Study: Dissatisfied Apple Watch owners cite lack of features, but half will buy next-gen model

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 101
    foggyhill wrote: »
    290 PPI

    The screen is retina: 290 PPI (38mm) 303 PPI (42mm); so,  another uninformed comment. Come on, continue. Go on.

    Uninformed? I look at it every day and the screen sucks, it's retina from 3 feet away. I can't wait till they fix it and give the stupid watch a cellular radio.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    Uninformed? I look at it every day and the screen sucks, it's retina from 3 feet away. I can't wait till they fix it and give the stupid watch a cellular radio.

    1) Retina from 3 feet away means you're vision is 20/5?

    2) So the same PPI as the iPhone is "broken"? Got it¡
  • Reply 43 of 101
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Probably because the 3% gives no statistically significant value.

    You got that right, especially since this is 3% of their opt-in survey panel.

    https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3898-a-mountain-of-salt-for-the-apple-watch-satisfaction-numbers#comments
  • Reply 44 of 101
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davidslaton View Post





    Uninformed? I look at it every day and the screen sucks, it's retina from 3 feet away. I can't wait till they fix it and give the stupid watch a cellular radio.

     

    Only two fracking Iphones or Ipads have a significantly higher resolution : the 6+, 6s+.

    Are telling me all those things are also pieces of shit! that's why I can't take you seriously.

     

    So, sell the god damn thing and find that miracle watch  or quit whining; simple as that.

     

    As for damn cellular? You want your watch twice the size that lasts half the time...

    Same thing for the display, which is already the most power hungry part of the watch, making the resolution higher would just make it more power hungry. That would make the battery a lot worse.

  • Reply 45 of 101
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Retina from 3 feet away means you're vision is 20/5?

    2) So the same PPI as the iPhone is "broken"? Got it¡

    Jiffy-Pop time.... :D
  • Reply 46 of 101
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Only two fracking Iphones or Ipads have a significantly higher resolution : the 6+, 6s+.
    Are telling me all those things are also pieces of shit! that's why I can't take you seriously.

    So, sell the god damn thing and find that miracle watch  or quit whining; simple as that.

    As for damn cellular? You want your watch twice the size that lasts half the time...
    Same thing for the display, which is already the most power hungry part of the watch, making the resolution higher would just make it more power hungry. That would make the battery a lot worse.

    It has 290 ppi which is less than the iPhone 4 .. So every phone after the iPhone 4 kills the watch. Maybe the next model will have the same ppi as the iPhone 4, how nice and advanced that would be.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    I think that Apple made a mistake initially trying to get apps for the watch. App makers didn't get the chance to really debug their stuff, and they had to run it on the phone instead of the watch. This resulted in buggy apps that were tantalizing, but didn't really work.

    Now that they can run on the watch, I suspect the app has to be rewritten for the watch, slowing down the introduction of apps that actually work.

    I simply gave up on apps, except for about 3 that actually work, most of the time.

    Most of the slowness of the watch is due to software issues, which will eventually get sorted out The problem is that once you experience it working well, the times when it doesn't are even more frustrating.

    Its wonderful to look at the watch to see who's calling, frustrating when it takes an extra 3 seconds to actually answer the call on the watch. If you're in a position to get your phone out, you can do that quicker than answer on the watch. When you do answer on the watch, it works very well if the environment is fairly quiet.

    Fantastic to use idealist (a shopping list app) on the watch, frustrating to get it to start up on the watch about 1/2 of the time.

    Fantastic to use Things, frustrating trying to get Siri to transcribe what your're saying when she doesn't have much context, and seemingly no option to just keep the voice recording instead.

    Great to be able to go pick up somebody, and as you get near say: "hey siri, text joe I'm here" while you are driving, frustrating when siri continues to listen for more input for about 10 more seconds before showing: "OK, I'll send this to Joe: I'm here", and offering a "don't send" button, but no "send" button, then waiting for another 10 seconds for it to send.

    Great to be able to control music from the watch, frustrating that I have to go back to the watch face to check notifications, and a bit tedious to get back to the music app.

    The various bugs and nits in the interface add a good deal of extra friction to the usage, and for a watch, its super important not to have this extra friction.

    This situation will only improve with time. At some point, the nit frequency will drop to a point where its not noticable. Then the watch will really start to shine.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    So they polled 11,000 people, found 97% (10,670) were satisfied, then made a big deal out of the 3% who weren't? Did I read that correctly?

    I think some useful information can be gleaned from the expectations of those who are/were unsatisfied.

    "Other that that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"
  • Reply 49 of 101
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    So they polled 11,000 people, found 97% (10,670) were satisfied, then made a big deal out of the 3% who weren't? Did I read that correctly?

    And not only that, 50% of that 3% want the next gen model!

    I was thinking this article was a data analyst's joke XD
  • Reply 50 of 101
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    kpluck wrote: »
    No. You didn't read it correctly. They didn't make a big deal about it.

    People such as yourself are unable to read anything that has even the slightest resemblance to criticism of Apple or one of its products without reading something into it that just simply isn't there.

    Since the vast majority of people are happy with the watch, they were curious (as I am sure other people are as well) what the ones that didn't like the watch found to be the biggest problems with the device. It is as simple as that.

    -kpluck

    Unfortunately the survey based 'research' they do is very flawed. The Likert scales are worded weirdly and skew the data. I left their surveys because of this.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    tenlytenly Posts: 707member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    1% is the margin of error for a perfect random sample here, which this thing isn't.

    So, you're can't deduce anything really inside this 3%, which makes the comment even more senseless

    Apple makes some great products - but none of them are perfect. Every single one of them can be improved in some way. They also make some mistakes. Every time somebody points out one of them you jump in and start with the name calling and the misinformation.

    There's not a single thing wrong with this article. Yes, it's based on the responses and opinions of a very small group of people - but nobody is drawing any conclusions from their opinions. Maybe it was a slow news day. This data - as meaningless as it is - exists. So what's wrong with sharing it? Nothing. Some people might find it moderately interesting and it could (as it has) spark some good conversations! (this is not one of them)

    I don't believe you have a PR degree or any other kind of degree. Your spelling, grammar, attitude and opinions lead me to believe you're probably a high school dropout and definitely a bully. Do you think that anyone on this forum enjoys your posts? Believes anything you say? Thinks you are anything more than a joke? If you answered yes to any of those questions, you're delusional.

    Here's some free advice: Lighten up. Take a deep breath and explain your point of view calmly, without any name calling. If someone is clearly wrong about something - call them out on it - without calling them names. If they're NOT wrong but they have a different opinion than yours - respect it! They are entitled to their own opinions and from what I've read recently, it's extremely likely that more people will share their opinions than will share yours. Above all else - stop bullying people.

    If you can do all that - maybe, just maybe - people will start to take you seriously and listen to what you have to say. If not - well, you're just wasting your breath because nobody believes or cares about a single thing you have to say.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    acgmph wrote: »
    'm not too happy about the design of the bracelets, they get dirty ugly, so I have to buy new ones like once a year..
    How do you know?
    You mean you anticipate you'll have to buy a new band once a year
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by acgmph View Post



    I used to buy myself one new watch every year (Fossils were my favorite) until Apple released the watch because I like new things from time to time. Then I contributed to the overall decline of Swiss watch exports because I got an Apple Watch. It works great for me. Between Apple Pay (which I use constantly wherever I can, and I shop predominantly at places that take Apple Pay), the activity tracker, the heart rate monitor (I have a condition for which keeping an eye on bpms helps), and the notifications (that I don't have to carry my phone around everywhere I go in the house or at work for me to get texts and such), I think that's the best $400 I ever spent. It also has a great battery life (more than a day with usually 35-50% come bed time, but I always charge at night). I'm not too happy about the design of the bracelets, they get dirty ugly, so I have to buy new ones like once a year. Still, works for me. Instead of spending a few hundred each year on a dumb watch that only tells the time and just looks different than the one I had last year, I'm better off with $400 once every few years. I am not looking to upgrade to second gen Apple Watch. Maybe third or fourth. I will hang on to this thing for a long time.



    I share your feelings and experience for the most part. I love my 42 Sport, and wear it every day.

     

    What sticks in my mind is what Sir Jony said about it: It's the most personal product Apple has every made. That's true for me. I love the overall convenience it offers me for quick access to the information I care about.

     

    However, I can't wait for the next version with its promise of greater speed and more and improved features.

  • Reply 54 of 101
    "We polled more than 330 naysayers and some common narratives emerged."
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Let's see... 3% don't like the functionality and half of them would buy again. We've essentially located the 1.5% of the AppleWatch buyers that love the appearance/style/fashion alone.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    tenlytenly Posts: 707member
    An interesting contrast/backdrop for this data would be to find out what percentage of Galaxy Gear and Pebble owners are dis-satisfied and within those groups of dissatisfied users, what percentage of them will buy the next one.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Davidslaton View Post





    It has 290 ppi which is less than the iPhone 4 .. So every phone after the iPhone 4 kills the watch. Maybe the next model will have the same ppi as the iPhone 4, how nice and advanced that would be.



    It's 326 PPI, same as the iPhone 6. I'll trust DisplayMate's findings over other ramblings on the internet. DisplayMate also found the Apple Watch display to be very similar to the iPhone 6's display. 

     

    It's amazing what 2 seconds of internet search can find, instead of rambling on about something you obvious don't know much about. 

    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Extensive-Apple-Watch-display-test-same-PPI-color-calibration-and-color-accuracy-as-the-iPhone-6_id68730

     

    PS: The iPhone 6s has the same PPI as the iPhone 4 at 326. The 6/6s Plus have 401 PPI. 

  • Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     

    Seriously, could someone from the AI editorial staff explain what this article is and why it was posted? Because a 3% dissatisfaction rate seems insignificant for electronic devices and much less than the norm. I would guess that something like 10-20% is the norm because that’s about how many chronic complainers and malcontents inhabit tech forums. They are dissatisfied with everything. See ATV4 discussions.

     

    Are we readers supposed to react in horror and start clamoring for Apple to do something, anything, to prevent the epic fail? 


     

    It may be just me but does anyone else still press the wrong button in the wrong way to get the ?Pay screen? I've had the watch since day 1 and there are only 2 buttons but I still get it wrong.. Shut down screen or Siri isn't much use when trying to pay..

  • Reply 59 of 101
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ladybumps wrote: »
    It may be just me but does anyone else still press the wrong button in the wrong way to get the ?Pay screen?

    Not that I can recall. I use Apple Pay on average at least once a day, and it's mostly via my Watch. Double click the Contacts button and then you're good to go. If you accidentally press the Digital Crown, doesn't matter what screen it's on or if the screen is off, just press the Contacts button twice. You can even practice that without being near an NFC-reader, unlike with the iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    dlewis wrote: »
    I think that Apple made a mistake initially trying to get apps for the watch. App makers didn't get the chance to really debug their stuff, and they had to run it on the phone instead of the watch. This resulted in buggy apps that were tantalizing, but didn't really work.

    Now that they can run on the watch, I suspect the app has to be rewritten for the watch, slowing down the introduction of apps that actually work.

    I simply gave up on apps, except for about 3 that actually work, most of the time.

    Most of the slowness of the watch is due to software issues, which will eventually get sorted out The problem is that once you experience it working well, the times when it doesn't are even more frustrating.

    Its wonderful to look at the watch to see who's calling, frustrating when it takes an extra 3 seconds to actually answer the call on the watch. If you're in a position to get your phone out, you can do that quicker than answer on the watch. When you do answer on the watch, it works very well if the environment is fairly quiet.

    Fantastic to use idealist (a shopping list app) on the watch, frustrating to get it to start up on the watch about 1/2 of the time.

    Fantastic to use Things, frustrating trying to get Siri to transcribe what your're saying when she doesn't have much context, and seemingly no option to just keep the voice recording instead.

    Great to be able to go pick up somebody, and as you get near say: "hey siri, text joe I'm here" while you are driving, frustrating when siri continues to listen for more input for about 10 more seconds before showing: "OK, I'll send this to Joe: I'm here", and offering a "don't send" button, but no "send" button, then waiting for another 10 seconds for it to send.

    Great to be able to control music from the watch, frustrating that I have to go back to the watch face to check notifications, and a bit tedious to get back to the music app.

    The various bugs and nits in the interface add a good deal of extra friction to the usage, and for a watch, its super important not to have this extra friction.

    This situation will only improve with time. At some point, the nit frequency will drop to a point where its not noticable. Then the watch will really start to shine.

    Fantastic post that sums up what is my general experience with the watch. Almost there but just not quite.

    The slowness and inconsistency of the interface has dialed down my use to just the most basic functions of time and date keeping. I don't even bother trying to answer the phone as people typically hang up before the multi second lag connects.
Sign In or Register to comment.