Apple acknowledges iPad Pro screen blackouts, offers no immediate word of upcoming fix

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    My iPad pro has done it twice, & I got it on release day. Im glad Apple has recognized the problem. Both times was after i had let it charge to 100% overnight.
  • Reply 42 of 66

This is a problem with the iCloud restore.  It happened to me also, then i did factory reset and set it up as a new device(no restore) and it worked just fine after that.   

• Reply 43 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

I want one but I think the 2nd generation is the one to wait for. Seems odd they left out the 3D Touch to me.

I'm one of those early adopters, so I had to get it.   Being an early adopter has always had it's downsides.

• Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Again using their Customers as their Beta testers....

Shit happens, unfortunately. Even Apple isn't perfect. 

Have a look at the junk peddled by the competition for a little bit of perspective. 

• Reply 45 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    mauijoe wrote: »
    I want one but I think the 2nd generation is the one to wait for. Seems odd they left out the 3D Touch to me.
    I'm not clear on how 3D Touch would integrate into a tablet-pen duo. It seems they'd be able to duplicate that with a pressure move of the pen. Maybe they have?
  • Reply 46 of 66
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I'm not clear on how 3D Touch would integrate into a tablet-pen duo. It seems they'd be able to duplicate that with a pressure move of the pen. Maybe they have?

No, they have not (yet), and I do not think it is an issue either. How would you force touch the upper right corner while holding the device in your left hand? How would you force touch when the thing sits in the Smart Keyboard (without tilting or at least moving the whole enchilada)... Developers have ample space here to include additional functionality, and the icon shortcuts could maybe be addressed differently (e.g. find a different solution for the wiggle mode and show shortcut menus on long press...).

No idea what their long term plans are. Maybe 3D Touch will make it to the iPads once technical problems / limitations are resolved. How much thicker and heavier would the Pro be with the additional sensors in the backlight, is that measuring method even precise enough to measure variations on such a large surface? There is a lot we do not know yet...

• Reply 47 of 66
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My wifes Pro does this.  Hope they get this fixed ASAP.

Go back to Android you Apple hater!!

• Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shit happens, unfortunately. Even Apple isn't perfect. 

Have a look at the junk peddled by the competition for a little bit of perspective. 

NO! No! NO!!

It is irrelevant IMHO opinion what any other vendor is selling or how shit it is. You don't go "its ok everyone else is bad/worse". That's deflection away from any error or defect to avoid addressing the issue.

"Good enough" is one of the worse things a manufacturer can do IMHO

You strive to best in class, produce the best and be so far ahead in quality that everyone else is in your shadow, which is where most people put Apple in. They are the apex "predator", the point of attack for anyone striving to replace them and thus why any "issues" are flagged

That attitude I'm reading into your post leads to mediocrity and falling back into the quagmire of the masses (apologies if i'm misinterpreting your post!).

• Reply 49 of 66
    I have the Pro and it had the blacked out screen issue. A complete reset and restore seemed to update iOS and it's now OK. Reminds me of my 6S which had to have iOS restored to function correctly. Perhaps a sign of the supply chain starting up before the OS is fully ready...? In both cases the devices were shipped just after being launched.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Exactly the same experience as me. Both times the Pro was apparently dead after overnight charging. Holding down the two buttons brought it back to life.

• Reply 51 of 66
    NO! No! NO!!
    It is irrelevant IMHO opinion what any other vendor is selling or how shit it is. You don't go "its ok everyone else is bad/worse". That's deflection away from any error or defect to avoid addressing the issue.
    "Good enough" is one of the worse things a manufacturer can do IMHO
    You strive to best in class, produce the best and be so far ahead in quality that everyone else is in your shadow, which is where most people put Apple in. They are the apex "predator", the point of attack for anyone striving to replace them and thus why any "issues" are flagged
    That attitude I'm reading into your post leads to mediocrity and falling back into the quagmire of the masses (apologies if i'm misinterpreting your post!).

Manufacturing issues existed under Steve Jobs' watch as well. From iBook logic board issues to video-card issues with the early unibody MacBook Pros. Don't take my word for it, look it all up.

On average, however, even on their worst days, Apple still rules in terms build quality, service and support, from cradle to grave.

No one is taking a laissez-faire attitude here. But it's important that our perspective be realistic. It's a good way to keep your blood pressure in check.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If Tim Cook appoints a SVP of Software Quality, I will be impressed. But there has never been such a C-level executive, so it's not that important to Apple.

Quality has to be built into the product and not slapped on after the fact. Quality is cultural and Apple already has plenty of senior executives who are setting the tone for the company's culture, starting with Tim Cook. Culture cannot be delegated. If the development teams aren't dedicated to building quality into the products the culture needs to change. But I truly believe Apple's culture is deeply entrenched in building quality into their products and Tim Cook is setting the tone for this. Something else is interfering with the execution, whether other cultural factors or their software/product development process. Other cultural factors such as extreme secrecy and lack of partner trust may be interfering with Apple's ability to fully verify & validate new products in customer representative scenarios much earlier in the development cycle and well prior to launch. We've seen that Apple's closest partners are prone to insider leaks and aren't above wholesale copying of Apple's innovations based on knowledge they acquire working with Apple. We've also seen Apple's own employees leaving prototypes in bars. Not that these are widespread or frequently occurring situations but they are damaging and cause concern that alters behavior. I don't see how bringing in another SVP below Tim Cook would solve this problem. They already have all the right positions/roles defined to figure this out. Maybe they need some new players in some of these roles but adding another figurehead role in the mahogany clad office suite is wasted overhead and fluff - in my opinion.

• Reply 53 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "Some" users of the new Nexus 5x find response lacking while charging so yeah, stuff happens. They're new devices. In the case of both it's almost certainly a software issue that get's fixed post-haste.
  • Reply 54 of 66

Of course they are looking into a fix FFS.

Also, anyone who picks out a fault with a new product (especially one that can be worked around so easily as a temporary measure) and then pulls out the trusty "Old Apple would have never done this, their quality is poor" nonsense is a total bell end.

• Reply 55 of 66

I find iOS 9 to be a significant improvement to prior updates. Are you just referring to appearances? Because I think there is definitely room for improvement with regard to usability.

Not appearances. I'm running iOS 8.4.1 and if I play an episode (any episode) of the "Birth. Movies. Death." Podcast, then allow the phone screen to turn off (or I push the power button to turn it off) while the podcast is playing, it keeps playing. But if I then turn on the screen by pressing the home button or power button, iOS will kernel panic and reboot. EVERYTIME. So far the issue only happens with that podcast. Other podcasts work perfectly.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Enable "Hey Siri" poof, problem gone.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    I have had this problem with my iPhone 6 many times. It goes in streaks where it may happen as many as 5 or 6 times before the problem goes away. Very aggravating! I have a friend who has the sudden black outs on his 6 also. my IOS is updated. That said, it now has been over a week since it happened last.
  • Reply 58 of 66

Also happens on iPhone 4s, particularly annoying when the top button has stopped working. 

• Reply 59 of 66
    saarek wrote: »
    Sad to see that Apple's once vaunted quality control continues to decrease each year.

So much for the old "it just works" system of old.

I know you like to troll for these types of articles and latch on, but what nonsense. you have absolutely zero data to back up your assertion that quality is decreasing. a few reports on tech sites does not an epidemic make.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    portcity wrote: »
    Sadly quality and supply chain control has taken a back seat to "let's make as much money as possible"

do you have any facts to back up your sad, sad narrative? or are you just another "concerned" guy..what do we call those?