https://github.com/SmingHub/Sming/wiki/MacOS-Quickstart

And even as the root user I can't seem to be able to write to /usr/bin:

sh-3.2# whoami

root

sh-3.2# ls -alF build/spiffy

-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 admin  staff  97780 Oct 23 07:51 build/spiffy*

sh-3.2# cp build/spiffy /usr/bin

cp: /usr/bin/spiffy: Operation not permitted

Any ideas about how I could get around this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    e1618978 wrote: »
    sh-3.2# cp build/spiffy /usr/bin
    cp: /usr/bin/spiffy: Operation not permitted

Any ideas about how I could get around this?

Try typing:

sudo cp build/spiffy /usr/bin

and enter the password after hitting return or try typing:

open /usr/bin

then drag the file over and the Finder will popup a dialog to put the password in. Being logged in as root should work though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Try typing:

sudo cp build/spiffy /usr/bin

and enter the password after hitting return or try typing:

open /usr/bin

then drag the file over and the Finder will popup a dialog to put the password in. Being logged in as root should work though.

With the sudo command I get "Operation not permitted", and when I drag the file over it refuses (with a big circle with a slash through it).

• Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    e1618978 wrote: »
    With the sudo command I get "Operation not permitted", and when I drag the file over it refuses (with a big circle with a slash through it).

With /usr/bin open in the Finder, when you open the 'get info' box, what does the sharing and permissions box say? Also, in system prefs > security > general, do you have the system set to something other than allow applications from anywhere? I'm not sure if that locks down certain folders but it makes sense that it would.

If you are on El Capitan, they were supposed to be locking down some system locations so that might be what's blocking the install:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Integrity_Protection

The spiffy binary might not need to be moved to /usr/bin. You can put binaries anywhere and modify your bash preferences to allow them to be executed in the terminal. You can create a bash profile if you don't have one in the home folder called .bash_profile.

If it already exists, just type:

open ~/.bash_profile

if not, type:

touch ~/.bash_profile and then open it.

You'd then put the spiffy binary somewhere e.g /Applications/spiffy/spiffy. If you make a folder it will let you put multiple versions in it without updating the path. Then inside the bash profile, you'd write:

export PATH=/Applications/spiffy:$PATH

save the file and open a new terminal window. The spiffy command should be able to be run directly in the terminal. If you make a new version and want to keep two versions, you just put both binaries in the same folder and they will be accessible in the terminal.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Yeah - I think that the /usr/bin directory is only writable by "system".   I ended up putting it in /usr/local/bin instead.   Thanks!

• Reply 5 of 10
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Yeah - I think that the /usr/bin directory is only writable by "system".   I ended up putting it in /usr/local/bin instead.   Thanks!

You would have to set permissions. If you log into an account with administrative permission on OSX, you should be able to use sudo after entering your password. I don't think you need to configure sudoers on OSX. So sudo may not grant you permissions to write to a write protect directory, but it will allow you to run chmod. Alternatively just go to that folder in your finder. Click get info. Click the lock symbol to make changes. Enter your password. Restore the permissions to their previous state once you finish.

• Reply 6 of 10
    hmm wrote: »
    You would have to set permissions. If you log into an account with administrative permission on OSX, you should be able to use sudo after entering your password. I don't think you need to configure sudoers on OSX. So sudo may not grant you permissions to write to a write protect directory, but it will allow you to run chmod. Alternatively just go to that folder in your finder. Click get info. Click the lock symbol to make changes. Enter your password. Restore the permissions to their previous state once you finish.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmm wrote: »

El Capitan has a suck permissions list now. Only users on the list can use sudo. "man sudo" should explain.

@original poster, /usr/local/bin is a more appropriate place to put binaries you've downloaded. "Local" implies your local machine, or your local customization. "/usr/bin" really should only be what comes with OSX. These are conventions not enforced by anything, however permissions are guiding you to follow the convention.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member

In the original post when you did the 'whoami', did you do a su - root. In some instances an su is insufficient to do certain actions albeit the last time I hit this issue was setting up a netinfo server and hit some nicl quirk years ago.

As Marvin and others have pointed out just put the file in another directory and add that to your $PATH.

• Reply 9 of 10
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lancerkind View Post

El Capitan has a suck permissions list now. Only users on the list can use sudo. "man sudo" should explain.

Linux has always used a specific sudoers file, so it's not surprising. I haven't installed El Capitan yet, so I was unaware of that.