2017 Mirage will be first US Mitsubishi model with Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
The 2017 Mirage hatchback will be Mitsubishi's first U.S. car with support for Apple's CarPlay standard, according to an announcement from the Japanese automaker.

The vehicle is slated to launch sometime in the spring of 2016, the company said. Like many new and upcoming vehicles, the Mirage will support Google's Android Auto standard as well.

Mitsubishi didn't offer any other details on the car's dash system, though audio will optionally be playable from a 300-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system with ecoPunch, meaning high energy efficiency and low weight.

The company already has CarPlay on the 2016 Pajero, but only in Australia and some European countries.

CarPlay is only now beginning to roll out as a common feature, despite having first launched in March 2014. It took several months for the first compatible vehicles to arrive, and even then they were luxury models from Ferrari, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz, out of reach for the average person.

Car makers such as Honda and GM are finally rolling the technology into more popular models. Improved adoption should happen in 2016, with a greater number of both makers and models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    CarPlay adoption thus far has been absolutely glacial. Not even "global warming" has helped! /s
  • Reply 2 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Do you think Apple can take the dashboard market while simultaneously releasing a successful car of their own?

Imagine that??
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cali wrote: »
    Do you think Apple can take the dashboard market while simultaneously releasing a successful car of their own?

Imagine that??

Actually, I CAN imagine that!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cali wrote: »

Imagine that??

It would certainly be atypical for them, unlike Google and MS that have licensed SW to OEMs while also being and OEM in that same space. More of a conspiracy theory than anything, but what if these Apple Car rumours are mostly to get auto manufacturers to get going with CarPlay so they can at least get an Apple customer in their car before Apple releases theirs. (I did say conspiracy theory. :p)
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Even if your theory isn't actually an apple strategy, you won't be the only one thinking it and therefore it will be having the same effect. What can you do when Apple comes rolling into your bit of turf? I'm just glad I'm on their team!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Imagine that??

I'm hoping this is as close that Apple gets to the Apple car rumor.

Very interesting that increasingly cars support both Google Android and Apple Carplay.

I'm one who would want anything Google turned off in my car, or I'd not buy that car.

No way I'd want the Google spy watching and listening to all my car activities!  :no:  :grumble:

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

CarPlay adoption thus far has been absolutely glacial. Not even "global warming" has helped! /s

It has been frustratingly slow, indeed. Just last week, according to a BMW newsletter I received, one of their senior VPs finally sent a blog about CarPlay (and Android whatever) being available starting with 2017 models. We'll see.

I have also been lustily eyeing the Jaguar XF, but no mention of CarPlay there.

I will not be buying my next car unless CarPlay comes standard with it.

• Reply 8 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    late but better than nothing. Go check Honda for example 2016 Civic and it supports both Car-play and Android-auto. I went to ckeck it out though, not sure if it supports IOS 9 CarPlay wireless feature as I was on ios 8 when visited Honda dealer. Confirmed that Honda 2016 civic worked flawlessly with usb plug-in with iphone apps and carplay .
  • Reply 9 of 17
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

late but better than nothing. Go check Honda for example 2016 Civic and it supports both Car-play and Android-auto. I went to ckeck it out though, not sure if it supports IOS 9 CarPlay wireless feature as I was on ios 8 when visited Honda dealer. Confirmed that Honda 2016 civic worked flawlessly with usb plug-in with iphone apps and carplay .

I have the MY16 Golf with Car play, it needs the USB connection to work, its really responsive at least, my car has a spot to keep my phone, so I'm not trying to get at it while I'm driving.

I don't think my car has any wireless car play functions, the VW software works wirelessly.

I'm not sure of software updates will work, don't really want to buy a new car when a new update is released, even taking it for a service would be annoying, I hope It just tethers the data off the phone.

• Reply 10 of 17
    I love my Outlander Sport. When they put CarPlay in that car, I will trade in for a new model year.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I have the MY16 Golf with Car play, it needs the USB connection to work, its really responsive at least, my car has a spot to keep my phone, so I'm not trying to get at it while I'm driving.

I don't think my car has any wireless car play functions, the VW software works wirelessly.

I'm not sure of software updates will work, don't really want to buy a new car when a new update is released, even taking it for a service would be annoying, I hope It just tethers the data off the phone.Wireless CarPlay suported in IOS

Wireless CarPlay support started with IOS 9 and may use WiFi instead of Cell data tethering. So, check it out with Volkswagen dealer for software update. I rather see CarPlay functionalities get turn-on/connected soon as i get into car, instead of need for plugging iphone into USB port. Must work seamless. But, all these features will work well as more Car manufacturers start supporting CarPlay(and android-auto)

• Reply 12 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    The reason why CarPlay and android auto are slowly being adopted is car manufacturers would take years to incorporate changes to their electrics because of risk. Not only what it could or could not do to the car electrics but regulatory risk. The decisions on what would go in the car would have been made years ago. And then there is the financial considerations. How to build CarPlay into what is often an upsell ( the car stereo) . Gotta make money somewhere.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Glacial?

It’s going that fast?

• Reply 14 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I'm not sure of software updates will work, don't really want to buy a new car when a new update is released, even taking it for a service would be annoying, I hope It just tethers the data off the phone.

Wi-Fi would be nice but not the end of the world.  At least your phone is charging while running the Car Play functions.  Better than the Toyota option, I'm looking at a Tacoma and even though the model we was redesigned for 2016, Toyota has no plans to add it, instead preferring to use their own proprietary system.

• Reply 15 of 17
    I would boycott Toyota brand(or similar) that i was so loyal for the last how many years ? since 1992. Honda supported Car play and android auto in their 2016 civic and accord but Toyota is on sidelines waiting forever. Well, stay their until your market share GO SOUTH.
    What this car makers don't realize is for example map is constantly updated by Apple and Google so when car manufacturers support such functions from car-play or android auto than I get real time information for navigation, point of interest and not wait for new map CD comes out and pay for to car manufacturers. I would not and you should also not buy car if they don't support few basic car-play and android auto functionalities like map/navigation, hands-free phone/text, music.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I have a 2004 Pajero. I installed an Alpine iLX-007. Done. Super happy with the setup.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I have a 2004 Pajero. I installed an Alpine iLX-007. Done. Super happy with the setup.

Problem today is auto manufacturers are either tying everything (climate control, etc.) into the radio (Ford) or making nonstandard dash/radio combinations so you am can't easily swap out a radio without cutting a hole in the dash. Not sure if this is a scheme from the auto industry or someone not thinking in product development. I'm thinking the former over the later.