Apple airs 2015 Christmas TV ad starring Stevie Wonder & Andra Day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
Apple on Wednesday uploaded its annual Christmas TV ad to YouTube, which this year stars singers Stevie Wonder and Andra Day.

The pair perform Wonder's "Someday at Christmas," a song from 1967 rallying against war, poverty, inequality, and hunger. At the very beginning of the ad, Wonder -- who has been blind since infancy -- can be seen mixing music on a MacBook by way of VoiceOver.

Apple has been running Christmas commercials since the early 1980s. Like many businesses, the company takes a more sentimental tone during the holidays, aiming to enhance its overall brand image.

While Apple's ads typically concentrate on a specific product or service, the latest one largely ignores overt references. It may however be a way of further associating Apple with music in a bid to attract Apple Music subscribers.

Last year the company's 2013 holiday ad, "Misunderstood," won a Creative Arts Emmy as the most "Outstanding Commercial." That spot featured a boy seemingly ignoring his family in favor of an iPhone, only to reveal that he was preparing a special video for them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    just the last 2 sec of the video personally connected to me 'love, apple', which it had modern furniture and well lit room for beginners. :-/
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Such a beautiful song performed by two marvelous voices.
    Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Very nice video!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It's almost not an ad but a greeting card from Apple.

Nice.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    barely a product in sight. a beautiful song. and love, Apple. it's perfect.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Nice Spot! I've loved Mr. Wonder since they use to call him "little Stevie" back in the late 60's and early 70's! The harmony is just awesome!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Nice ad. I like Misunderstood better but this one is good too.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    That gave me the warm and fuzzies.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Keep praising Apple, folks. It will cause [I]you-know-who[/I] to post something defensive, like how much Google loves Christmas too. ;)
  • Reply 10 of 21
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

With so many entities hiding behind the phrase "Happy Holidays", it's refreshing to see Apple fully embrace Christmas in their spot. And this is from an agnostic!

• Reply 11 of 21
    I think ads like these aim to promote Apple as a BRAND, not so much a product. As Apple aims to leverage goodwill to cross-sell new offerings (Pay, Music, TV, Car), they may increase ads like this that associate positive feels with Apple in-general, less tied to any single product.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Keep praising Apple, folks. It will cause you-know-who to post something defensive, like how much Google loves Christmas too. ;)

with links to prove it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    thrang wrote: »
    With so many entities hiding behind the phrase "Happy Holidays", it's refreshing to see Apple fully embrace Christmas in their spot. And this is from an agnostic!

it's not hiding. christmas isn't the only holiday of the season, or religion. in fact, one doesnt need to be a practicing member of any religion to enjoy seasonal holidays. (example: Thursday. you dont worship Thor, do you? or Saturn on Saturdays? but you still enjoy these days, right? same thing)

plus if we want to get technical about, the seasonal holiday currently labeled christmas previously belonged to Mithra.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/sina21224.htm

you know Mithra, he's the other other "sun" god born on Dec. 25 to a virgin mother...

http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm

but he wasnt alone, lots of reasons to celebrate the winter solstice:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_sel.htm
  • Reply 14 of 21
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    thrang wrote: »

From what or whom are these companies "hiding" when they use the phrase "Happy Holidays?" The US is not a Christian nation, no matter how much some would like us to believe that.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    moreck wrote: »
    From what or whom are these companies "hiding" when they use the phrase "Happy Holidays?" The US is not a Christian nation, no matter how much some would like us to believe that.

You are right. So many have fallen away from Christianity that only 77% of Americans view themselves as Christians. We should also strike the mention of God from our Declaration of Independence.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159548/identify-christian.aspx
  • Reply 16 of 21

Nice. Stevie still has the pipes at age 65. Haven't seen the ad yet, but hopefully this demonstrates some of the accessibility features that Apple appear to work hard on incorporating into their products; given one of the stars of the ad - it would seem like a good opportunity.

• Reply 17 of 21
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Everything makes my cry these days...great video.
  • Reply 18 of 21

So Good?I like it?

• Reply 19 of 21
    Thank you Apple..beautiful Christmas ad
  • Reply 20 of 21
    thrang said:

thrang said:

I agree!