Apple TV advertising goes beyond small screen with new billboard installations

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    These ads bleed six colors.

I really like the clever reuse of the old six colors as test pattern. Subtle and smart.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Street Fight 2 is also a great game on the SNES.
    Also paying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in time on the SNES.
    Got Golden Axe on Genesis.
    Zelda and Metroid on NES.

Friken crazy awesome. 

Then I got the new games like Geometry wars3, Does not commute, and even Sing Karoke is fun.  Added Storehouse photo app, weather App, NBA App......The potential of this AppleTV is nuts.

The games I'm running on the emulator are games I've owned.  Most of the games are over 20 years old.  Their copywrite has expired.  Big difference between playing a 20-30 year old game that has close to zero value today to a LIVE TV BROADCAST of an NBA game.

The games I'm playing on my emulator are ANCIENT.  NO one sells them anymore. They have very little value.  Its like someone saying you can't make a Chess game because someone owns the rights to Chess. Give me a break.

Don't play dumb.

Someone DOES own the rights to the game, Nintendo does. They STILL sell the game too.
    I also bought Streets of Rage, Zelda and Super Mario a few years ago.

Don't you often complain that these games aren't available on iOS? Funny. If no one owns the rights then why aren't they available legally?

Your scumbag behavior is no better than the losers who download everything free and refuse to pay a penny to developers and artists.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I really like the clever reuse of the old six colors as test pattern. Subtle and smart.

Very eye catching I agree. But I also agree with what others have said. Not sure what the ad symbolizes if anything. We may just be thinking about it too much.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

give me a break.

Go on your little cry baby rant somewhere else....

(goes back to playing Super Mario World on Apple TV)

Unbelievable. I'm one of the only people here that actually defends you when everyone else is shitting on you. And if you've seen any of my posts, you know I defend and justify almost every single of Apple's decisions, because I can understand their rationale. Cry baby rant? I levelled a very specific complaint (that has been levelled by pretty much every single reviewer and user), and if you actually owned an Apple TV, I don't know how you would disagree with it. I bought the Apple TV on day one, and gave Apple a pass for the text input as I assumed they couldn't QUITE get an app or OS update out in time that would resolve this before launch, and that something was imminent. Having an issue with taking a few seconds to type a single letter is a "crybaby" rant to you?

Maybe, just maybe I care about the user experience and the user's satisfaction level, to Apple's benefit? I already convinced one friend who was pulling his hair out to keep the thing, as I assured him this would be resolved soon. Its in Apple's best interest to improve this. Go now, try to search for youtube videos, or anything else using the onscreen keyboard, and tell us its a good experience. I already stated many times that I love the box and its potential, but this is a severe weak point that can easily be addressed. 

Oh, and I have around 80 apps on my ATV. I'm allowed to fucking criticize one aspect while complementing everything else.  

• Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not sure why Apple thinks ads with a Test Card pattern are going to get people to buy an Apple TV

This is not a Test Card Pattern. At least, not one that I've ever seen! The colors are wrong, and the sequence is wrong. More likely, it's intended to convey something that can be inferred from the visible spectrum, even though there are one fewer than the 7 colors expected. Apart from that, these are the rainbow colors.

• Reply 46 of 79
    dabe wrote: »

This is not a Test Card Pattern. At least, not one that I've ever seen! The colors are wrong, and the sequence is wrong. More likely, it's intended to convey something that can be inferred from the visible spectrum, even though there are one fewer than the 7 colors expected. Apart from that, these are the rainbow colors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tv+test+pattern+color+bars&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis8dr10KnJAhVELYgKHXuMD24Q_AUICCgB
  • Reply 47 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

I am so sick of them promoting a Beta Version!!! They are still trolling for more Beta Testers for their Hobby project!!! I'd love to buy one if it worked as good as previous versions do...No iPhone Remote? No Siri Search for Music? No BT Keyboard support....they are joking right?

Good news. You don't have to buy one. You don't have to pay any attention at all to what Apple is doing or not doing. The grief you experience is your own doing, not Apples.

• Reply 48 of 79
    larrymagoo wrote: »
    I am so sick of them promoting a Beta Version!!! They are still trolling for more Beta Testers for their Hobby project!!! I'd love to buy one if it worked as good as previous versions do...No iPhone Remote? No Siri Search for Music? No BT Keyboard support....they are joking right?

Did you also call the iPhone a "hobby project" when it launched with no turn-by-turn directions, no physical keyboard, no '3G,' no removable battery, no cut/copy/paste, no 3rd-party apps option, and on-and-on along the long list of reasons why the iPhone was a complete failure compared to all those great devices that had all these things that were already on the market, -or- did you see the potential of the foundation in which they built, and knew that the non-hobby project that is the iPhone would not only get better year-after-year, but also be the standard by which all other smartphones were compared and finally get handset owners to adopt a smartphone that weren't either business execs or tech geeks?
  • Reply 49 of 79
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense. I don't find clever and I don't think most people would get it.

Yet, here we all are, arguing (discussing) the merits of the latest Apple TV ad. I wonder how much it would cost to get this kind of "engagement" for the rest of the Apple line of products. Remember, "there is no such thing as "bad publicity").

• Reply 50 of 79

Yeah. On first look, I missed the small rectangles of color at the bottom of each bar. So, yes, it looks like they are trying to draw on the idea of a test pattern! It's still possible that the visible spectrum is another component that's considered important to the intended message since most of today's generation would not pick up on the test pattern. (Interesting that the URL reference even includes Apples billboard ad as an example of color test pattern when in fact it probably wouldn't qualify from a TV-engineering viewpoint!) 

• Reply 51 of 79
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Because. . . . rules?

Yes.  Because the TV stations in his area paid MILLIONS for the rights to those games in HIS MARKET.

But go ahead.  I see you don't care about that stuff.

What ever lets you sleep at night.  But he is breaking the law.

Correct me if I'm wrong but NBA games aren't aired by local networks.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    newbee wrote: »
    Remember, "there is no such thing as "bad publicity").

There are a couple common sayings that I dislike because they are axiomatically false. "There's no such thing as bad publicity" and "great minds think alike", are the two that come to mind. Regarding bad publicity, exhibit A is Bill Cosby's accusers in the news.

That said, your point about us talking about a very large and color ad is good publicity, even by those, like [@]Rogifan[/@], who doesn't like or get it. Not "getting it" might what Apple wants from the younger generation that doesn't understand what a test pattern is, although as [@]TheWhiteFalcon[/@] displayed, these throwbacks in time have a way of coming back as nostalgia.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense. I don't find clever and I don't think most people would get it.

Getting your attention is what is important in advertising. That does it. So, it works.

Everyone knows who Apple is, they don't need to advertise the company itself.

The rainbow is a nice throwback to earlier Apple logos.

• Reply 54 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Difference is I bought all those games for full price decades ago.
    I believe the word you used was "most".
  • Reply 55 of 79
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    rogifan wrote: »

The fact that you don't like it probably means they've hit the mark.
  • Reply 56 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but NBA games aren't aired by local networks.

NBA is aired by local network.

Thats why if you live in San Francisco you won't be able to watch Golden State games on the NBA app. You need to either watch it OTA or cable/dish.  The local games get all blacked out.

They're not all aired locally, in NY neither the Knicks, nor the Nets are aired OTA. The Knicks games are on MSG, and the Nets are on SNY.
  • Reply 57 of 79

Thats why if you live in San Francisco you won't be able to watch Golden State games on the NBA app. You need to either watch it OTA or cable/dish.  The local games get all blacked out.
    The blackouts are due to contracts with regional FoxSports providers, TBS, ABC, or ESPN. I'm not aware of any local OTA TV broadcasters with NBA contracts but maybe there are some.

EDIT: From NBA League Pass FAQ

"You should be able to view games that are blacked out on NBA LEAGUE PASS on a regional sports network in your area or on a national TV network such as NBA TV, TNT, ESPN or ABC. These content providers may also have official streaming apps through which you can view games that are blacked out on NBA LEAGUE PASS (if you are a subscriber to that network)."

"If your location changes, your blackout restrictions for live, locally televised games may also change. Blackouts are specific to your current location."
  • Reply 58 of 79
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

The fact that you don't like it probably means they've hit the mark.

Yes, awareness and reaction key.

- Awareness from people who would never buy their product and hate it... They don't care.

- Awareness from people who buys their products... And will do so even if they don't like this particular ad

(not many switch products because they dislike an ad...)

They don't care (they already know about the Apple TV and they're not the target)

- Awareness from prople who don't know about this product and don't hate Apple (a lot of people).....

To bring the Apple TV into their mind so they buy it.

They care and that's their target.

Seems people don't really know how marketing works.

• Reply 59 of 79

Well that hardly seems fair does it? For the same $119 you paid I would get to watch around twice as many Golden State games as you do (assuming GS is your "local" team) Same subscription but only half the value?
  • Reply 60 of 79
    dabedabe Posts: 99member
    Quote:

I'm not sure why Apple thinks ads with a Test Card pattern are going to get people to buy an Apple TV

At this level of their advertising campaign, it would seem that the objective is generating publicity rather than getting someone to buy. I give them credit for finding a credible basis for plastering a huge, colorful, attention-grabbing picture on billboards. Regardless of interpretation or contention, it's getting attention, and that's what they want.