Still severely constrained at Apple's own stores, Apple Pencil expands to Best Buy

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    its not production issues. if there were production issues Best Buy wouldn't have them because Apple always priorities their own channel over 3rd party.

its more likely that they are going to business customers before the shelf. A local business like a graphics shop, advertising agency, film house etc that wants iPad Pros and accessories is a guaranteed sale. Why wouldn't they give them some special treatment when the device has been fine tuned to try to match their needs more so than the typical customer.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't get how/where in the Best Buy website you're able to do this.

When I click on 'Check Stores,' it says, "Sorry, not available." Under 'Product Availability', and 'Shipping,' it says "Not Available." Under 'Product Availability', and 'Store Pickup,' it says "Store Pickup Not Available."

Unless you guys are pulling fast one here (no offense! :D), what exactly is the option on the BB website you're using to get it next week?

The Best Buy near me (Mall of Georgia) has always been great with Apple devices in stock. Not sure if having an Apple store directly across the street in the Mall of Georgia has anything to do with it. They have a full setup there with an Apple associate in the store, not a Best Buy person. They had every iPad Pro in stock on release day, however now some are saying (check stores) and many are not within 250 miles of my area. 

They must be getting trucks in several times a day because the stock on the Pros will change during business hours on the same day. I got the Pencil by pure luck, I was there picking up and Xbox One for my nephew so I asked if they had any in stock, they just got two off the truck. Yes I said two. So clearly at best they are getting one or two at a time. 

The 128GB Space Gray seems to be limited in my area. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    charlituna wrote: »
    its not production issues. if there were production issues Best Buy wouldn't have them because Apple always priorities their own channel over 3rd party.

its more likely that they are going to business customers before the shelf. A local business like a graphics shop, advertising agency, film house etc that wants iPad Pros and accessories is a guaranteed sale. Why wouldn't they give them some special treatment when the device has been fine tuned to try to match their needs more so than the typical customer.

If you mean Apple business customers I can see that. I agree with wdowell that it probably has to do with their agreement with Best Buy to be a major seller. I've suprised myself by getting several MBPs over the past five years from BB as they sometimes had decent sales when I needed it and also the particular configuration. Plus, even though a market may be technically served by an Apple Store it's sometimes in a pretty inconventient area. (I'm thinking of being in Baltimore and the designated Apple Store in Towson wasn't worth the trip to nor had better prices or better displays than the BB in town.) Even though this is a different scenario with needing to order either way, I'd say Apple values the amount of their product that BB sells enough to treat them with this courtesy of early shipments.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    That's a bit of an odd decision on Apple's part. Maybe they did have a deal already set up with Best Buy? Just because it's for sale doesn't mean it's available though. The supply could be pretty limited. I've been wanting to pick one up since it was announced but I guess I'll just wait and see.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

Best Buy is a popular electronic store. There are over 1,000 Best Buy stores in USA.  There are only 266 Apple Stores and often not reachable by many people.  

So, yes, it makes sense for Best Buy to have some Apple products in stock even if they're limited.