Amazon says Instant Video app for tvOS could launch 'within a few weeks'

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,034member
    acgmph wrote: »
    Perfect timing. Was considering a Fire TV stick in addition to my ATV 3 so I can easily get Amazon Instant Video on my TV. Was not interested in the ATV4 without this app, now I guess I have to wait a few more weeks until it's official so I can make a purchase, hopefully come Christmas time and the ATV4 can be a great stocking stuffer for myself :)
    are you kidding? Amazon video sucks compared to Netflix. I only watched Amazon video 3 times in the last 2 years with Prime membership due to its lack of contents. This's why I keep Netflix around. However, nice to have it in ATV .
  • Reply 22 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,034member
    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.

    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.
    buggy Apple product ? Lol. I didn't know Apple made those Netflix or Hulu apps...oh, they don't. Bring your trolls to app developers, would you!
  • Reply 23 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,554member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post



    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.

     

    Have you bothered to read all the negative posts about the 3rd gen AppleTV? It was long ago declared to be the “worst Apple release” in history. And we’ve got the same thing going on with El Capitan which has been declared “rubbish” by some users as was Yosemite before it and  the version before that. So how do you explain your “stone dead reliable” 3rd gen? Were you just lucky or were all those problems imaginary? What you and others fail to realize is that your individual experience does not mean a thing in terms of the big picture. To compound that the Internet grossly distorts reality. Of course those who are dissatisfied are going to let the whole world know it while those who just merrily go about using their ATV4 without issues don’t usually proclaim it to the Internet.

     

    You say Netflix freezes and you can’t even get to the user selection screen. Well, Netflix and Hulu perform flawlessly on my ATV4. I may have some opinions on how some features were chosen or left out but the hardware and software as is is “stone dead reliable” for me. So my individual experience cancels out your individual experience. Or do you claim that all ATV4s have non functioning Netflix apps? Are you calling me a liar?

     

    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I am entitled to call your opinion rubbish, trolling and not the vast majority experience either.

     

    Ever read articles about carriers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and the like? If you took the comments made as gospel none of these companies would be in business because their services and customer relations are trashed incessantly by the negative crowd. Those who like their carrier don”t have a word to say do they?

  • Reply 24 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,034member
    tenly wrote: »
    I own a 17" MacBook Pro, an iPad 1, 3, mini and Air 2, an iPhone 6s+, an Apple TV 2,3 and 4, a 27" 5k iMac and the Apple Watch. I love them all - except for the Apple TV 4.

    No 4K is my first issue. Secondly, there are about a dozen categories Siri can search for in TV shows - but Sitcoms is not one of them? WTF? That's almost all I watch! Even "comedy" is missing from the TV categories. It's there for movies - why not TV? I thought I could ask Siri pretty much anything I could ask her on the phone - but apparently not. The other day I tried to ask her about new movies playing near me and she told me she couldn't help me with movies. Then I tried restaurants - and got the same reply. The lack of support for the Apple Remote app on the iPhone and Apple Watch is annoying (and mind boggling) as is the crappy way we are now forced to enter text. I like the fact that I can download 3rd party apps - and when Siri does know the answer to something, I like the way that it is presented. I also like the new remote - except for the way it has to be used for text entry.

    Overall though, I expected much more for a 4th generation Apple product. I don't see much that differentiates it from the Roku or Amazon products. I have gone back to my Apple 3 TV for now and will probably pick up the new Amazon box so that I'm able to play 4K content. The Apple TV4 will sit and gather dust until they release a firmware update that fixes some of these annoyances and adds some of the missing features.
    you went back to ATV3 for 1/4 functions of ATV4 while complained ATV4 lack of functions? Damn! How come are there many contradictory trolls in this world? Your ATV4 must hate you so much because it's been flawless on every app I used in there. HBO Go, ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube...d
  • Reply 25 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,034member
    lkrupp wrote: »

    Nice troll. You hit all the troll talking points. Your check is in the mail. Thank you so much.
    of course, the dude has 35 posts in...10 years...lol. What do you expect? He's not in here for positive or straight comments for sure!
  • Reply 26 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,034member
    acgmph wrote: »
    Wow... reading some of the comments... I think I'm better off with that Fire stick and ATV3 instead of getting this new ATV4... Is it really that buggy? I watch Netflix and HBO pretty much all the time, if these are unreliable, then I will skip the ATV4.
    go for Fire pos stick. Amazon sold me that for $19 last year when it's released. It's lagging crap and I gave it to my little nephew. If you read comments from these guys who only come here to troll and bash Apple products and hindered your decision, you got what they wanted. Apple allow you to use the product for 30 days or longer in the holidays season. Why don't you try it yourself and decide to keep or return? For me, I never used my ATV3 again since I got ATV4. It's flawless on every app I used especially Netflix, HBO Go and Youtube every day.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,252member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    are you kidding? Amazon video sucks compared to Netflix. I only watched Amazon video 3 times in the last 2 years with Prime membership due to its lack of contents. This's why I keep Netflix around. However, nice to have it in ATV .
    Netflix costs close to $110 a year. I consider Amazon Prime Video free for all intents since I'm a Prime member for the free two day shipping. Video is simply a bonus.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,472member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by acgmph View Post

     

    Wow... reading some of the comments... I think I'm better off with that Fire stick and ATV3 instead of getting this new ATV4... Is it really that buggy? I watch Netflix and HBO pretty much all the time, if these are unreliable, then I will skip the ATV4.


     

    Well, to each his own, I guess... Mine works fine. Been using it for a couple of weeks and I haven't run across any show-stopping issues or bugs. I will say, I don't care much for the interface of the newer Netflix app. 

  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Ours has been flawless and a joy to use. It depends you you believe I guess.

     

    Awesome, thanks for your input. Guess not everyone has problems with it.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post





    I sent a message to Amazon to remove auto-renewal of my Prime account because of their stance on ATV4 and lack of app on the device. Not interested in collecting a bunch of other hardware solutions for TV. Not that my membership will have any impact on their business, but it's one way to send a message to Amazon. Manual renewal is still on the table when it comes due in April. Suggest others who want Amazon Prime on ATV4 to do the same - one way to cast your vote.

     

    Good point, though our membership was just renewed for one year this October :)

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post





    are you kidding? Amazon video sucks compared to Netflix. I only watched Amazon video 3 times in the last 2 years with Prime membership due to its lack of contents. This's why I keep Netflix around. However, nice to have it in ATV .

     

    Actually it complements Netflix quite well since we ditched Hulu Plus and all the Epix movies are on Amazon, and with a Student Prime membership it is definitely worth it as it's half the price. At full price I might give it a second thought, but for $50 a year it's a steal.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post





    go for Fire pos stick. Amazon sold me that for $19 last year when it's released. It's lagging crap and I gave it to my little nephew. If you read comments from these guys who only come here to troll and bash Apple products and hindered your decision, you got what they wanted. Apple allow you to use the product for 30 days or longer in the holidays season. Why don't you try it yourself and decide to keep or return? For me, I never used my ATV3 again since I got ATV4. It's flawless on every app I used especially Netflix, HBO Go and Youtube every day.

     

    Good point. Will try the new ATV4 and see if I experience the same issues.

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

     

     

    Well, to each his own, I guess... Mine works fine. Been using it for a couple of weeks and I haven't run across any show-stopping issues or bugs. I will say, I don't care much for the interface of the newer Netflix app. 


     

    Thanks for your input! Will definitely try it now.

  • Reply 30 of 76
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Netflix costs close to $110 a year. I consider Amazon Prime Video free for all intents since I'm a Prime member for the free two day shipping. Video is simply a bonus.



    Yup. I originally signed up for slingTV and they game me a free Fire stick for 3 mos paid in advance. But you can use your sling account to stream the ESPN app on aTV, so I hardly ever use the Fire TV. I simply don't watch a lot of TV, but the amazon stuff is there if I really want it.

     

    What I find kind of exciting is how far we've come. There's a lot of choices now. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, direct subs to HBO and others. If you know what you want, you pick one with the best value. I got a prime (rare discounted) membership for the shipping too, and the video is a bonus. And the prime thingy has some other freebies too, like photo storage. Again, I'm not a huge photo sharing kinda guy, but I could see people really valuing that. Choice, choice, choice.

  • Reply 31 of 76
    acgmph wrote: »
    Wow... reading some of the comments... I think I'm better off with that Fire stick and ATV3 instead of getting this new ATV4... Is it really that buggy? I watch Netflix and HBO pretty much all the time, if these are unreliable, then I will skip the ATV4.

    I've had no problems or issues with mine. Account login and passwords are bit annoying to enter via the text input method, but is a distant memory at this point.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    tenly wrote: »
    I own a 17" MacBook Pro, an iPad 1, 3, mini and Air 2, an iPhone 6s+, an Apple TV 2,3 and 4, a 27" 5k iMac and the Apple Watch. I love them all - except for the Apple TV 4.

    No 4K is my first issue. Secondly, there are about a dozen categories Siri can search for in TV shows - but Sitcoms is not one of them? WTF? That's almost all I watch! Even "comedy" is missing from the TV categories. It's there for movies - why not TV? I thought I could ask Siri pretty much anything I could ask her on the phone - but apparently not. The other day I tried to ask her about new movies playing near me and she told me she couldn't help me with movies. Then I tried restaurants - and got the same reply. The lack of support for the Apple Remote app on the iPhone and Apple Watch is annoying (and mind boggling) as is the crappy way we are now forced to enter text. I like the fact that I can download 3rd party apps - and when Siri does know the answer to something, I like the way that it is presented. I also like the new remote - except for the way it has to be used for text entry.

    Overall though, I expected much more for a 4th generation Apple product. I don't see much that differentiates it from the Roku or Amazon products. I have gone back to my Apple 3 TV for now and will probably pick up the new Amazon box so that I'm able to play 4K content. The Apple TV4 will sit and gather dust until they release a firmware update that fixes some of these annoyances and adds some of the missing features.

    Are you my long lost illegitimate half brother? Lol. Seriously we own the fact same Apple products and are only complaint is Apple TV 4 - the latest. I have been brutally harassed on here for saying the exact same things.

    Can I give you one suggestions? Apple offers a program called "tune up". For $270 you can take in an Mac laptop top or iMac and they will literally go through and replace what ever they feel is in need of a tune up (replacement). Since you are my half brother I know with all certainty your 17" laptop is in perfect condition like mine but still it's almos 5 years and that's the cut off.

    So in September I took it in. They sent it to Texas I got it back Thursday which is amazing because I took it in Monday evening. Wow!

    They replaced the LCD screen, the entire logic board, the 5 year battery, the trackpad and even my brand new 16GB ram upgrade saying the ram didn't optimize my machine.

    I paid $0,00. WTF? Exactly, that's what I said too. Hell I was more than willing to pay $270 for all of that - they just made my 17" laptop brand new again!

    The reason it was free? Evidently my model fell in the serial number range of a recall that made lines on the screen and occasionally for no reason whatsoever were just shut itself off although it only happened once every three months or so their policy is any time a week always perform everything associated is then free of charge ever Denteley my model fell within the cereal range of recall they had screen cream lines on the screen their policy is any time a recall and it's part replaced is performed everything associated with that work order is the then free of charge Get out!

    So since you are my half-brother I suggest you take it in quickly before yours turns 5 years old, go-ahead and tell them this falls under the recall and see what you can get.

    UPDATE:
    By the way here's the recall article. It's good through 2017 but our model expires soon:
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/13/apple-remains-mum-as-complaints-mount-over-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-failures
  • Reply 33 of 76
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,568member
    This seems win-win for customers with Apple TV and Amazon video. Even today I don't understand why Amazon with such big IT department did not just port it's own iphone/ipad app to Apple TV 4 than refine it over time for tvos.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    I've enjoyed my Apple TV and especially the new Siri. Siri, find me a 1980's movie starring Demi Moore and Bam! Up comes the movie. I'm excited about prime being added because that's just one more company included in the search results before I decide to pay apple for a rental.
    I'm still learning all the Siri commands, but I do like how I can ask Siri who's starting in the movie while playing.
    Looking forward to music search.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Thank you to those that have said theirs are working properly. I haven't heard that from anyone even reviewers. That's given me the impetus to do a complete restore and try again. Here's to hoping the next 20 minutes aren't a waste of time.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    Hopefully it's more reliable then the Netflix and Hulu apps. I have to force quit the apps every other day to get them to load and every few days that doesn't work so I have to restart the AppleTV 4 to make it work. Buggiest Apple product over ever had. I'd try a full restore but without the iPhone remote app reentering the passwords for everything is a huge pain. Especially since frequently the apps don't accept the password the first few times you enter them.

    I've disconnected the 4 and went back to my stone dead reliable 3rd gen.

    I've been using Netflix ask the tune and it's been working great for me. I haven't had my Apple tv 4 crash once yet
  • Reply 37 of 76
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    Nope not trolling. In fact I haven't seen anyone write down all those problems that I have. The closest I've seen are people saying Netflix is locking up at the choose user screen. Mine doesn't even get there. I get a Netflix logo at the bottom right and no spinning loading thing in the middle. Hulu does something similar just a grey screen and doesn't load. If force quoting them doesn't work then I have to resart the entire unit which also sometimes take more then once before the apps load.

    Ask I can say is Netflix has been problem free in my Apple tv 4!!!. Been watching Jessica Jones. I've not had 1 crash our lockup our reboot yet. Why that's not true for you?. Strange!
  • Reply 38 of 76
    I've never had it reboot. I've had the Hulu app crash back to the main menu a bunch of times. The Netflix app either works or it doesn't. If it will open it works fine. However if it doesn't open you have to reboot the AppleTV to make it work.

    I just did a complete restore and so far so good. All the apps took their passwords first try and no lockup a in the process like there was the first time I turned on the new unit. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    This would be great. Actually makes a lot of sense. I do wish that Sir I was a easy to use as Alexa on the Echo. For one thing, on my iPad I find Siri's voice annoying and one seems to be able to speak to Alexa in a more flexible way.
  • Reply 40 of 76

    My ? tv 4 has been awesome. Set up was the simplest ever. I was prompted on the tv screen to hold my iOS device with bluetooth turned on and it would set up ? tv automatically with my account settings and it went flawlesly. I really doubt that there are very many issues for people who are using the new box, but there are always some vocal people (trolls/haters) that will come to this site and cry about any ? product.

    Great job on the ? TV 4.

Sign In or Register to comment.