AppleInsider podcast goes deep on iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, gaming controllers, 4" iPhones, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Apple's new iPad Pro and accessories are the focus of this week's AppleInsider podcast, as Neil and Mikey share their thoughts on the giant tablet after a week's worth of testing. Shane drops by to discuss iOS-Mac convergence theories and we break down rumors about a supposed 4-inch iPhone set to debut next year.

Chewing through this week's Apple news and rumors are Neil Hughes, Mikey Campbell and Shane Cole, who discuss:
  • A week with iPad Pro
  • Apple Pencil availability
  • Tim Cook says Apple has no plans for iPad/MacBook hybrid
  • Next-gen 4-inch iPhone specs
  • SteelSeries Nimbus game controller
  • Apple's official Apple Watch dock launches
  • DJI Osmo 4K camera and gimbal
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: The show is now also available on Stitcher Radio.

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mikeycampbell81 and @thisisneil.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated, Please send in to the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider. as are questions We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Can any of you who have/are using a Pencil do a quick experiment for me? Does the pencil work through a sheet of printer paper?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Can any of you who have/are using a Pencil do a quick experiment for me? Does the pencil work through a sheet of printer paper?

I just tried this in Apple's Notes app and it worked fine, though I had to turn up the brightness all of the way to see what I was doing through a sheet of paper.

• Reply 3 of 9
    It's not just that Mikey's voice is awesomer. It's his devil-may-care attitude. The perfect antidote to Neil's seriousness. :)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    nhughes wrote: »
    I just tried this in Apple's Notes app and it worked fine, though I had to turn up the brightness all of the way to see what I was doing through a sheet of paper.

Thank you for the test, best thing I've heard all year. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    My fave this week: when Mikey breaks character during a promotional spot and says, "My cat is attacking my computer." And later comments, "That was a terrible piece of copy!"
  • Reply 6 of 9
    At about 9 minutes, people want a "new" PC - not just a personal computer but a pocket computer.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Thank you for the test, best thing I've heard all year. image

Also interested in this. I wonder how much precision is lost with the sheet of paper between. I may try this out at the apple store.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

My fave this week: when Mikey breaks character during a promotional spot and says, "My cat is attacking my computer." And later comments, "That was a terrible piece of copy!"

Exactly. THIS is why I like Mikey! He just says whatever comes to mind.

• Reply 9 of 9

Why doesn't AppleInsider ask an artist to review or contribute to a review of Apple Pencil?

I'm listening to Neil, Shane, and Mikey say they aren't artists, but they're going to review a product intended for people who would produce art on the iPad Pro? The solution is clear: ask an artist.