Apple's iPad Pro vs. 12-inch MacBook with Retina display: which is best for you?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

But at least you can get them with much more RAM and storage, right? As long as you do some planning in advance.

You can plan your iPad storage in advance, too.

And you can easily plug card reader, transfer photos/videos from SD card.

Like this?

And you can use reasonably fast external storage. SSD drive in USB3 caddie should provide quite respectful performance.

Apple’s answer is, “iCloud.” My answer is to laugh and continue to demand expanded local support.

I'm saying that there are better tools that will require less loops to jump in order to get results.

Certainly. Do you at least agree that the gap between the iPad and laptops regarding said usefulness is shrinking?

• Reply 62 of 76
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    You can plan your iPad storage in advance, too.

OK... can I get one with 512GB storage, please?

Now only if I'd have that bigger storage on iPad Pro to copy all that raw data to ;)
    Apple’s answer is, “iCloud.” My answer is to laugh and continue to demand expanded local support.

Been in Novotel, Hamilton over weekend. Unlimited Internet access is 512Kb/s... 64KB/s. That was advertised speed - didn't bother measuring, but YouTube was playing like a crap.

And that's far ahead from worst Internet access I have experienced in NZ and Australia. Cloud is cool, I'm using OneDrive s needed... but we are not there yet, price and availability are still not universal replacement for local storage.
    Certainly. Do you at least agree that the gap between the iPad and laptops regarding said usefulness is shrinking?

I did say it's getting there, hardware wise - even if there are still limitations in connectivity, expandability and flexibility. Now we need more creative software to match improved hardware capabilities. That will make or break “Pro” moniker more than anything else, don’t you agree?
  • Reply 63 of 76
    The iPad's displays are absolutely cramped. iPad Air 2 1024x768 equivalent display versus rMBP 15" 1920x1200 it is no wonder I put my iPad away when I want to get to get things done.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And because the iPad isn't an ideal machine for you, you're labeling it as only a consumption device for everyone, even now with the iPad Pro, side-by-side apps, and Pencil with API support for arguably the best stylus input ever created for a digitizer touchscreen? The iPad doesn't work for my needs either but in no way would I claim it's only for media consumption.

Of course. I'm basing my opinion on than my own personal experience, which seems like a perfectly normal thing to do. ;)

• Reply 65 of 76
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

1) What do you mean that HW is getting there?

2) There are innumerable apps that can be used for creation. I'm using one now called Safari in which to type and submit this post.

The limitations of iOS are still there.  Lacking a decent file manager and professional work don't go together.  Ever tried to send a mail with 2 locally stored Excel files on an iPad? Ridiclously difficult.   

• Reply 66 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

I'm sure the iPad Pro is a fine machine. But, in no way does it "blow the Surface Pro 4 out of the water". Gross over statement that attacks the authors credibility on everything that follows. FWIW, I would choose the Macbook for production and the iPad Pro for media consumption and the like.

Treating the Surface Pro like anything other than the abomination, imitation, joke of a product that it is, would be wrong.

It is probably the worst product of any kind on the market. It is terrible at being a tablet, and unfortunately has compromised and over priced its laptop-side to become a tablet. It has no strong points, and no real market.

The only people I saw buying the old Surface were people wanting the most portable non-netbook PC they could get their hands on. Unfortunately I did not come across a single user that wasn't terribly disappointed with the product.

• Reply 67 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

The limitations of iOS are still there.  Lacking a decent file manager and professional work don't go together. 

OMG. This has to stop. What is lacking about Dropbox/iCloudDrive/OneDrive/InsertOtherCloudService? These are the same services that I use on my Macs/PCs. Why would I ever want a crude local file management system on an iOS device? The worst part of my Macs and PCs are any of the directories not synced to the cloud. Any file I save to those places I eventually am without when I need it somewhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Ever tried to send a mail with 2 locally stored Excel files on an iPad? Ridiclously difficult.   

I can't honestly say I've ever tried to do this. Why? Because its not 1998 anymore. We don't attach things to email. With Excel, I use the cloud to properly share documents for others to View, or Edit..I also maintain control over the original document.

• Reply 68 of 76
    mavis wrote: »
    Of course. I'm basing my opinion on than my own personal experience, which seems like a perfectly normal thing to do. ;)

No it isn't. It's like saying that Sesame Street insults your intelligence as an adult and then declaring it pointless condensing show that can't compete with other quality PBS shows like NOVA.
  • Reply 69 of 76

The iPads will replace a lot of laptops the minute Scrivener becomes available for iOS. Apple should do its part too. How about a decent file manager system? It takes me forever to find apps and files on iOS. If I'm lucky I might find the app and it tells me which folder it's in but it still does not provide me with a way to jump directly to that folder. Come on Apple! This should have been available since v. 1.1.

• Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

The iPads will replace a lot of laptops the minute Scrivener becomes available for iOS. Apple should do its part too. How about a decent file manager system? It takes me forever to find apps and files on iOS. If I'm lucky I might find the app and it tells me which folder it's in but it still does not provide me with a way to jump directly to that folder. Come on Apple! This should have been available since v. 1.1.

You should try using Spotlight Search

• Reply 71 of 76
    pmz wrote: »

OMG. This has to stop. What is lacking about Dropbox/iCloudDrive/OneDrive/InsertOtherCloudService? These are the same services that I use on my Macs/PCs. Why would I ever want a crude local file management system on an iOS device? The worst part of my Macs and PCs are any of the directories not synced to the cloud. Any file I save to those places I eventually am without when I need it somewhere.

I can't honestly say I've ever tried to do this. Why? Because its not 1998 anymore. We don't attach things to email. With Excel, I use the cloud to properly share documents for others to View, or Edit..I also maintain control over the original document.

Yeah, I'm in total agreement with you here. I use Dropbox, iCloud Drive and OneDrive for different purposes and they provide more storage than I will ever need. I got the 128gb iPad Pro and I doubt I'll even use half of it. I got the maxed out rMBP with 1TB and even with my entire movie and music collection, I'm not even half way to full. I have 10TB of storage available on OneDrive because I have the Office 365 subscription. That's ridiculous. I'm at 362gb with all of my movie and music collection up there. I'll never even reach 1TB.

I don't quite get why people would need so much storage capacity. My movie collection (less than 50 including some documentaries and TV shows) is small because there are very, very few movies I'd ever want to watch more than once. Same with music - especially now that I'm subscribing to Apple Music. My library is at around 11,000 songs but I have iCloud Match and only half of those are downloaded as I like to listen to them in the Apple Lossless format. There really isn't so much great music out there that I'd want to own and buy more than this.

I'm perplexed by why people would want to own and store many hundreds of movies taking up multi-terabytes of storage that they'll most likely not watch again or tens of thousands of songs that they'll probably never listen to again. But I guess we're all different and that's why all these options exist...
  • Reply 72 of 76

Spotlight is better than nothing but still can't find my folders. I should be able to hit the folder's name and go directly to it, just like OS X. 

• Reply 73 of 76
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    Quote:

And because the iPad isn't an ideal machine for you, you're labeling it as only a consumption device for everyone, even now with the iPad Pro, side-by-side apps, and Pencil with API support for arguably the best stylus input ever created for a digitizer touchscreen? The iPad doesn't work for my needs either but in no way would I claim it's only for media consumption.

Of course. I'm basing my opinion on than my own personal experience, which seems like a perfectly normal thing to do. ;

Quote:

No it isn't. It's like saying that Sesame Street insults your intelligence as an adult and then declaring it pointless condensing show that can't compete with other quality PBS shows like NOVA.

Umm ... ok. In my experience, the iPad is a great device for content consumption. When I'm on a plane for 14 hours, I love watching movies on my mini. But when I have to actually WORK, the iPad stays in my bag and it's all about the Macbook. 

• Reply 74 of 76
    You leave out a HUGE factor: the Pro and any machine running IOS 9 will not work with POP email Apple has known about this since September and refuses to fix it.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I really gave the iPad Pro a chance to be more than just a music creation tool. Maybe things will improve with iOS 10 but as of now there are just to many limitations.

1.) I use a terminal app a lot, as in I always have one running on every machine I own. However iOS still doesn't allow me to run one in the background without terminating it's remote connections. So running any sort of utility, process viewer, compiler, etc. is out of the question unless I want to stare at it all day. There is also no support for side by side app view yet, though I still want to be able to just put it in the background.

2.) This is an old complaint of mine but very much justifiable, I want the ability to change my default apps as well change the default app for file extensions.

3. Document management, though I get the point when people say, just use iCloud, the fact of the matter is, apps still manage their own files. I want this responsibility to be given to the system. I want a central Document Management System in which all files are stored in one general location. I also want the ability to mount any and all NAS, FTP and Cloud Services. This way when I need to open up a file, the same DMS opens up everytime. It will also negate the need to log into iCloud or any other Cloud Service, over and over and over again. Seriously, I can't believe this isn't more of an issue, I had to log into iCloud at least 60 times with my new iPad Pro, this is absolutely ridiculous. Not only that but when I first setup the Pro, I had to log into every single Apple service individually, with the same credentials. No other OS that I use does this and is extremely aggravating, if not poor design.

4.) Multi-User, self explanatory, though we will never see it as long as apps control their own files. Unless Apple is okay with just having each user re-install all of the apps they want to use.

5. This belongs with my terminal problem but I want to be able to run any and all apps in the background that I need to. The Pro has 4GB of RAM, there is no longer a good excuse for not allowing this. Like with Android, Apple could add a user defined limited, my Nexus 9 is set to 5 apps before the OS starts to pause background processes. Just yesterday, I was trying to stream a video from OneDrive to my TV, that worked just fine however when I tried to use the tablet, the movie stopped, in fact the entire thing just disappeared from my TV, it just went black. This is pretty bad if you ask me, I mean I can stream a movie to my TV, download a large file, compile something using a remote terminal and play Modern Combat 5 all at the same time with my Nexus 9, without any lag. No I don't have ADD, my son wanted to play while I was watching a movie, he wasn't even in the same room.

6.) Mouse support, I bought the Logitech keyboard instead of Apple's, for a couple or reasons. Like the old Surface that also used fabric covered keys, I didn't really care for it, I actually got little friction burns after typing up a three page letter once with it. It doesn't have backlight keys, this is huge for me as I like typing in bed, sometimes even in the dark. The typing experience also wasn't really the best, especially when compared to the Logitech or especially my Apple keyboard from my Mac Pro. The point is though the Logi doesn't have the touch controls that the Apple keyboard has. So while using the iPad Pro at my desk without a mouse, we'll let's just say, like Tim Cook said about laptops with touchscreens, having to constantly reach up to navigate the UI was just to much of a inconvenience and frankly I'm not going to compromise on this. Not when I have other devices that do have the necessary features for me to be productive.

The iPad Pro is still a great device for certain tasks. It absolutely rocks as a music creation device and has definitely improved my workflow, however I unfortunately won't be able to get rid of my other iPads just yet. I still can't run two apps at once as the number of supported apps is still very low and like my iPad Airs before, the second I send one of my music apps in the background they stop playing music. Being able to play sound from two apps at the same time was the whole reason why I bought the iPad Pro in the first place so I'm hoping the apps I use are supported soon. However I think there might be some problems as Apple doesn't even support GarageBand yet.
    The iPad Pro as a productivity machine just isn't ready yet at least no where in the same league as a Surface Pro 4. It's even more of a hard choice when you can buy the SurfaceBook for just 300 more at 1500, I payed a little over 1200 for my iPad Pro with keyboard and stylus.
  • Reply 76 of 76

brakken wrote: »

Everything looks beautiful, except lo-res YouTube vids on such a big screen. But the quad-speakers make up for it quite easily! :D

Do you think Google is doing that as a power play, the way they presumably withheld releasing a Google Maps app for iOS after their contract with Apple was over and Apple had integrated their own vector mapping backend with turn-by-turn support in apps, or do you think it's just a low priority for them to worry about checking to see which resolution video would work best for specific iOS devices? Is it still low-res when on fast WiFi and Internet, not on cellular? Can you hold down the refresh button to load to the desktop page to get higher-res video?
    I noticed that my video podcasts also look terrible on the iPad Pro now, simply because of the vastly sharper resolution. Guess I'll have to start downloading only 1080p and higher content!

OMG. Trying to quote nested quotes doesn't work either. I cannot deal with another extended period of screwed up forum software implementation.
    edited December 2015