Study: Dissatisfied Apple Watch owners cite lack of features, but half will buy next-gen model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    If you bought an Apple Watch and don't use the fitness features, you are a fool who is just getting fatter and fatter. It has literally changed my life.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    I use my Apple Watch for almost everything. It tells me if I'm on track with my exercise and standing goals for the day. It tells me whose calling, texting or emailing me. It tells me the weather at a flick of the wrist. It reminds me of my appointments and pulses at me on when to turn even before Siri does. I use it to check headlines in the New York Times when looking at my iPhone in boring meetings would be too obvious. It reminds me of my to-dos throughout the day.

I am extremely pleased with Apple Watch. The only major feature that I could really use is that it be waterproof for swimming. Maybe version 2.0?
  • Reply 63 of 101
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Lack of features? Imo it has too many. My ideal smartwatch wouldn't have email or texting or phone calls or instagram or maps or anything like that. I think people need to stop making smartwatches mini smartphones
  • Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

How do you know?

You mean you anticipate you'll have to buy a new band once a year

Looking at my current bracelet, I am estimating needing to buy one every year. I have the black silicone from Apple one right now and it has weird dirt patterns on it that do not come off easily. So I guess I'll need a new clean one to wear for work and such and one separate for physical activity (as the thing gets more dirty if you get sweat on it). 

• Reply 65 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    So they polled 11,000 people, found 97% (10,670) were satisfied, then made a big deal out of the 3% who weren't? Did I read that correctly?
    Not entirely. AI simply didn't explain it all that clearly.

The overwhelming majority are happy wearers of their Apple Watch, but not 97% of them apparently. Around12% of them said they personally knew someone who had stopped wearing their Apple Watch, which led to this followup survey. So this isn't about the 3% cited in the original, and Wristly explains why the original shouldn't be taken at face value. Little doubt tho that most Apple Watch buyers have no regrets and love 'em.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/10/apple-watch-stopped-wearing/
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-a5AOFoVTOIu3TJpwxoYUuGz7YTaeQUDhsuN3NJtq9s/pub

EDIT: For those who don't follow links Wristly explains why they did this particular survey

"We have regularly commented that our research reports have a natural positive bias due to the nature of the opt-in recruitment of the panel. Yet we’ve also tried repeatedly over the last months to assess the other side of the product but are consistently unsuccessful in identifying and then polling people who were not satisfied with Apple Watch. This week we’re finally making some progress on this conundrum.
    First we asked you about it and 12% of you stated that you knew at least one other person who owned Apple Watch and wasn’t satisfied with it. We subsequently contacted those respondents and asked them to forward our “Unsatisfaction” anonymous survey to these people - the link for it is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/wristly-no-usage
    We will report the findings in the next weeks once a sufficient quorum of users has been polled. If you know someone who is dissatisfied with Apple Watch, please ask them to take this survey. It is only five questions and is completely anonymous."

on another Apple Watch-related note owners are putting them to good use when flying...
    http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/ba-introduces-new-apple-watch-scanners.html
    "The use of the British Airways Apple watch app has quadrupled in just four months and in response the airline is introducing new scanners to make them easier and faster to use... Apple watches now account for more than five per cent of app usage, giving customers access to real-time flight status, gate information, a countdown to the departure time and the weather at their destination."
  • Reply 66 of 101
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    why- wrote: »
    Lack of features? Imo it has too many. My ideal smartwatch wouldn't have email or texting or phone calls or instagram or maps or anything like that. I think people need to stop making smartwatches mini smartphones

You know you can turn off those apps, right?
  • Reply 67 of 101
    lkrupp wrote: »

Which means you’re in the insignificant minority, an outlier not worthy of consideration. How does it feel to have your opinion not make any difference as 97% don’t agree?

You don't have to be a dick
  • Reply 68 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Design is one major area the survey fails to address. I find the chicklet design chunky, ungainly, and ugly; downright geeky, in fact. I'm impressed with the design of the band, however, which is a beginning. I suggest Jonny Ive forget v.1 and go back to the drawing boards if Apple wants to sell me a watch.

You are part of the insignificant 3% minority. I don’t think Jony cares.

• Reply 69 of 101
    lkrupp wrote: »

Which means you’re in the insignificant minority, an outlier not worthy of consideration. How does it feel to have your opinion not make any difference as 97% don’t agree?

Wow, it must be difficult being perfect *and* odor free, surrounded by such insignficance. A less self-righteous mind might see a company, any company, learning from what people don't like as opposed to the nodding heads of the majority. I thoughty you people (oh yes, I said "you people"!) liked innovation, not keeping things the same because "everybody likes it, why change it?"
  • Reply 70 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tenly wrote: »
    An interesting contrast/backdrop for this data would be to find out what percentage of Galaxy Gear and Pepple owners are dis-satisfied and within those groups of dissatisfied users, what percentage of them will buy the next one.
    Don't be silly, people don't buy Galaxy Gears, they get them for free with the phone, then fail to sell them on eBay.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    You know you can turn off those apps, right?

Oh really? I assumed you couldn't. Apple is infamous for including uninstall-able default apps
  • Reply 72 of 101
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    So what...I bought it knowing it was a first gen product with a limited feature set because I wanted to get in on the next generation of Apple technology from its infancy. It's always fun and at times useful and I'll happily get the next gen Watch when it's available. When I bought my first iPhone people made a similarly big deal about how it had no features and wasn't useful. Obviously time changed that, and it was fun to get in on the ground level.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Design is one major area the survey fails to address. I find the chicklet design chunky, ungainly, and ugly; downright geeky, in fact. I'm impressed with the design of the band, however, which is a beginning. I suggest Jonny Ive forget v.1 and go back to the drawing boards if Apple wants to sell me a watch.

LOL. 12M people + Apple's most successful new product introduction -- ever -- say you're wrong.

• Reply 74 of 101
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tknull View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"anyone casually glancing at the article gets the mistaken impression"

I didn't get the "mistaken impression". I clicked on the link to the published report, and then I read it.

?It's perfectly clear. There is no such thing as a product with 100% satisfaction. So, for the people who were not satisfied with their ?Watch purchase; Why not? What is it that (in their opinion) was lacking?

Was that too tough for you?

Nope, not too tough.  But if you disagree with what someone says, or if they ask people whether they are mistaken, you can clearly and concisely explain your point of view.  To start out your reply by throwing out insults is childish.  Grow up, and maybe then you will find people actually respect what you have to say.

Or you could just take your own advice (given that I couldn't give a crap one way or the other)

• Reply 75 of 101
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not entirely. AI simply didn't explain it all that clearly.

The overwhelming majority are happy wearers of their Apple Watch, but not 97% of them apparently. Around12% of them said they personally knew someone who had stopped wearing their Apple Watch, which led to this followup survey. So this isn't about the 3% cited in the original, and Wristly explains why the original shouldn't be taken at face value. Little doubt tho that most Apple Watch buyers have no regrets and love 'em.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/10/apple-watch-stopped-wearing/
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-a5AOFoVTOIu3TJpwxoYUuGz7YTaeQUDhsuN3NJtq9s/pub

EDIT: For those who don't follow links Wristly explains why they did this particular survey

"We have regularly commented that our research reports have a natural positive bias due to the nature of the opt-in recruitment of the panel. Yet we’ve also tried repeatedly over the last months to assess the other side of the product but are consistently unsuccessful in identifying and then polling people who were not satisfied with Apple Watch. This week we’re finally making some progress on this conundrum.
    First we asked you about it and 12% of you stated that you knew at least one other person who owned Apple Watch and wasn’t satisfied with it. We subsequently contacted those respondents and asked them to forward our “Unsatisfaction” anonymous survey to these people - the link for it is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/wristly-no-usage
    We will report the findings in the next weeks once a sufficient quorum of users has been polled. If you know someone who is dissatisfied with Apple Watch, please ask them to take this survey. It is only five questions and is completely anonymous."

on another Apple Watch-related note owners are putting them to good use when flying...
    http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/ba-introduces-new-apple-watch-scanners.html
    "The use of the British Airways Apple watch app has quadrupled in just four months and in response the airline is introducing new scanners to make them easier and faster to use... Apple watches now account for more than five per cent of app usage, giving customers access to real-time flight status, gate information, a countdown to the departure time and the weather at their destination."

This is a good summary of why anything from Wristly is questionable. The entire purpose of Wristly, a company specifically founded to promote the Apple Watch, is to ensure its successful development. And they do it with an opt-in membership online survey panel. I looked for information about who's funding Wristly but haven't been able to find anything concrete. Yet, the media is promoting this on par with other respected unbiased polling organizations, using a more reliable sampling. The whole thing is very weird.

https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3898-a-mountain-of-salt-for-the-apple-watch-satisfaction-numbers
  • Reply 76 of 101
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Name another product with 97% satisfaction rating.

This article is about -- at most -- the 3% that weren't satisfied. Who cares.

I just got mine a few days ago, a 42mm Space Grey version.  USED, like new, but still,...  I actually like it more then I thought I would.  I haven't worn a watch in years.  Not since I got my first dumb phone.  I figured, the time is on that, why wear a watch!

The screen coming on when looking at the watch is quick and I don't have a issue with that.  The screen looks amazing.  If you want a screen that's always ON and long battery life, you have to have sacrifices and get a watch with a e-ink display like a Pebble.   Until something Magical happens with battery life, that's how things are.

I also think it's faster then I thought it would be with people saying it's so SSLLOOOW.  That's not true.  If it has to load content form the phone, that slow things down some, but come on, it's a WATCH.  You can't have a super fast processor in it. It would kill battery life in no time flat.  

I wonder if some of these people have heard this saying.  You spend Hours on a Desktop/Laptop, Minutes on your smartphone and Seconds on your Smartwatch.    

What features is the Apple watch missing for these people?  It does so much and more then I think any other Smart Watch!!!  It's impossible to make 100% of the people happy no matter what you do.  You could give a group of people a million dollars each and I bet 3% or more of them would still be bitching and complaining about something or another about that million.  

• Reply 77 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That worked out great for me!  I just got my used, hardly used, looked brand new, 42mm Space Grey Apple Watch from craigslist for a good price from one of these people in the 3% group.   Their loss, my gain.  

You could give each person in a group a million dollars and I'd bet 3% of them or more would still be bitching/complaining about it for one reason or another.

• Reply 78 of 101
    Where are the surveys about the original iPhone? I seem to remember the biggest issue was a lack of features, which I think is an [I]actual[/I] valid argument for not getting the original iPhone. No 3G, no cut/copy/paste, no 3rd-paryt app support, no HW keyboard…
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Seriously, could someone from the AI editorial staff explain what this article is and why it was posted? Because a 3% dissatisfaction rate seems insignificant for electronic devices and much less than the norm. I would guess that something like 10-20% is the norm because that’s about how many chronic complainers and malcontents inhabit tech forums. They are dissatisfied with everything. See ATV4 discussions.

Are we readers supposed to react in horror and start clamoring for Apple to do something, anything, to prevent the epic fail? 

It's the complainers that are generally the loud ones.  The ones out posting away how much such and such sucks.  The majority of people, the happy ones and just going about their day using the device.  Most generally don't go out of their way to say how much they like a device.  

You buy something on the Internet.  Do you post a Positive review when you like it?  Or do you go right away and post that Negative review on a product you don't like?  

When I check out the reviews of a product I'm looking at before buying.  I start right off when the 1 star reviews.  Then when I start reading them and they turn out to be DUMB THINGS.  Things like they expected something with it, which wasn't in the picture or the description, but assumed, and they didn't get it, and so 1 star!!!  Or they were just to dumb to follow direction of a product and so had issue that most others have zero problem with, 1 star!!!  Or any other number of dumb things.  Then I check out the 4-5 star reviews and the real story is made much more clear.  I end up buying the product and I'm happy.

• Reply 80 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Yeah, but my god, I wasted over 4 years of my life looking at the progress bar and file copy progress for 8 years, from 1992-2000, while using my macs and windows pc, I can live with an extra 15-30 seconds when the pressure gets applied for this little bad boy, to fire up my Things App.

Oh come on, I had to wait 15-30 minutes to load up a program on my Commodore Vic-20 with a tape drive.  Sometimes in the process, it would FAIL and I'd have to start over once again!!!