but when I charge from a computer, I can't wake up the device using the home button, but pressing the on/off switch turns it on instantly... And there is no issue at all when charging using the power brick. Something is a bit off there, but at least it is nothing serious.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    saarek wrote: »
    Sad to see that Apple's once vaunted quality control continues to decrease each year.

Sadly quality and supply chain control has taken a back seat to "let's make as much money as possible"
  • Reply 12 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

That "system of old" probably had 1% of the code the current system has. If that. And a parallel ratio  of units shipped.

• Reply 13 of 66

Another awesome Tim Cook rollout. No Pencil or Keyboard for 5 weeks after launch, screen blackout and an extremely poor job optimizing iOS 9 for the Pro. The wasted space on the Pro is pathetic.

• Reply 14 of 66
    saarek wrote: »

AFAICT that is a grave misconception. We use Apple equipment since 1983, in my current company since 2004, and the amount of returns and repairs has never been lower than it is today. What has increased is the hysteria of entitled cretins who rather post the same alarmist stuff to a dozen sites before even trying to have the vendor fix something.
  • Reply 15 of 66
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by portcity View Post

Sadly quality and supply chain control has taken a back seat to "let's make as much money as possible"

Horseshit.

• Reply 17 of 66
    Ultimately, and this isn't a slam, but these things happen with new devices. (Goodness knows the Surface Book is a mess) Part of why I'm waiting for revision 2 (at least) on the iPad Pro and Apple Watch.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    ?

I didn't know that you're a Mormon.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    ncee wrote: »
    ?

I didn't know that you're a Mormon.

Maybe because of the "wifes"?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    nceencee Posts: 857member

Ok, seems a bit harsh for that, but hey, maybe spelling it for him would be as much of a smack up-side the head as is needed?

wives