Apple approved Microsoft filming new holiday-themed ad outside iconic NYC Fifth Ave cube

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
Apple's most famous retail destination is the subject of a new, unifying ad from rival Microsoft, bringing employees from both companies together in the spirit of the holiday season -- and also bringing executives to sign off on the production behind the scenes.

Featuring a children's choir singing "Let There Be Peace on Earth," Microsoft filmed the spot outside of Apple's iconic glass cube on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The ad shows retail employees from Apple and Microsoft putting their differences aside and embracing in hugs.

The ad required cooperation from both parties, as Microsoft had to request permission from Apple to film the advertisement outside its storefront, according to AdAge. Apple officials apparently knew that Microsoft was planning to film an ad, but they did not know what the content of the 60-second TV spot would be.

Microsoft features its own store on Fifth Avenue, located between 53rd and 54th streets. It also makes an appearance in the ad.

Microsoft's holiday spot comes on the heels of Apple's own Christmas commercial, which stars singers Stevie Wonder and Andra Daye. In the Apple 2015 holiday ad, the pair perform Wonder's "Someday at Christmas."

Microsoft's commercial will air on television in a 60-second version, while a longer two-minute cut will be available online. The ad was developed by the Redmond, Wash., software giant's advertising partner m:united, of McCann.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Hey if you can't beat em' join em' huh? lol
  • Reply 2 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good god can I vomit now.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Clearly, Apple and MS view themselves as partners more than rivals these days.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    If Samsung employees show up trying to do this, may the Apple employees hurl their ample supply of traced-in Samsung phones at the Scamsung Choir.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Spreading Harmony & Viruses This Holiday Season
  • Reply 6 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I suspect the employees' personal "differences" were not truly that significant... does anyone really think them hugging each other carries some emotional weight?

Well, the ad's not for me, that's all.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    i think the general public will buy it, though prolly not so into the Microsoft/Apple history as geeks are. My grandma loves it and doesn't know a computer from a piano keyboard. Good PR. Funny to read snarks huffing and puffing about it, though.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    mike1 wrote: »

They're united against Google, honestly. Google and Amazon.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Clearly Samsung is now trying to figure out how to insult both Apple and Microsoft.

• Reply 10 of 31
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I thought it was a decent ad. Folks might not want to use Microsoft products, but there's no harm is spreading some holiday cheer, especially with everything going on these days.

Ultimately, these are technology companies and as much as I am a nerd, I can appreciate the fact that there's more to life than what brand phone I use.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    This is just plain wrong....whats next.. %u201CHuman sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!%u201D .
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Let's be clear, both companies need each other. MS Office products are on every Mac in a business environment Remember the "big brother" in the original "1984" commercial? That was IBM. there was a time when the only way Apple computers could get any credibility was by having Office ported to the Mac. Apple is loaded with Google products on every platform because there are people who wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPad if it couldn't run Goggle apps or YouTube.
    Apple mobile devices are loaded with hardware manufactured by Samsung.
    If you think these companies can prosper in a vacuum you're fooling yourself.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Gotta hand it to that agency. Great work!
    Maybe Phil Schiller is sitting in his office wondering why they didn't think of something like this, first.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Very True.

• Reply 14 of 31
    launfall wrote: »
    Let's be clear, both companies need each other. MS Office products are on every Mac in a business environment Remember the "big brother" in the original "1984" commercial? That was IBM. there was a time when the only way Apple computers could get any credibility was by having Office ported to the Mac. Apple is loaded with Google products on every platform because there are people who wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPad if it couldn't run Goggle apps or YouTube.
    Apple mobile devices are loaded with hardware manufactured by Samsung.
    If you think these companies can prosper in a vacuum you're fooling yourself.

Google products loaded on Apple devices? Am I missing something? The only thing preloaded is the default search engine from Google in Safari which I promptly change.

People may load Google maps, Chrome, YouTube, etc. But they aren't preloaded.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Surely the hundreds of people witnessing this would have posted to social media... and then tech blogs would have picked it up.

This happened two weeks ago... how come we're just hearing about it now?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foad View Post

I thought it was a decent ad. Folks might not want to use Microsoft products, but there's no harm is spreading some holiday cheer, especially with everything going on these days.

Ultimately, these are technology companies and as much as I am a nerd, I can appreciate the fact that there's more to life than what brand phone I use.

I thought it was a beautiful ad, a nice and milder take of Christmas in the Trenches, the 1914 Christmas Truce between the British and German lines on the Western Front during the Great War. It won't change my mind about Microsoft nor make me want to buy any of their products, just as the surprising amount of cynicism here on this topic won't dissuade me from coming here again. I bought an Apple II in 1981 and a Mac in 84, I’m certainly not going to change religion now for just a song.

101 years ago, 2 Christian nations at war took a few hour break of killing each other to celebrate a common thread and tradition. On a much lighter note, today 2 tech companies took a few minute break of competing against each other to celebrate a common trait and market. As much as I despised Microsoft in the past for all their wrongdoings, those feelings are now aimed at the new evildoers described here by others, namely Google, Samsung & Amazon. Yet however much I still dislike Microsoft, I applaud them for showing up on the enemy’s ground no less, to bring some Christmas cheer in such a warm and touching manner. I can only hope that some of that cheer will eventually find its way in the hearts of some of the jeering crowd here as well as the in general public at large.

• Reply 18 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I see the Microsoft fanboys are all wetting themselves because there's a rumor out there that a Surface phone is coming. Ok I have a question: what is so exciting about this? What could Microsoft possibly do that would be so jaw dropping that people would leave iOS or Android ecosystem for this phone? Because this phone will be made out of magnesium? Big deal. There have been flagship metal phones on the market for years. A really great camera? Big deal. All flagship phones have great cameras. Top of the line specs? What flagship phone doesn't have top specs these days? I just don't see what Microsoft could do that would make people magically want a Windows phone.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I can buy that.

Google wants to sell your information for profit.

Amazon wants to become a Monopoly and bankrupt every single small business on the planet.

Those two are much more evil than Microsoft ever was

Hey, I've moved on and I actually like the face and corporate culture Nadella's trying to put on Bill's baby. I also agree that Apple's real competition is from Google, Amazon, Samsung and companies rising in China at the moment, and that MS and AAPL are complementing each other in many ways at the moment, but I wouldn't go that far about how less "evil Microsoft ever was"....

...MS was a truly underhanded and vicious company back in the day.  Given breath by IBM, they stabbed them in the back with Windows when they were ostensibly helping get OS/2 off the ground, sending Big Blue into an extended downward spiral from which it's never truly recovered (and while clinging to Apple's coattails at this point is still rapidly downsizing and leaving businesses behind to the point it's becoming a fading shadow.  Check out recent "I, Cringley" blog posts for details of how far Armonk has fallen and continues to fall).

And the way they treated their "co-opetition" like Word Perfect, Lotus et al. when they were supposedly giving others the same access to their OS API's that their own app developers had was shamefully and obviously a sham.  With the history of the PC era littered with defunct companies that MS simply took out.  (Note: Apple doesn't wholly get a pass here.  The term "Sherlocked" is still around for a reason, tho' there's no true comparison in scope.)

I remember reading an article about how, after promising WordPerfect (still a superior product, but functionally irrelevant ) that they would continue to support DOS beyond version 6, while moving to make Windows more foundational, after WP began a desperation move to Windows, that the slogan in the Windows group at Redmond was "the coding's not done until WordPerfect won't run."

So, yeah, bygones be bygones and beyond "perestroika" and all, but let's don't whitewash the actual details of the past.....

• Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Apple and Microsoft are probably close to "frenemies".  Competitors in some lines and (tablets and phones which Apple dominates, and desktop that Microsoft still dominates) and partners in others (Office for iOS/OS X).  (Windows and Office are two of the major pillars of Microsoft).  Christmas is one of the times where companies have to step back from the day to day competition and behave/celebrate in a way appropriate for the season.  Both companies want to be seen in that light while continuing to "advertise" their brands.  I have friends that work at Microsoft and others that work at Apple (some that are ex-Microsoft and current Apple employees) -- and all enjoy their jobs at those companies and believe they have quality products -- while continuing to be friends outside of work.   Personally, I think the ad is both appropriate for the season and well done.