Samsung wows investors with futuristic tech that Apple's iPhone is already delivering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator
    mobius wrote: »
    Whilst I normally enjoy these digs at Samsung, I thought the concensus among reviewers was that the fingerprint scanner technology in their newest models was a vast improvement and on a par with Apple's Touch ID.

Would you trust it, though? One way to have the sensor react faster is to loosen the security, accept a wider range of sensed patterns as positive matches. Not saying this is part of how Sammy made their sensors come closer to matching the apparent performance of Apple's, but... would you trust they haven't done something like that? I wouldn't. Not based upon their history.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Much thank to you loyalist Samsung fan.

We much appreciate you tell truth the.

Check is in the mail.

Sincerly

Kim Samsung

how much does apple pay you? anytime someone says anything remotely negative against apple (which is not an infallible company free of mistakes), or even simply stating a fact that someone has wrong your litany of snarkiness comes out. this is less of a forum and more of a "sog-r-us".

• Reply 23 of 64
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaw-fi View Post

FYI DED

3. Why you did not mention BRITECELL (replacing green pixels with white ones), which was only new tech in Samsung's representation?

Because this is a hastily written, subpar article for DED.  

- No mention of the corresponding Apple tech for a consolidated biometric chip that supposedly already exists.  It is certainly news to me that we already have galvanic skin response, body fat, and electrocardiogram measurements.

- The link for the 30% return rate for Samsung Gear at Best Buy refers to an article that is 2 years old and a previous product generation, before there was an Apple Watch (keep in mind the theme of the article).

- Attribution of Deep Trench Isolation for CMOS camera sensors to Apple.  I could find patents for this owned by TSMC and Omnivision (a former camera module supplier for Apple), but not Apple (I was expecting to find that Sony owned them): http://www.google.com/patents/US20120025199, http://www.google.com/patents/US20060180885

- An ending to an article about how Samsung is playing catch-up, where the focus changes to screen resolutions and Samsung's inability to improve from a base resolution that we don't yet have (I'm not arguing that we should, but this undermines the argument).

I loved a DED hit piece as much as the next guy, but only when it doesn't strain credulity and deliver a victory that ultimately feels hollow.  He gets it right so much of the time that I had to react to this one.

• Reply 24 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    Would you trust it, though? One way to have the sensor react faster is to loosen the security, accept a wider range of sensed patterns as positive matches. Not saying this is part of how Sammy made their sensors come closer to matching the apparent performance of Apple's, but... would you trust they haven't done something like that? I wouldn't. Not based upon their history.
    If they followed Google's fingerprint reader requirements, which of course they may not (afterall, they're Samsung!) that would not be of much concern.

To comply with Google security/payment requirements the fingerprint reader:

MUST have a false acceptance rate not higher than 0.002%.

MUST rate limit attempts for at least 30 seconds after 5 false trials for fingerprint
    verification.

MUST have a hardware-backed keystore implementation, and perform the fingerprint
    matching in a Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) or on a chip with a secure channel to
    the TEE.

MUST have all identifiable fingerprint data encrypted and cryptographically authenticated
    such that they cannot be acquired, read or altered outside of the Trusted Execution
    Environment (TEE) as documented in the implementation guidelines on the Android Open
    Source Project site [Resources, 96].

MUST prevent adding a fingerprint without first establishing a chain of trust by having the
    user confirm existing or add a new device credential (PIN/pattern/password) using the TEE
    as implemented in the Android Open Source project.

MUST NOT enable 3rd-party applications to distinguish between individual fingerprints.

MUST honor the DevicePolicyManager.KEYGUARD_DISABLE_FINGERPRINT flag.

MUST, when upgraded from a version earlier than Android 6.0, have the fingerprint data
    securely migrated to meet the above requirements or removed
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It just seems hard to believe Samsung doesn't gain knowledge from the work it does for Apple, it would not otherwise. Let us not forget Bill Gates having access to the first Mac OS when hired by Apple to develop Steve's concept, Office for Mac, before Windows existed or Office for the PC for that matter. Wholesale intellectual theft was the very basis of Microsoft why not Samsung's mobile strategy?

i am sure that apple, after learning from mr. gates, has one heck of a contract that prevents samsung from using the apple knowhow.

• Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

Check is in the mail.

Sincerly

Kim Samsung

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

He is actually a Korean orphan working from the Samsung comments factory.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

Thank you DED for your undercover work. Luckily you escaped intact. I would hate to have to send VICE TV and Dennis Rodman to negotiate for your release.

Hating Samsung is one thing, but being a bigot is unacceptable.

• Reply 27 of 64
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    About photo quality between Apple and Samsung. While the average person might not be able to tell the difference. On the DxO benchmarks, the iPhone 6S camera only ranked about 10th while the Samsung S6 was in the top 5 with Sony's Z5 beating them both to first place with its high-density 21MP sensor! Apple's iPhone camera's technical performance is currently behind most of its latest competitors not ahead. But again most people wouldn't notice that in their photos unless they really scrutinized them.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

Check is in the mail.

Sincerly

Kim Samsung

Well, you can always prove me wrong. Just search source that says Galaxy S5 does not have Samsung's ISOCELL sensor (Galaxy S6 does not have btw, it uses Sony's sensor -- but don't trust me, search info yourself). 

• Reply 29 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

About photo quality between Apple and Samsung. While the average person might not be able to tell the difference. On the DxO benchmarks, the iPhone 6S camera only ranked about 10th while the Samsung S6 was in the top 5 with Sony's Z5 beating them both to first place with its high-density 21MP sensor! Apple's iPhone camera's technical performance is currently behind most of its latest competitors not ahead. But again most people wouldn't notice that in their photos unless they really scrutinized them.

Always a tradeoff for sensor area, and Apple chose a smaller imager over a larger camera bulge, and in open blind test, won over other premium smartphones, and as well, the 6s Plus with OIS has not yet been reviewed; I expect it to see a bump of one or two points in the DxO tests. Mostly though, the iPhone has had sufficiently good quality, features, and performance so that the buyer is happy.

Truth is, smartphones are hitting a wall with sensors, and single sensor configurations will likely fall to multi-sensor configurations in the future. 

• Reply 30 of 64
    I'm going to have to agree with I think the majority on this one. He seems to be stretching facts a little bit to prove a point. This is one of his less impressive postings. While I'm all for slamming Samsung, let's hit at least play it straight with the facts.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Sensor with Deep Trench Isolation Structure - CN102347338A, CN102347338B, US8390089InventorsSzu-Ying Chen, Chun-Chieh Chuang, Jen-Cheng Liu, Dun-Nian YaungOriginal AssigneeTaiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company

Filing date Jul 27, 2010

https://www.google.com/patents/US20120025199

Apple's innovations never cease to amaze.

• Reply 32 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    tmay wrote: »
    , the 6s Plus with OIS has not yet been reviewed; I expect it to see a bump of one or two points in the DxO tests.
    I thought it had. You might look again.
    http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality
  • Reply 33 of 64
    disgusting article headline appears on my google news feed. oh it's from appleinsider. go figure.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Quote:

Check is in the mail.

Sincerly

Kim Samsung

how much does apple pay you? anytime someone says anything remotely negative against apple (which is not an infallible company free of mistakes), or even simply stating a fact that someone has wrong your litany of snarkiness comes out. this is less of a forum and more of a "sog-r-us".

Sog's sig as of 11/20/15 is still: "15,000,000 AppleWatch's in 12 months or bust

$150 AAPL share price by 12.31.15 or banishment."

Not much over a month till no more Sog anyway.  AAPL will not move anywhere close to that $150 mark by 12/31 and if he's any kind of a real man he'll stick to his own banishment...

Even if he does, I'm sure we'll see some new user appear shortly after with a new name that says a lot of things that Sog used to though ;)

• Reply 35 of 64
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member

You are correct. I didn't look very closely in the comparison scores on the right. At any rate, I do see that most all of the competing premium smartphones have eliminated the weaknesses that kept them from exceeding the iPhone in the past.

• Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

I'm sorry but isn't this an Apple fansite?

If you want to bash Apple constantly head to MacRumors, they will welcome you with open arms.

I'll admit I'm sort of an Apple fanboy but with good reason. They are one of the few companies remaining that actual release high quality product instead of pleasing the lowest common denominator and then make profits by violating your privacy.  What other company out there in consumer electronics makes good product?  Samsung?  Sony? Google?  HTC?  Microsoft? Give me a break.  They are so far behind Apple its not even funny.

Apple does pay me......with quarterly dividends.

this is an apple rumour site. even an apple fan like myself (i only mess about with android and test the ms surface- my house and family is all apple) can point out some faults of apple and not turn to racial knocks against another race. being a fan and trying to lambaste any/everyone who says differently is different. apple may be far ahead in some areas, but they have some trouble- they launched the iPad pro that needs a restart after charging full. i have not read that as a problem with the microsoft surface (though it has other issues). that is a quality control issue that should have been caught.

apple pays me dividends too, though i am not afraid to point out/acknowledge their faults, without resorting to racism. represent apple the way they represent themselves. 

• Reply 37 of 64
    macaw-fi wrote: »
    FYI DED

1. Samsung unveiled ISOCELL tech couple years ago. They have used it already in Galaxy S5 and in Note 4. 
    2. Therefore, Samsung used tech well before Apple (or actually Deep Trench is Sony's tech and so is Focus Pixels).
    3. Why you did not mention BRITECELL (replacing green pixels with white ones), which was only new tech in Samsung's representation?

It's DED. He only posts sensationalist garbage. He's basically the Fox News of AI
  • Reply 38 of 64

"Much thank to you loyalist Samsung fan.

We much appreciate you tell truth the."

Quote:

WRONG.  Those comments are not racist.  They are facts.

that is a bit racist. 

and let's not pretend apple never had help from the leader of their country

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2013/08/03/president-obama-vetoes-itc-ban-on-iphone-ipads-apple-happy-samsung-not/

• Reply 39 of 64
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    robertc wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Hating Samsung is one thing, but being a bigot is unacceptable. Have fun at your next Klan meeting.</span>

Samsung has engaged in wholesale intellectual property theft, decimated the Japanese electronics industry, attempting to do the same with Apple, has had their offices raided by the Korean version of the FBI, etc.

Read- http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Proof by "I think..." LOL