Rumor: Apple to unveil redesigned MacBook Airs, new 15" model at WWDC 2016

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    jakeb wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense to have something called the "Air" not be the lightest thinnest model. And how could you possibly go lighter thinner than the new Macbook?

I agree, so why didn't they call the new 12' MacBook a MacBook Air. Apple has a long history of keeping the old tech around—and sometimes even updating the internals of the older case design—especially when the old model is still with a non-Retina display and the new one is. Do you think they decided that the name MacBook was better than MacBook Air despite the MBA being their best selling Mac, and possibly most recognizable, for many years running now? Why not consider that Apple still thinks the MacBook Air moniker is still valid -and- also agrees with you that Air should be the lightness model?
  • Reply 62 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So how do they make the MacBook Air lighter than 2 pounds and why did the existing MacBook Air not get the Force Touch trackpad when both MacBook Pros did?
  • Reply 63 of 111
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangakatten View Post

This is good news for me as I want to buy a Macbook Air. I think the Macbook pro is too Heavy, but the Macbook is too slow. 

So, you want a rainbow unicorn Macbook then, hmmm?  

Quote:

But I really want a retina display, so I guess I should settle for a Pro.

Yes.  Yes you should.  

Quote:

I do not agree with the article that the redesign of the Pro is due for a refresh. I think they will keep the design for at least two years more.

You don't agree--based on what?  I can't stand when people just talk out of their butts like this.  Please, I implore you...base your opinion on something.  

The current pro design will be nearly four years old soon.  Yes, it got ForceTouch and some upgrades, but it's the same basic design.  It's not even all that different from the preceding unibody design.  The 15" is due for a major processor upgrade to Skylake, and due to get USB-C as well.  It needs a significant redesign.  

Quote:

So my guess is that this is the rumored 14" Macbook they are talking about, which I guess also would suit my needs I guess if the processor gets faster.

What 14" Macbook are you talking about?  I can find no rumor of said device.   Such a product makes zero sense.  It would cannibalize MBP Pro sales.  Do you mean 14" Air?  

• Reply 64 of 111
    I'll bet these are actually the new MacBook Pros coming down the pike. I predict they'll axe the Airs and introduce a "14 MacBook (with 2560x1600 rez), and these new rMBPs will be as thinner, possibly as thin as the crazy tiny 12" MacBook is now at its thickest point. They can use the new USB-c connector for Thunderbolt 3 and I imagine they'll bump the resolution of the 13" MBP to 2880x1800 and the 15" up to 3360x2100.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    We all know what apple has to do to totally gut the entire pc market. Put a retina display in the Air. Period! That's the game changer and we all know this!
    Retina display in the air. Lines will be queued around the block for weeks!.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    maccherry wrote: »
    We all know what apple has to do to totally gut the entire pc market. Put a retina display in the Air. Period! That's the game changer and we all know this!

If they were going to do it it would've happened this year. Not happening.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

They have, but they've called it the "MacBook" and had to price it to accomodate the display. 

It will replace the MacBook Air series once it can come down in price. 

• Reply 68 of 111
    cali wrote: »
    It is confusing.

"Air" is Apple's thin and light name. The reason the MacBook is lighter is because the Airs haven't been updated since then.

If they do choose to discontinue the "11 model the reason is obvious. They expect iPad Pro to take over that segment and expect it to surpass it's power soon.

Unless they intend to make the future Air models even thinner and lighter than 12" MacBook Retina.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Unless they intend to make the future Air models even thinner and lighter than 12" MacBook Retina.

is that even possible without degrading performance or thermal issues?

• Reply 70 of 111
    canukstorm wrote: »

Of course. We're at this point from advancements in architecture and lithography advancements.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    So, you want a rainbow unicorn Macbook then, hmmm?

The existing MacBook Air is currently what he described: more powerful than the MacBook (+ all the ports), and lighter and more portable than the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Of course. We're at this point from advancements in architecture and lithography advancements.

I guess if Apple if uses one their custom-designed A-series SoC's.  I'm not so sure about Intel Core M processors

• Reply 73 of 111
    canukstorm wrote: »

I don't claim to be a hardware engineer like the rest of the "armchair experts." So I wouldn't know the answer to your question. But Apple getting into custom chip design opens a lot of possibilities.
  • Reply 74 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The existing MacBook Air is currently what he described: more powerful than the MacBook (+ all the ports), and lighter and more portable than the MacBook Pro.

No, because it doesn't have a retina display.   He wants a Macbook Pro in MBA packaging, presumably for the MBA price.  Good luck with that.  

• Reply 75 of 111
    The current pro design will be nearly four years old soon. Yes, it got ForceTouch and some upgrades, but it's the same basic design. It's not even all that different from the preceding unibody design. The 15" is due for a major processor upgrade to Skylake, and due to get USB-C as well. It needs a significant redesign.

i always find this position strange. for what reason does even a four-year-old laptop need a case redesign? i can understand modifying the case based on the shape of its ports, battery, etc, but a general, "significant" redesign? whats the value add that drives this need?
  • Reply 76 of 111
    I don't claim to be a hardware engineer like the rest of the "armchair experts." So I wouldn't know the answer to your question. But Apple getting into custom chip design opens a lot of possibilities.

I'm skeptical that Apple could make a thinner Mac that wouldn't sacrifice thermal, battery, keyboard and trackpad. And for what gain? Are people complaining that the MacBook is too heavy? I doubt it. iPad Pro weighs 1.57 pounds. If someone needs something lighter than the 2 pound MacBook get an iPad.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    i always find this position strange. for what reason does even a four-year-old laptop need a case redesign? i can understand modifying the case based on the shape of its ports, battery, etc, but a general, "significant" redesign? whats the value add that drives this need?

Several things. First, ports need to be redesigned, as you noted. Secondly, significant internal changes or driven by better technology. It may be necessary or desirable to change the battery configuration, for example. You are correct that cosmetic changes are probably least necessary. But the fact is, Apple will probably want to make some significant changes for marketing purposes. It's the same thing driving auto manufacturers to do a major redesign every 5 to 7 years. I should be clear that I don't have any personal or desire for a major cosmetic redesign. I'm just saying...look at the history. The MacBook overall design has been extremely similar since 2008. Can you think of another Apple product that has gone nearly 8 years without a major overhaul? I really don't count the 2012 version as all that different.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    nolamacguy wrote: »

I guess because some people think something needs to look different in order to be different. Look at iPhones. Just the other day on CNBC that clown Gene Munster was fretting about the March quarter and kept saying iPhone 7 will change things. Translation: people will buy the iPhone 7 because it will look different than the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 79 of 111
    No, because it doesn't have a retina display.   He wants a Macbook Pro in MBA packaging, presumably for the MBA price.  Good luck with that.  

Exactly. There's no way Apple would release a redesigned MBA with Retina display for the same price as the current MBAs. So what's the point. Might as well get a MBP then.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So how do they make the MacBook Air lighter than 2 pounds and why did the existing MacBook Air not get the Force Touch trackpad when both MacBook Pros did?

You make it lighter by making it thinner and reducing bezels. You make it thinner with keyboard tech. Not as thin as MacBook but perhaps new Magic keyboard thin.

Existing MBA didn't get force touch because they want the new models to stand out on their own. They'll call the new Machines probably the MBA with Retina display.