New Adele album to be withheld from Apple Music, Spotify, other streaming services

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by willgonz View Post

That's ok there are other ways to acquire it, but you won't get any money for it.

Spoken like a true cheap ass and common criminal.

• Reply 82 of 102
    willgonz wrote: »
    We live in a sorry world where artists make more than doctors who save lives.  I sing a song therefore I should make millions.

No, you live in a world where there is still voluntary exchange at work (less so in the healthcare/medical arena thanks to forced compliance and extremely heavy government regulation). At least no one in Washington is forcing anyone to buy music (yet).
  • Reply 83 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's 2015. Any artist that "withholds" their music from a streaming service might as will just give up.

It's 2015. Any music lover that can't afford to pay a couple bucks for a song is a cheap ass. 

It's 2015. The age of the entitlement generation. Everyone owes you something for free.

It's 2015. Streaming services are built on a business model that doesn't work unless royalty payments are set a a ridiculously low amount.

• Reply 84 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I'll just get it for free.

Another cheap ass thief that is proud of stealing.

Why don't you go steal some groceries or a flat screen television while you're at it?

• Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:

We live in a sorry world where artists make more than doctors who save lives.  I sing a song therefore I should make millions.

The vast majority of working musicians don't make more than doctors. The musicians that make millions are such an extremely small percentage of working musicians.

• Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:

You could have pirated it and gotten it right now.

I'm sorry to tell you all.  You might be the only honest ones out there, but a lot of people pirate music.  A majority pirate it or stream it through Pandora.  

Willgonz, ya know, you don't need to pay for stuff. You can just steal it. Lot' of people do it. They are called criminals.

• Reply 87 of 102
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In October Adele's talent agency, William Morris Endeavor, was rumored to have pitched Apple on a $30 million tour sponsorship deal. The pitch may have even included a request to stock CDs in Apple Stores, which was allegedly turned down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Burrell View Post

Why on earth would Apple stock a form of media (CDs) that they don't currently support on any of their products except for their non-Retina Macbook Pro?

I agree.

If true, this pitch by her talent agency to include stocking CDs in Apple Stores is dumb and anachronistic. Nobody goes to an Apple Store to buy music, much less music in a form they can't access on their iPhones/iPods. 

• Reply 88 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    am8449 wrote: »

I agree.

If true, this pitch by her talent agency to include stocking CDs in Apple Stores is dumb and anachronistic. Nobody goes to an Apple Store to buy music, much less music in a form they can't access on their iPhones/iPods. 
    Dumb to make the pitch? Hardly. Nothing wrong with trying is there?
  • Reply 89 of 102
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

I agree that artists need to make money off their hard work!

I just don't want to pay the studios for adding nothing in the way of value. Yet they take the highest share!

Sure.  I think farmers should get some money for their work, but I don't want to pay the other parties in the food chain as I don't think they deserve it, yet they take the largest share.

So I just steal food from the supermarket

/s

I wonder if there have been any studies into why the majority of people now believe there is nothing immoral about pirating content.  It isn't that a few do it in the underground - many do, they are proud of it, and they defend their actions publicly (see this thread).

• Reply 90 of 102
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

There are countless millions of people who won't stream music. Those are the generations brought up on Vinyl (I work in the building where EMI packaged LP's such as Sgt Pepper) and Cassette. We prefer physical media.

To stream you have to have an umbilical cord to the internet. I go places where this is not possible so I take my music with me. All from Vinyl or CD. We generally don't download either.

There is nothing wrong in my eyes with her decision.

Oh, I'm buying music on Vinyl again. Sounds brilliant on my Quad Electostatics.

While I think artists who withhold their music from streaming services are doing the right thing because of the tiny royalties that are paid by these services, to say that there are "countless millions" of people who won't stream music is an absurd statement.   It can only be true if those who won't stream aren't buying music in any other form (which indeed might be the case).

In the U.S. in 2014, only 144.1 million CDs and 13.2 million vinyl LPs were sold.   For the first half of 2015, it's 41.1 million CDs and 9.2 million LPs, so for the full year, I predict that CDs will come in at about 77 million and LPs will come in at about 20 million (which, for all the hype, is nothing - it's what two big hit LPs used to sell, now it's the entire industry).  

The LP market is and will always be a niche market.   It has to be since there are no current manufacturers of cutting lathes anywhere in the world.

At its peak, 942.5 million CDs were sold in the U.S. so you can see how much the industry has declined.   Downloading and streaming has not even come close to making up the difference.   This year will come in between $6 and $7 billion.   At its 1999 peak, it was $14.6 billion, but that $14.6 is $20.6 billion in 2015 dollars, so the total U.S. industry is about a third of its former size and still declining.   

For the first half of 2015 in the U.S., paid digital downloads comprised 40.9% of the revenue (a 3% increase from 2014), streaming comprised 35.4% (6% increase) and physical units comprised just 23.6% (9% drop). 

The decline is not just because of downloading and streaming - it's mostly because the market has changed from an album market to a singles market.  A singles market was only sustainable in the days when an artist went into a studio and recorded three songs in four hours, the first of which were in stores two weeks later.   

• Reply 91 of 102
    Seems like I heard way too much of her last album just over conventional (fm) radio in cars or out and about. I don't care much for her stuff. I bet I'll hear more than I want to of this next album. On a different subject it almost seems from the comments above that to some people a "CD" is a collection of songs (an album) and to some it means the physical optical disk version of the album. How many people that haven't bought a CD in years still say "Hey, did you heat so and so's new CD" or " I think I'll download so and so's new CD".
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple Music was a breath of fresh air for me. I was a little reticent about the idea of streaming; I still prefer to own my music. However, the convenience of Apple Music, the fun, dead-easy interface, and the ability to easily *discover* music, convinced me to subscribe once the trial period is over. Apple's entire music library - ALL OF IT - there for me to enjoy whenever I like. It's an easy sale.

I still buy my music. Apple Music is actually a nice way to decide what I'll be buying. It's like a playground.

Adele and artists like her might do well to make their work available on Apple Music. This kind of service is great for exposure, and additionally, the folks who will be seeing it are known for *paying* for things in the first place.

I concur.  It is awesome.  I wish more artists would use it.

• Reply 93 of 102
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Are you being sarcastic, or are you just ignorant on a galactic level?

• Reply 94 of 102
    Love how this bee-yotch fooled all you media slobs into the free publicity. Most people wouldn't have even known she had a new album releasing until you media shills slobbered all over yourselves to "report" this garbage.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    First
  • Reply 96 of 102
    willgonz wrote: »

Spoken like a clueless moron that obviosly never had to take their child to a doctor between insurance coverage and had to pay 800 f'n dolors for a 1 hour visit. Get a clue moron.
  • Reply 97 of 102
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick LeSwunder View Post

Most people wouldn't have even known she had a new album releasing

Umm, EVERYONE knew Adele was dropping a new album.  It's been reported on practically every conceivable site.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/11/21/adele-25-may-break-one-week-album-sales-record/76171974/

Quote:

Adele's third album, 25, appears well on its way to setting a new record for first-week sales.

Fittingly, the new record is on track for 2.5 million sales, which would overtake the 15-year-old benchmark of 2.42 set by NSYNC's No Strings Attached, Billboard reports. If it hits its projected targets, 25 would also join No Strings Attached as the only other album to sell 2 million copies in its first week of release.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6770264/adele-25-nsync-no-strings-attached-nielsen-soundscan-billboard-charts

Quote:

Sources say the set is on track to sell at least 2.5 million in pure album sales in its first week, and sold more than 900,000 copies alone through the iTunes Store on its first day of release.

It's not like Adele is some obscure, unknown artist.  

• Reply 98 of 102
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's 2015. Any artist that "withholds" their music from a streaming service might as will just give up.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Adele's new album has just set an all-time album sales record in the UK - 68.5% of which were sales of physical CDs and now it's set an all-time record in the US, selling 3.38 million copies in its first week of release.

• Reply 99 of 102
    cnocbui wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Adele's new album has just set an all-time album sales record in the UK - 68.5% of which were sales of physical CDs and now it's set an all-time record in the US, selling 3.38 million copies in its first week of release.
    Adele is doomed
  • Reply 100 of 102
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Adele is doomed

Did you see her BBC special?  Some artists just glow with talent and she's one of them.