Dropbox & Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS updated with tighter integration for PDF editing

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Collaboration between Dropbox and Adobe has resulted in updates for both the official Dropbox and Acrobat Reader apps, making it easier for users to access and edit their PDFs in the cloud.

The latest versions of Dropbox and Adobe Acrobat Reader will make it easier to work with PDFs in Dropbox, offering editing, saving and syncing capabilities within both apps. Users can annotate and comment on PDFs stored in Dropbox from their iPhone or iPad.

Simply open a PDF from the Dropbox app, then tap the "Edit" icon, then editor or electronically sign the PDF in the Acrobat Reader app. Any changes made to the PDF are then saved to Dropbox.

And in the new Adobe Acrobat Reader app, users can directly browse and open their Dropbox files. Annotations, edits and signatures are then saved back to the linked Dropbox account.

More than 18 billion PDFs are stored in Dropbox accounts, which makes PDF the most common business file type seen on the cloud storage service.

The update is part of a recent partnership between the two companies, which also brought Dropbox account support to the Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader desktop apps last month.

For now, the Dropbox and Acrobat features are exclusive to iOS on mobile devices. Dropbox said on Monday that the same integration will arrive on Android devices next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well, those happen to be the ones I avoid putting on all my machines.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's not updated yet on the Store.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I would expect an integration before Dropbox. As an iOS user most of my files are on iCloud and do a lot of editing on multiple PDF files on a daily basis. I would definitely benefit from having iCloud integration.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    But this did not add support for proper split view on iPad Pro! Sucks!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Despite the resources they have, Adobe is very slow to support new hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a positive opinion of Adobe. So, I’m wary of anything from Adobe these days—especially with network access. 

• Reply 7 of 9
    cakmak wrote: »
    I would expect an integration before Dropbox. As an iOS user most of my files are on iCloud and do a lot of editing on multiple PDF files on a daily basis. I would definitely benefit from having iCloud integration.
    It's a partnership to promote DropBox and Adobe's crap, not iCloud. It's a response to a competitive marketplace.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Has Adobe fixed their Reader app so it's possible to fill in a form that's been password protected but with field-filling allowed? You can fill in those forms in the desktop Adobe Reader, but not in iOS. And without protection, everything else becomes editable, including all of the text on the page. That's not what I want. I just want clients to be able to fill out forms, not edit them.
  • Reply 9 of 9

Well I've tried it and it works well.  The edits you make on iOS are even compatible with Preview on the Mac; you can re-edit using Preview.

Which brings another subject, where is Preview on iOS?

How long does it take Apple to port one of its own apps, we are at iOS 9.1