Apple's iOS clinches 78.3% of U.S. mobile online shopping over Thanksgiving, 360% more than Android

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2015
Apple remained the dominant platform for holiday mobile shoppers as iPad and iPhone users accounted for 78.3 percent of mobile e-commerce orders over Thanksgiving Day. Buyers using any device using some form of Android contributed only 21.5 percent of online orders.

Those figures come from Custora's E-Commerce Pulse, the marketing firm's report on online buyers and shopping trends, including "200+ online retailers, 500 million anonymized shoppers, and $100B in e-commerce revenue."

On Thanksgiving Day, the firm noted that online shopping revenue grew by 12.5 percent over last year, while transactions were up by 10.8 percent over the same day in 2014.

Online orders made using mobile phones or tablets jumped to 39.3 percent of all online sales on Thanksgiving, surpassing the 34.3 percent threshold reached last year. Apple iOS continues to command more than 3.6 times the commercial relevance in online shopping compared to all Android makers collectively

The increasing popularity of mobile devices among online shoppers has particularly favored Apple's iOS, which has retained its dominant lead, despite slipping 1.6 percentage points over last year, when 79.9 percent of mobile orders were placed using an iOS device.

Apple iOS continues to command more than 3.6 times the commercial relevance in online shopping compared to all Android makers collectively. This occurred despite the fact that Apple remains a minority platform in terms of units sold, and that the overall use of mobile devices has grown significantly.

Apple's smartphone market share, as estimated by comScore, hovers slightly above 40 percent in the U.S..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34

Clenches? Not the best word here. Clinches?

• Reply 2 of 34
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Clenches? Not the best word here. Clinches?

Nah, it checks out. “Clenches” is what you do after eating too much turkey OR after eating your iPhone.

• Reply 3 of 34
    When I saw the title I was sure it was going to be another IBM study. They've been saying this for years now.

Nice to see a different company come up with similar results. Should quiet the trolls who think one study isn't conclusive.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    noun
    plural noun: clenches

1. a contraction or tightening of part of the body.
    "she saw the anger rise, saw the clench of his fists"

noun
    plural noun: clinches

1. a struggle or scuffle at close quarters, especially (in boxing) one in which the fighters become too closely engaged for full-arm blows.

Just not sure if either word is a good choice.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Apple has been preparing all year for this coming holiday with subtle ads in all kinds of media, with more to come.

So Apple will reap a rich harvest and it should be of no surprise... except, to me, I'm still awed by it all.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    I have done most of my shopping right from my iPhone. Much easier this year with most Black Friday deals, excluding some doorbusters, also being available online. Love that apps from Target, Kohl's, Toys R Us use Apple Pay too. This way I can feel confident my info is protected as I shop online. We all know this is the time of year merchants get hit with hacks for customer info
  • Reply 7 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Confirms the other surveys and studies. iOS users are better educated and financially better off than Android users.

• Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Confirms the other surveys and studies. iOS users are better educated and financially better off than Android users.

360% more is beyond embarassing!

It's embarassing two fold, those that use their mobiles to shop the most are millennials (their use is twice the average), and obviously those have the most money that means Apple must outrageously dominated the millennial (20-35) high earner segment. Probably around 5 to1!.

Older people have money (and probably Iphones), but they shop less using their mobile.

• Reply 9 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Obvious study. android users are too broke to shop.

This just further proves Apple needs to roll out ?Pay faster. They need to push apps and online retailers who are lagging. Lots of money thrown away.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Because iPhone users have more money than sense. I wish I had a little bit less sense and more money :(

Well, unfortunately for you... you have less of both.  

• Reply 12 of 34
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    and this means Google will have to kowtow to iOS for the time being since purchasing wealth is overwhelmingly concentrated in iOS.

Wall Street doomsayers where are you?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    But but...android has >80% market shares. This tells you exactly that only certain % of android handsets are considered non-junks.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,177member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    But but...android has >80% market shares. This tells you exactly that only certain % of android handsets are considered non-junks.
    I think this report was US. Here Android market share is around 50% and iOS about 45%.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    "Clenches"? This is a bizarre word choice for the headline. How about "takes", "holds" or even the more colorful "dominates"?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Should quiet the trolls who think one study isn't conclusive.

The trolls aren't trolls because there weren't enough data points for them to believe a study. The trolls because regardless of the facts they are incapable of making a reasoned, intelligent comment.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    "Clenches"? This is a bizarre word choice for the headline. How about "takes", "holds" or even the more colorful "dominates"?

Better than saying: Apple's iOS kegels 78.3% of U.S. mobile online shopping over Thanksgiving, 360% more than Android
  • Reply 18 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,177member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    That would be obvious without studies. Tesla owners are almost certainly "better educated and financially better off" than Toyota owners. In general you buy what you can afford.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That would be obvious without studies. Tesla owners are almost certainly "better educated and financially better off" than Toyota owners. In general you buy what you can afford.

It really needs to come down to using comparably priced items to find out where things fall. For instance, I know I've seen at least a couple studies showing that those that use flagship devices from Samsung are using about the same amount of carrier data as iPhone users, yet Android-based devices as a whole is extremely small when taken as a whole.

Unless this study someone measures people gifting App Store, iTunes Store, iBookstore, and even Apple Store app sales, I'd imagine that flagship devices for sales of smartphones between iOS and Android are probably pretty close. I wouldn't count the iPad in that since that is both the dominate tablet and used as the primary or only computing device by so many that sales on there would likely be even higher, if not only from the easier access of the larger display.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Better than saying: Apple's iOS kegels 78.3% of U.S. mobile online shopping over Thanksgiving, 360% more than Android

I even like that better! ????