Study: Dissatisfied Apple Watch owners cite lack of features, but half will buy next-gen model

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidslaton View Post

I guess I'm in the 3% but I still wear mine, just not that useful.. I like having Live Photos as my watch face. Had always really bothered me the screen is not retina, it's embarrassingly pixelated. Just not worth the money in my opinion image

Do you even have a Apple Watch?  After that comment,  it doesn't sound like it.  I got mine a few days ago and the screen looks Amazing!!!  It's not pixelated.  Are you holding it under a magnifying glass?  The Apple Watches have a 326ppi.   So really the same as a iPhone.  I can't see the pixels on my iPhone. 

I'm sure you're one of those that want 500ppi or better.  Lots of pixels on a screen you can't possibly see, and slows downs a CPU/GPU to handle all them worthless pixels. 

• Reply 82 of 101
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

290 PPI

The screen is retina: 290 PPI (38mm) 303 PPI (42mm); so,  another uninformed comment. Come on, continue. Go on.

Nope!  it'as 326ppi for both!

• Reply 83 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I just got mine a few days ago, a 42mm Space Grey version.  USED, like new, but still,...  I actually like it more then I thought I would.  I haven't worn a watch in years.  Not since I got my first dumb phone.  I figured, the time is on that, why wear a watch!

The screen coming on when looking at the watch is quick and I don't have a issue with that.  The screen looks amazing.  If you want a screen that's always ON and long battery life, you have to have sacrifices and get a watch with a e-ink display like a Pebble.   Until something Magical happens with battery life, that's how things are.

I also think it's faster then I thought it would be with people saying it's so SSLLOOOW.  That's not true.  If it has to load content form the phone, that slow things down some, but come on, it's a WATCH.  You can't have a super fast processor in it. It would kill battery life in no time flat.  

I wonder if some of these people have heard this saying.  You spend Hours on a Desktop/Laptop, Minutes on your smartphone and Seconds on your Smartwatch.    

What features is the Apple watch missing for these people?  It does so much and more then I think any other Smart Watch!!!  It's impossible to make 100% of the people happy no matter what you do.  You could give a group of people a million dollars each and I bet 3% or more of them would still be bitching and complaining about something or another about that million.  

I didn't quite get what Ive and Cook used to refer to -- in the early days of the Watch -- as "Apple's most personal device yet."

Now I do, after months of use.

I am amazed by how simple and innocuous it is, and how much it has become a part of my life in a subtle, non-intrusive way. In terms of usage patterns, the ones I use frequently (other than telling time) are texts, ApplePay (amazing), Activity, Calendar, phone (often just to say, "hi, I'll call you back"), Weather, Music with my BT headphones + Workout (two or three times a week when I am at the health club), AppleTV remote (which is why I have not bought the new one yet), Timer, Stocks, and iPhone music remote. Siri works fabulously for me on the Watch compared to the iPhone. I do not use it much for Mail, Maps, Photos, 3rd party apps, or Keynote presentations.

Surprisingly, I have found the Watch face I like, and except to coordinate the color of the face with, say, the shirt I am wearing, I do not switch between faces. I have my brightness and text size set to the max, and bold text on. Yet the battery typically shows 30% - 40% at the end of the day.

The only thing that is still bothersome is Settings seems to take a while to come on. It's a problem I've noticed after the most recent software update.

• Reply 84 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    My only issue with the watch is latency. Everything is slow to launch. Even Siri is slow. I hope this isn't a hardware issue but if anything it got worse with watchOS 2 so my fear is nothing will improve until gen 2 and new hardware. :(
  • Reply 85 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Wow, it must be difficult being perfect *and* odor free, surrounded by such insignficance. A less self-righteous mind might see a company, any company, learning from what people don't like as opposed to the nodding heads of the majority. I thoughty you people (oh yes, I said "you people"!) liked innovation, not keeping things the same because "everybody likes it, why change it?"

Instead of “you people” I like the word “ilk” better in contexts like this.

• Reply 86 of 101
    lkrupp wrote: »

Instead of “you people” I like the word “ilk” better in contexts like this.

Oh, you people with your fancy "ilk"...
  • Reply 87 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

It's the complainers that are generally the loud ones.  The ones out posting away how much such and such sucks.  The majority of people, the happy ones and just going about their day using the device.  Most generally don't go out of their way to say how much they like a device.  

You buy something on the Internet.  Do you post a Positive review when you like it?  Or do you go right away and post that Negative review on a product you don't like?  

When I check out the reviews of a product I'm looking at before buying.  I start right off when the 1 star reviews.  Then when I start reading them and they turn out to be DUMB THINGS.  Things like they expected something with it, which wasn't in the picture or the description, but assumed, and they didn't get it, and so 1 star!!!  Or they were just to dumb to follow direction of a product and so had issue that most others have zero problem with, 1 star!!!  Or any other number of dumb things.  Then I check out the 4-5 star reviews and the real story is made much more clear.  I end up buying the product and I'm happy.

I have personally found in my intercourse with colleagues and friends that people pick up on the negatives and ignore the positives. If there’s a story critical of Apple or a negative review you overhear conversation about it or are asked about it. Hence all the crap that went on about Chinese labor issues. It sure did seem that Apple was singled out.

• Reply 88 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Like others here, I hadn't worn a watch for a very long time. I wasn't all that impressed with the design of The Apple Watch based on the original photos and even after trying it on at the Apple Store, but I always like Apple products so I gave it a try. I had an extra $800 so I went for the SS 42mm. I'm still not all that excited about the physical design but the features are ok. I wear it pretty much every day. It gets a lot of comments. I do use Apple Pay with it when in the states where I find quite convenient. My only complaints are that it is difficult to read the time in direct sunlight and the SS Milanese band gradually gets loose during the day. Also, the raise wrist to switch on the screen doesn't respond as reliably as it should in my opinion.

• Reply 89 of 101
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    So now we know that being a member of the Three Percenter Club is a sad, lonely, and frustrating place to be. So glad that someone decided to give these hidden sufferers their moment in the sun. How do they possibly get through their day? This is so far removed from concern to be simply insignificant noise. It's like the glass fully filled has experienced a bit of evaporation. We are sometimes accused of overreacting to first world problems but this makes the most trivial first world problem seem like an epic tragedy. Deeply unmoving.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

No. You didn't read it correctly. They didn't make a big deal about it.

People such as yourself are unable to read anything that has even the slightest resemblance to criticism of Apple or one of its products without reading something into it that just simply isn't there.

Since the vast majority of people are happy with the watch, they were curious (as I am sure other people are as well) what the ones that didn't like the watch found to be the biggest problems with the device. It is as simple as that.

-kpluck

I characterized it EXACTLY as it was presented. They focused only on the small minority and why those few didn't like the Watch, as though any reason they might give would have any statistical significance, which it would not. Without that, Apple cannot use that information to make the watch a better product or experience. Not as much as delving into the reasons the other 97% actually like the watch and how they use it. That data would be far more relevant to a designer, engineer, or marketer in terms of enhancing the experience. So you see, by giving that much focus to that small a segment of users, they have, defacto, made it a big deal, where it is not.

FYI,

Ben Bajarin is the original author of this research. He expressly indicated in the note that since the Apple Watch is a totally new platform, he believes more detailed analysis of even the 3% unsatisfied users is warranted. He suggested that no research was ever done at the origin of the PC, the phone, etc. (Think of this kind of survey of Apple ][ users in 1970s). What the "Internet" makes of that research is a significantly different case, however.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the participants in this survey--part of the 97%.

• Reply 91 of 101
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Where are the surveys about the original iPhone? I seem to remember the biggest issue was a lack of features, which I think is an actual valid argument for not getting the original iPhone. No 3G, no cut/copy/paste, no 3rd-paryt app support, no HW keyboard…

Steve Ballmer wasn't worried. For those same reasons.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I love mine.. ApplePay on watch is just as sweet as anything can get...
    Between a very cool time piece and a payment device its worth every penny.
    Add on top health, (calorie count, heart rate..)
    Messaging in several creative ways..
    Navigation.
    Taptic engine..

Its already awesome! (And i have not even tried a single 3rd party App yet. )

But ofcourse it can be better...and it will get better with the very iteration.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    it's too slow. why would i ever use Siri or third party apps on the Apple Watch? 90% of the time it's stuck in a loading animation.

sadly this is true for me as well. siri is too slow, apps are too slow (native and third-party)
  • Reply 94 of 101
    kpluck wrote: »

People such as yourself are unable to read anything that has even the slightest resemblance to criticism of Apple or one of its products without reading something into it that just simply isn't there.

Since the vast majority of people are happy with the watch, they were curious (as I am sure other people are as well) what the ones that didn't like the watch found to be the biggest problems with the device. It is as simple as that.

and considering 36% said because of battery life, which is a TOTAL NON-ISSUE, then we can discredit this survey as bunk. next.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Uninformed? I look at it every day and the screen sucks, it's retina from 3 feet away. I can't wait till they fix it and give the stupid watch a cellular radio.

nonsense. its 8" from my eyes and i can't see pixels. i dont wear glasses.

obviously it will have cell one day.
  • Reply 96 of 101
  • Reply 97 of 101
    I guess I'm in the 3% but I still wear mine, just not that useful.. I like having Live Photos as my watch face. Had always really bothered me the screen is not retina, it's embarrassingly pixelated. Just not worth the money in my opinion :(

sounds like yours was broken. did you get it repaired?
  • Reply 98 of 101
    The real problem the watch: the OS feels like WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS back in the day.

I bought one for my gf. She doesn't use it because it's to complicated to do simple things.

I will buy 2.0.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    why- said:
    Lack of features? Imo it has too many. My ideal smartwatch wouldn't have email or texting or phone calls or instagram or maps or anything like that. I think people need to stop making smartwatches mini smartphones
    Wow!  This is easily one of the dumbest comments I've ever read!  Why do you care that it has features you don't need or use?  Just pick the 5 you want and ignore the rest.  Nobody expects you to use all of the features that are there, but can you imagine trying to get any kind of consensus on what the top 5 features "should" be?

Perhaps they should create a "simpleton" mode in which a user can choose any 5 features and have the rest completely hidden?  Would that make you happy - or are you some kind of control freak that actually wants to limit and control how other people use the watch?  One of my top 5 apps is the remote control for Apple TV.  Is that one of the apps you object to?

But wait - don't let me put words in your mouth.  If there are "too many" features - how many should there be?  Which ones should they eliminate?  Now pick two or three of those features that you think should be cut and tell us why you don't think other people should be allowed to use those features if they want to.

Perhaps the device shouldn't have been called a watch.  Some people have very strong ideas as to what a watch is (and most are wrong).  Some people think that the device should be first and foremost - a watch - with a handful of smart features thrown in.  On the other end of the spectrum, there are those that think it should be the ultimate wrist-worn assistant - that also tells time.  What Apple has built is the latter and it baffles me as to how that could possibly offend anyone!  If what they want is a watch with a few smart features in it - they have plenty of choices from plenty of manufacturers.  To be upset that a product has too many capabilities - especially when most of those capabilities are optional - is beyond ridiculous.   The only reason I can think of for those that hold that viewpoint is that they don't want to learn or use all of those features AND they don't want someone else to have something better (or more useful) than what they have.  Otherwise, why not live and let live?

Too many features? What a really, really dumb thing to think.
  • Reply 100 of 101
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    kpluck wrote: »

and considering 36% said because of battery life, which is a TOTAL NON-ISSUE, then we can discredit this survey as bunk. next.
    How can you say that battery life is a total non-issue?  It was in fact an issue for those people.  I'm a very happy Apple Watch owner and my battery lasts a day and a half.  It's not an issue for me - because I'm more than willing to charge it daily.  The people in the survey were not - and there is nothing wrong with that!  Perhaps it was their first smart watch and they didn't realize it would have to be charged several times per week.  If they don't want to (or aren't able to) charge their device that often, then that's a valid reason for returning it.  They aren't stating that somebody else's smart watch is better - just that they don't want a watch that has to be charged "frequently".  This can feel looked at as good news for Apple.  It's not a complaint about design or functionality or really anything under the control of Apple.  These people just weren't ready for a smartphone of any kind.  Since Apple has already done all they can with the battery-life with today's technology, and 1% of owners don't like the watch because of battery-life, Apple can ignore that 1% because there is nothing they can do to make things better for those users.  They can move on and looms at the other reasons people were unsatisified and see if theres anything within their control that could improve things for those users.  Anybody who thinks Apple is sitting back saying 97.5% is good enough is an idiot.  Apple is constantly looking for ways to improve their devices and you can be sure that they were interested in the results of this survey.

Bottom line is that battery-life is not a total non-issue.  It's a very real, very valid issue for 1% of the people in the survey!