Still severely constrained at Apple's own stores, Apple Pencil expands to Best Buy

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
The Apple Pencil for iPad Pro launched at electronics retailer Best Buy on Friday, with some stores showing inventory in stock, despite the fact that Apple's own retail locations continue to face constraints.

As of Friday, shoppers can check Best Buy's website to see if their local location is carrying the Apple Pencil. Online orders for the stylus are not yet available.

This year, Best Buy has become a closer retail partner with Apple, serving many areas where the iPad maker doesn't have a retail presence. Accordingly, Best Buy locations have sold new devices like the fourth-generation Apple TV on product launch day, alongside Apple's own retail outlets.

Best Buy was also among the first to discount the Apple Watch, offering savings of up to $50 off new purchases of the wearable device. The company also began offering and servicing AppleCare and AppleCare+ warranties this summer.

Availability of the Apple Pencil has been extremely limited since it went on sale last week, due to apparent production issues with the Bluetooth accessory. It is only compatible with Apple's new jumbo-sized iPad Pro.

For more, see AppleInsider's first look at the Apple Pencil, as well as a breakdown of what it can and cannot do. The drawing and pointing tool is priced at $99.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Why would they expand it if their own supply is constrained?
  • Reply 2 of 25

Oh, cool. Will Best Buy have an Apple Pencil on display to test with a display iPad Pro?

• Reply 3 of 25

Initially, I must admit to getting a bit pissed -- after all, mine, ordered late last week, will become available for Apple Store pickup only on Dec 17.

But I just checked, and it says that that there isn't one available for store pickup in a Best Buy within a 250 mile radius of where I live (and that includes a few large cities).

I can live with that.....

• Reply 4 of 25
    Nice gesture on Apple's part to supply inventory to BB for people like me that live 100 miles from the nearest Apple Store. I am a little surprised they would ship a constrained item to anyone besides themselves. However I just checked and the closest BB with inventory is in a city with an Apple store. Go figure.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    There is something very wrong with this rollout...I ordered mine at 12:03 am the morning they went on sale and my order STILL says shipping in 1-2 weeks while others ordering days after me are getting their's already. I got one at BestBuy today and cancelled my Apple online order.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Initially, I must admit to getting a bit pissed -- after all, mine, ordered late last week, will become available for Apple Store pickup only on Dec 17.

But I just checked, and it says that that there isn't one available for store pickup in a Best Buy within a 250 mile radius of where I live (and that includes a few large cities).

Nothing near mine either. My guess is very few if any Best Buy stores have Pencils right now.
  • Reply 7 of 25

"Best Buy associates will direct customers to the Apple website and help them place an order for the Pencil." :)
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Best Buy associates will direct customers to the Apple website and help them place an order for the Pencil." image

LMAO!

• Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Same here in San Diego area.

• Reply 10 of 25
    They must have had a deal to provide them.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member

Kind of upset that they start stocking shelves before fulfilling orders made on day 1.

• Reply 12 of 25
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

I checked: Not available within 250 miles of my zip code. (Texas, btw)

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

i found the same thing but it let me order one for delivery next Tuesday - still beating my apple order by a couple of weeks... $99 plus 19.99 fast shipping - 

• Reply 14 of 25
    I ordered my pencil on the Best Buy website and it will be here on 11/23
  • Reply 15 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I need the keyboard far more than the pencil...the lack of any anywhere is a disappointment.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I ordered both pencil and keyboard the first day orders could be placed. Both still show zero progress toward actually shipping them to me (the continue to say 1-2 weeks).

Granted, I have no urgent need for them. I guess I had grown used to under-promising and over-delivering. That's clearly not to be the case here.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

i found the same thing but it let me order one for delivery next Tuesday - still beating my apple order by a couple of weeks... $99 plus 19.99 fast shipping - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbummy View Post

I ordered my pencil on the Best Buy website and it will be here on 11/23

I don't get how/where in the Best Buy website you're able to do this.

When I click on 'Check Stores,' it says, "Sorry, not available." Under 'Product Availability', and 'Shipping,' it says "Not Available." Under 'Product Availability', and 'Store Pickup,' it says "Store Pickup Not Available."

Unless you guys are pulling fast one here (no offense! :D), what exactly is the option on the BB website you're using to get it next week?

• Reply 18 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

I ordered it last night and I got Pencil at Best Buy and it was an hour and half drive. 

• Reply 19 of 25
    I purchased the iPad Pro at my local Apple Store only to find no accessories were available. not even the logi keypad. After checking bestbuy and the need for a keyboard I decided to purchase the logi create keyboard for $149. No pencils were available at the time. Upon checking the website the next morning several bestbuy retailers has the pencil in stock. By the time I clicked to purchase my local store had already sold out strictly online so I looked at the next available and was able to buy for same day pickup on 11/20. Since bestbuy has a return policy thru January for Items purchased at this time I'll simply keep the smart create keyboard until they revive the smart keyboard and swap them out.

Long story short check bestbuy online daily and you should find some success. I actually purchased both the pencil and keyboard prior to them stocking the floor.
  • Reply 20 of 25

Regarding Black Friday (I’m surprised we haven’t seen a thread on that yet), Apple will discount the iPad Pro (or not and give a gift card), but by how much do they generally discount accessories?