Study: Dissatisfied Apple Watch owners cite lack of features, but half will buy next-gen model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So they polled 11,000 people, found 97% (10,670) were satisfied, then made a big deal out of the 3% who weren't? Did I read that correctly?

I suppose they probably felt they had to because some claimed they were biased in favor of the watch.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mj web wrote: »
    Design is one major area the survey fails to address. I find the chicklet design chunky, ungainly, and ugly; downright geeky, in fact. I'm impressed with the design of the band, however, which is a beginning. I suggest Jonny Ive forget v.1 and go back to the drawing boards if Apple wants to sell me a watch.

Except it's not thicker than many mechanical watches. What makes it ugly? That its a rounded rec instead of round? Even though round makes less sense from a function stand point?
  • Reply 23 of 101
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    mj web wrote: »
    Design is one major area the survey fails to address. I find the chicklet design chunky, ungainly, and ugly; downright geeky, in fact. I'm impressed with the design of the band, however, which is a beginning. I suggest Jonny Ive forget v.1 and go back to the drawing boards if Apple wants to sell me a watch.

I'm sure Ive fell over his own feet looking for a pencil to scribble this down…
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Lack of features is interesting considering how many features this had to come out of the gate with just to be the success that it is. I would have thought one of the biggest complaints would have been too many features make it too confusing to use the new UI, especially considering how I hear that a traditional watch or fitness tracker is a better option because it's not as complex.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tknull View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

No. You didn't read it correctly. They didn't make a big deal about it.

People such as yourself are unable to read anything that has even the slightest resemblance to criticism of Apple or one of its products without reading something into it that just simply isn't there.

Since the vast majority of people are happy with the watch, they were curious (as I am sure other people are as well) what the ones that didn't like the watch found to be the biggest problems with the device. It is as simple as that.

-kpluck

He was not wrong in that anyone casually glancing at the article gets the mistaken impression that there is significant dissatisfaction with the device.  Its a completely fair and appropriate question to ask if his assessment was correct.

"anyone casually glancing at the article gets the mistaken impression"

I didn't get the "mistaken impression". I clicked on the link to the published report, and then I read it.

?It's perfectly clear. There is no such thing as a product with 100% satisfaction. So, for the people who were not satisfied with their ?Watch purchase; Why not? What is it that (in their opinion) was lacking?

Was that too tough for you?

• Reply 26 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Except it's not thicker than many mechanical watches. What makes it ugly? That its a rounded rec instead of round? Even though round makes less sense from a function stand point?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the Macbook Air beautiful. And the Cartier Tank watch I'm wearing right now, similar in shape to Apple's Watch. I shopped the Watch and tried several on. Wasn't for me. I'm interested in breakthrough health monitoring more than notifications for road warriors. v.2 or 3 might be more well suited for me.

• Reply 27 of 101
    I think I sold an Apple Watch one day at the local farmer's market. Standing in line behind me was a guy with two little kids. He spotted my Watch and asked, "is that the Apple Watch?" I affirmed it was, and he asked how I like it. I saw that one of his kids was wearing a Miami Dolphins jersey, so I raised the watch, said 'hey Siri, what's the Dolphins schedule?' And then showed him how the Digital Crown scrolls through the list of upcoming games. He was all smiles. Pretty sure he made a trip to the local Apple Store not long after.

1) I still can't figure out why Siri works so much better on the Watch as compared to the iPhone in which the data is passing through via BT and cellular or WiFi.

2) Based on my anecdotal experience (and [@]anantksundaram[/@]'s, too) the Apple Watch is going to be a huge Holiday gift to give and recieve.
  • Reply 28 of 101

They just wanted to know, what people who didn't like their watch, didn't like about it.

• Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

I stopped wearing mine too...

Right... 3%, go away. BTW, they all knew the "lacking features" before they bought it.

• Reply 30 of 101
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Are we readers supposed to react in horror and start clamoring for Apple to do something, anything, to prevent the epic fail? 

No, I think we're supposed to read it and generate ad revenue for a site that culls stuff from other sites which employ journalists and writers.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"anyone casually glancing at the article gets the mistaken impression"

I didn't get the "mistaken impression". I clicked on the link to the published report, and then I read it.

?It's perfectly clear. There is no such thing as a product with 100% satisfaction. So, for the people who were not satisfied with their ?Watch purchase; Why not? What is it that (in their opinion) was lacking?

Was that too tough for you?

Nope, not too tough.  But if you disagree with what someone says, or if they ask people whether they are mistaken, you can clearly and concisely explain your point of view.  To start out your reply by throwing out insults is childish.  Grow up, and maybe then you will find people actually respect what you have to say.

• Reply 32 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

No. You didn't read it correctly. They didn't make a big deal about it.

Fanboys such as yourself are unable to read anything that has even the slightest resemblance to criticism of Apple or one of its products without reading something into it that just simply isn't there.

Since the vast majority of people are happy with the watch, they were curious (as I am sure other people are as well) what the ones that didn't like the watch found to be the biggest problems with the device. It is as simple as that.

-kpluck

Hey, bud, the fracking fanboy IS YOU. Got that BUDDY, You're as biased as brick in that comment.

This is a clickbait piece of shit manipulated article and

I got the god damn degree in PR/communication to say so  (amongst other degrees...)

Any journalist on earth would back me on that one.

1% is the margin of error for a perfect random sample here, which this thing isn't.

So, you're can't deduce anything really inside this 3%, which makes the comment even more senseless

I

• Reply 33 of 101
    I guess I'm in the 3% but I still wear mine, just not that useful.. I like having Live Photos as my watch face. Had always really bothered me the screen is not retina, it's embarrassingly pixelated. Just not worth the money in my opinion :(
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Had always really bothered me the screen is not retina, it's embarrassingly pixelated. Just not worth the money in my opinion :(

It's 326-ish PPI, the same as the iPhones have been since 2010.
  • Reply 35 of 101

290 PPI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davidslaton View Post

I guess I'm in the 3% but I still wear mine, just not that useful.. I like having Live Photos as my watch face. Had always really bothered me the screen is not retina, it's embarrassingly pixelated. Just not worth the money in my opinion image

The screen is retina: 290 PPI (38mm) 303 PPI (42mm); so,  another uninformed comment. Come on, continue. Go on.

• Reply 36 of 101

you can go to an apple store and mess about with it, find the version you want, ask all the questions you can think of ... and then buy it.

after spending $350+ is when you thought it does not have enough value? 

• Reply 37 of 101
    foggyhill wrote: »
    The screen is retina: 290 PPI; so,  another uninformed comment. Come on, continue.

How did you get 290 PPI? Did you measure using the height of watch face, not the display itself?
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

you can go to an apple store and mess about with it, find the version you want, ask all the questions you can think of ... and then buy it.

after spending $350+ is when you thought it does not have enough value? 

An you can still return it too... So, that so call answer makes no sense. Probably because the 3% gives no statistically significant value.

• Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

How did you get 290 PPI? Did you measure using the height of watch face, not the display itself?

From the Wiki with all the PPI of Apple products. Could be wrong though. But, it's still retina no matter what number is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

• Reply 40 of 101
    foggyhill wrote: »
    From the Wiki with all the PPI of Apple products. Could be wrong though. But, it's still retina no matter what number is.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

Their diagonal display size and resolutions are correct Pop those into any number of online PPI calculators.