First look: Apple Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Originally Posted by Steveau View Post

With handwriting recognition on the Newton I could give at least 50% of my attention to the speaker, because I can write without looking at the page/tablet all the time.

Really; it worked that well for you? Neat.

It’s not that I don’t want HR; it’s just that typing’s faster. I’ve been touch-typing on my iPad for years.

• Reply 42 of 60
    I have read everyone's comments carefully, but it's not that typing isn't a great input method when you are alone at a desk or table, it's that it is not appropriate in some circumstances, such as meetings and seminars. In meetings it would be totally inappropriate for me to pull out a keyboard and start typing. This is partly because of what my body language would convey to others (anal retentive nerd who can't afford to bring a junior to take notes for him) and partly because, while I'm typing, I wouldn't be able to read the body language of others around the table. Also my notes are not a verbatim transcript of what is being said, I can rely on the minutes secretary for those, my notes might include who is there and some key points and action items, but mostly they will be diagrams mixed with ideas about how to solve the problem at hand. It's not quite a mind map - for which there is software - but is definitely non-linear. For executives and senior professionals I'm confident that HWR will be a critical reason to buy an iPad and aPencil - perhaps even the skillet ap for this segment of users. It was certainly why I loved my Newton 2000!
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Sorry, I missed a dumb auto correct spell check - skillet ap = killer ap.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    steveau wrote: »
    I have read everyone's comments carefully, but it's not that typing isn't a great input method when you are alone at a desk or table, it's that it is not appropriate in some circumstances, such as meetings and seminars. In meetings it would be totally inappropriate for me to pull out a keyboard and start typing. This is partly because of what my body language would convey to others (anal retentive nerd who can't afford to bring a junior to take notes for him) and partly because, while I'm typing, I wouldn't be able to read the body language of others around the table. Also my notes are not a verbatim transcript of what is being said, I can rely on the minutes secretary for those, my notes might include who is there and some key points and action items, but mostly they will be diagrams mixed with ideas about how to solve the problem at hand. It's not quite a mind map - for which there is software - but is definitely non-linear. For executives and senior professionals I'm confident that HWR will be a critical reason to buy an iPad and aPencil - perhaps even the killer ap for this segment of users. It was certainly why I loved my Newton 2000!

I can actually read body language while typing since I don't ever have to look at the keyboard.... but agree that using a laptop or ipad with keyboard would likely not be conducive to a productive meeting because of the non-verbal communications. A laptop or ipad with keyboard (where the ipad is angled up) adds an unnecessary barrier between you and those that you are meeting. The same reason why sitting as a group around a meeting table is not very good.... if you are all bunched together on one side of the table and the people you are meeting are bunched together on the other side it creates a "us vs them" situation which is also not conducive to a productive meeting. An iPad with a pencil would not create the same situation.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

I can actually read body language while typing since I don't ever have to look at the keyboard.... but agree that using a laptop or ipad with keyboard would likely not be conducive to a productive meeting because of the non-verbal communications. A laptop or ipad with keyboard (where the ipad is angled up) adds an unnecessary barrier between you and those that you are meeting. The same reason why sitting as a group around a meeting table is not very good.... if you are all bunched together on one side of the table and the people you are meeting are bunched together on the other side it creates a "us vs them" situation which is also not conducive to a productive meeting. An iPad with a pencil would not create the same situation.

Hi bkkcanuck, I agree, the non-verbal stuff is usually as important as what is being said, so an iPad with HWR would be fantastic tool in meetings. I also are that where you and your colleagues sit around the table is a very important tactical consideration.

• Reply 46 of 60
    steveau wrote: »

Hi bkkcanuck, I agree, the non-verbal stuff is usually as important as what is being said, so an iPad with HWR would be fantastic tool in meetings. I also are that where you and your colleagues sit around the table is a very important tactical consideration.

Since an iPad is already involved, why not just make a recording of the meeting, which could supplement any notes taken? Incidentally, I despise meetings...
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Since an iPad is already involved, why not just make a recording of the meeting, which could supplement any notes taken? Incidentally, I despise meetings...

Many people are more guarded and less open when you tell them you want to record the meeting.  Recording the meeting without telling them is illegal in many regions -- and unethical in all of them.

• Reply 48 of 60
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Many people are more guarded and less open when you tell them you want to record the meeting.  Recording the meeting without telling them is illegal in many regions -- and unethical in all of them.

If your meetings are over the phone it would be illegal unless announced. If you're in the room, that does not violate any wiretapping laws. Also, the hang up about typing notes in a meeting is absurd. It's quite common. People take notes in all kinds of ways these days. There's no reason to not be an effective note taker in the manner which best serves your skills and job. Way back when I had to attend such idiotic time-wasters I would usually use a computer since my handwriting is borderline illegible and people would usually approach me afterward for accurate notes!
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:

If your meetings are over the phone it would be illegal unless announced. If you're in the room, that does not violate any wiretapping laws. Also, the hang up about typing notes in a meeting is absurd. It's quite common. People take notes in all kinds of ways these days. There's no reason to not be an effective note taker in the manner which best serves your skills and job.

The laws extend to both phone and in person meetings.  "two-party consent" laws exist in: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Regardless, I would immediately terminate the employment of any one working for me found to be recording meetings without the appropriate consent of everyone in the meeting.  

It is not a hang up about typing notes -- it is more about the "feng shui" (for the lack of the right words) of the meeting.  If you are meeting with your tech buddy and trying to work something out it may work, but meetings with senior managers and C-level execs are a quite different dynamic.  Many people don't like being recorded because of many factors including the lack of wiggle room etc.  It is better to come to an agreement then document it and email out what you think you have worked out and allowing people to review it before finalizing the record -- and allowing all the details of how you got there to be lost to time.

• Reply 50 of 60
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    The laws extend to both phone and in person meetings.  "two-party consent" laws exist in: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Regardless, I would immediately terminate the employment of any one working for me found to be recording meetings without the appropriate consent of everyone in the meeting.  

It is not a hang up about typing notes -- it is more about the "feng shui" (for the lack of the right words) of the meeting.  If you are meeting with your tech buddy and trying to work something out it may work, but meetings with senior managers and C-level execs are a quite different dynamic. 

I am so glad to be free of such trivialities.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I recommend the apps Procreate and Sketch Club.

Mine are Procreate and Sketchbook Pro. I've never seen Sketch Club, but I'll try it.

By the way, to show where these more Pro level apps are going, AutoDesk, the makers of AutoCad, are buying iOS app makers like crazy. Sketchbook Pro is an Autodesk app, and my favorite drawing/drafting app iDraw has also been bought by them and renamed Graphic. They've now got a bunch of pro and semi pro apps here.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I have no personal experience with the E-Mac. Never saw one in real life.

It looked like a regular iMac, except that it was just in white.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    why-why- Posts: 305member

I dunno. I hate to hate, but I have quite a few problems with this.

First off it's $169, which is pretty expensive for a keyboard, even if it does double as a cover.

Secondly, I can't help but think of all those critics who panned Microsoft's original Surface RT for only having one uncomfortable position for the Kickstand. I'm sure Apple could've found a better implementation with some more time. That, and I expect using it in your lap probably won't be too great either.

For another thing, I really don't like the lack of keyboard shortcuts. I'd hate to have to reach out every time I want to adjust the volume, or switch apps.

And lastly, I realize there are probably a lot of reasons not to, but I really think once you add a keyboard you should go whole hog and put in a trackpad too. Especially because now every time you interact with the screen you have to reach up and stick your arm out and we all know everyone hates that.

• Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My dining room iPad, and now, iPad Pro, set-up. Hopefully some people here will recognize what its sitting on.

Resembles the old CRT-based eMac:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMac

• Reply 55 of 60
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Resembles the old CRT-based eMac:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMac

Looks like he just cut the bottom off one, actually.

• Reply 56 of 60

Looks like he just cut the bottom off one, actually.

What, you mean they didn't sell them like that?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    why- wrote: »
    I dunno. I hate to hate, but I have quite a few problems with this.

For another thing, I really don't like the lack of keyboard shortcuts. I'd hate to have to reach out every time I want to adjust the volume, or switch apps.
    And lastly, I realize there are probably a lot of reasons not to, but I really think once you add a keyboard you should go whole hog and put in a trackpad too. Especially because now every time you interact with the screen you have to reach up and stick your arm out and we all know everyone hates that.

MacBook Airs start at $899. All that notebooky stuff included. Because it's a notebook. If you don't want to touch the screen, you don't want a tablet.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What, you mean they didn't sell them like that?

Prototype iPod Hi-Fi.

• Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:

bkkcanuck has comprehensively answered why using the iPad to record the meeting is not a good idea. I'd just like to add that all I'm asking for the extra functionality of HWR. I use all of the existing input features in my iPad now, as and when appropriate, but I would love to ditch my paper notebook and only carry an iPad. I can't do that until I can have HWR. Note I said "I" - I know my business, it's what I need, I used to have a Newton 200 and loved it. I was very disappointed when I had to go back to using a notebook (after trying Blackberry and Palm Pilot). The iPad Pro and aPencil now deliver the technical capability, all we need is good HWR in  Calendar, Contacts and Notes. I'm also confident that I'm not the only senior professional, senior government official or C-Level executive who would consider this the killer app for iPad.

• Reply 60 of 60
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    MacBook Airs start at $899. All that notebooky stuff included. Because it's a notebook. If you don't want to touch the screen, you don't want a tablet.

Well yeah, obviously. But then why include all this notebooky stuff with the iPad Pro? Why try to turn it into a mediocre laptop when you can get a very hood laptop for a similar price?