Apple rumored to ditch headphone jack on 'iPhone 7' for Lightning connector audio

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 191
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ignomini View Post

Yeah, an Apple adaptor: sticks out an inch from the phone, breaks off the first time you put it in your pocket,

Or, maybe it will be something more practical like this for the original iPhone, which moves the connection and DAC further down the cable, like volume controls, for instance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You missed my point about the phone jack being analog and the Lightning being digital.   If there's an adapter, it would have to contain an analog to digital circuit.   It's not just a matter of a different form factor.   That would be expensive and will either increase the size of the adapter or increase the size of the headphones or earbud cables.   

And sticking an adapter into the Lightning jack increases the stress on that jack.   It also doubles the number of insertions into the Lightning jack whereas they're split between the Lightning jack and the phone jack now  AND it means that you couldn't listen with earphones while it's charging (assuming there's still only going to be one Lightning jack and not two).

When Apple changed from the 30-pin adapter to Lightning, they had to include a DAC in the dock for the headphone jack, whereas the original docks didn't have one using the analogue output. They charged $10 more for the iPhone 5 dock than the iPhone 4 dock. Didn't seem to impact Apple's decision to then raise the price by $10 more and offer not just one, but 5 different Lightning docks. So yes, it will cost more, but $10 won't be a blip on the radar for most consumers who are buying headphones above what Apple gives them for free with their iPhones. And for those who want to charge more, there won't be any end to the marketing of higher end DACs to deliver higher quality audio, justifying it. And it should be quite effective since we're dealing with people who think wireless headphones are inferior to any wired headphone for listening to 128bit mp3s to conserve space on their iPhones, or better yet streaming web audio. 

So I've already debunked the increased jack stress concern with the above response to ignomini. The increase in size to the outboard gear will not be substantial, if it's even noticeable to most consumers, depending on what solution they opt for. And if this comes to pass, do you really believe Apple does not know the number of repeated inserts the Lightning port can take before it fails? I connect a lightning adapter to my iPhone multiple times a day. Every time I get into my car, every time I arrive and leave my office or my house, and multiple times at home as I retrieve my phone from the charger (where it lives) to answer calls or texts. At most inserting a headphone wouldn't add substantially to that count, which would likely be less for a typical customer. And yes it's only going to be one Lightning jack. I personally can't imagine a situation where I would want to both charge my phone and use my headphones (it's always too awkward as I'm forced to whatever the level my charging cord will reach from the wall outlet), but should someone wish to do that, that same adapter that's already in use to allow traditional mini-phone plug headphones to plug into Lightning, only needs a double-ended plug -- perhaps something like this:

So it's really about whatever options a particular customer needs with their headphones. It's easy to throw up endless obstacles, but not very practical since the number of customers for which 100% of all dilemmas this potential change would affect is likely zero -- and almost all of which can be easily and conveniently overcome for whatever small percentage of Apple's new customer base they affect.

• Reply 182 of 191
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Or, maybe it will be something more practical like this for the original iPhone, which moves the connection and DAC further down the cable, like volume controls, for instance

Movie the DAC is always an option. All BT headphones have a DAC, right? I think the problem might come down to cost. Is the DAC so cheap that we can one per headphone mad as opposed to just one per iPhone? With the iPhone, they could probably negate the cost of the DAC in the iPhone by moving it and other HW to Lightning EarPods.

What are the cost of BT HW these days? Could we actually get BT EarPods in 2016? Seems unlikely to me, but so many thought Apple going with IPS and 4x the number of pixels for the iPhone and Macs when they did wasn't possible at those prices; do I don't think it can be ruled out.
  • Reply 183 of 191
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Most definitely not. Built-in D/A chips have improved by leaps and bounds over the past fifteen years. 

Also, Apple uses Cirrus audio converters in their MacBooks, same as in their iOS devices, and have for years (at least since 2011 — didn't check any older machines). Sound quality is quite fine. 

I would agree it's better now.  The sound quality from my Macbook unibody was pretty poor, with low level hiss and digital artifacts.  That was probably Intel's Integrated High Definition Audio not being well implemented at the time.  There are reports of this issue occurring with several other models also.

• Reply 184 of 191
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I would agree it's better now.  The sound quality from my Macbook unibody was pretty poor, with low level hiss and digital artifacts.  That was probably Intel's Integrated High Definition Audio not being well implemented at the time.  There are reports of this issue occurring with several other models also.

It could also have been a faulty component. I've had every unibody MBP in which I've used wired headphones without that issue. When in doubt, Genius Bar appt. (if possible).
  • Reply 185 of 191
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It could also have been a faulty component. I've had every unibody MBP in which I've used wired headphones without that issue. When in doubt, Genius Bar appt. (if possible).

There is no Apple store in Ireland, which is a bit strange as their European headquarters are based here.  I would have to fly to London. The issue has been reported by others - Duckduckgo 'macbook headphone hiss'.  I use very good headphones and have pretty good hearing for my age.  If it had been just hiss I would agree it might have been a component but hearing digi artifacts and switching noises also, makes me think it was Intel's fault.  The sound quality from the preceding  Powerbook was faultless.

The issues were quite subtle and you had to have quiet musical passages or silence to hear them.

There were other issues with that machine and in retrospect I should have returned it.  I thought about it at the time but I was in a bind with the failure of my Powerbook Ti and had no alternative machine and couldn't afford to wait for the next model.

• Reply 186 of 191
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    I remember hearing a rumour that Apple was developing a screen that could act as a camera. Then there was another one that said they were working on putting TouchID in the screen as well. If all these rumours are true the iPhone 7 could end up looking really interesting
  • Reply 187 of 191
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 188 of 191
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    dklebedev wrote: »
    :D
    iphone-7-kak-dve-kapli-vodyi-pohozhiy-na-galaxy-s6-edge-kontsept-.jpg

Yeah something like that. Only problem is it would make all the cracked screens a helluva lot worse
  • Reply 189 of 191
    I like that the phones are getting thinner and thinner.

I don't have any problem with the headphone jack going away. It's a dinosaur. There'll be adapters to connect to your legacy audio headphones/devices, no need to fret.
  • Reply 190 of 191
    Have to agree with other commenters. Making the device thinner doesn't buy anything and while I don't have non-standard headphones, I don't want to have to buy adapters if I need to charge and use headphones at the same time (I do this a lot for watching video I can't get outside certain apps). Instead of making the device thinner over time, please just keep adding more battery capacity, thanks!