PowerMac 4 versus IMAC 17"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Need opinions on whether IMAC 17" will be more than adequate for my use or need the PowerMac G4:

I use my current Dell(Pentium III XPS B800r) about 8-10 hours daily with extensive time spend on Internet (E-mail, downloading files/presentations/upgrades, news, stock market data, reseaching websites),MS Word and MS Excel. Heavy multi-tasking involved inasmuch as switch often from IE, Word, Excel, etc. Of course, have to reboot often due to resources limitations with MS!!!!!!!!!

[ 09-01-2002: Message edited by: switchfromdell ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The iMac 17" would do all those tasks just fine. I run a 700mhz iBook with 384 megs ram for the past 4 months and I have maybe shut it down a couple times. If you get the Powermac you will have room to upgrade in the future which may be better for you but your going to spend a lot more money. The iMacs are great comps and will get the job done for you just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Get the tower, it'll last a lot longer. Put it under your desk. Use your current CRT.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    By the way, it's Power Mac G4.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I agree with Matsu, get the PowerMac G4!

Since you multitask so much, doing all that stuff, you need all the power you can get, and for multitaskin', multiprocessors should be exactly what you want! Get the Dual867, upgrade the RAM from the money you saved compared to the iMac and use the monitor you already have.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Go for the tower if you can afford it. It will last longer and the dual G4s will multiprocess faster than you can. The iMac is a nice computer but with no expandability and a single CPU, it just don't compare to the Powermacs. Even the low end Powermac is a good computer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ok I'm going to disagree now. Why should he waste the money if he doesn't have to? All he's doing is running Office, Mail, and IE. Apparently he wants a 17" display so you'd have to factor that in with the tower. Plus the 17" Studio Display isn't widescreen. If you feel like blowing a ton of money on a computer then by all means buy the tower. But I can honestly say that you don't really need a huge power horse for what you're doing. An iBook could probably handle that half-way decently. Save the money for Office and some other software and extra add-ons. The iMac rocks period.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Microsoft Office isn't exactly a CPU-chugging powerhouse suite of software. Any iMac would work just fine. It's an especially good deal with the built-in LCD display. If you haven't seen one in person, I suggest you go visit your nearest Apple retailer.

However, if you are going to use an existing monitor or get a really cheap one, the low-end tower is a pretty good deal.

17" iMac = US$1999

dual 867 tower = US$1699

Personally, I'd take the PowerMac tower. The lowest model is notably cheaper than the 17" iMac, has faster processors and bus, and offers far superior expandability.

Important note: don't buy extra RAM from Apple. They'll change way too much for it. Buy some from <a href="http://www.ramjet.com"; target="_blank">www.ramjet.com</a> or some other online retailer. If you shop around, you can find memory a lot cheaper than Apple's.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    there is always the cuteness factor. go iMac.