Apple approved Microsoft filming new holiday-themed ad outside iconic NYC Fifth Ave cube

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    rogifan wrote: »
    So I see the Microsoft fanboys are all wetting themselves because there's a rumor out there that a Surface phone is coming. Ok I have a question: what is so exciting about this? What could Microsoft possibly do that would be so jaw dropping that people would leave iOS or Android ecosystem for this phone? Because this phone will be made out of magnesium? Big deal. There have been flagship metal phones on the market for years. A really great camera? Big deal. All flagship phones have great cameras. Top of the line specs? What flagship phone doesn't have top specs these days? I just don't see what Microsoft could do that would make people magically want a Windows phone.

A Surface Phone won't save the Windows Phone platform. Period. End of story.

And Microsoft knows this.

So Microsoft is doing the only thing they can do... putting their software on every other platform. And they've been doing that for a while. You can get Office on a billion Windows machines, obviously, but you can also get Office on 100 million Macs and 700 million iOS devices.

Microsoft has always been about putting software where their customers are. And a significant amount of them are now using Apple products.

It's a number that is too large to ignore.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This is creepy. i remember the mock iPhone funeral.

• Reply 23 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Luckily MS employees have enough down time to visit Apple, sing a song and walk back.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    launfall wrote: »
    Let's be clear, both companies need each other. MS Office products are on every Mac in a business environment Remember the "big brother" in the original "1984" commercial? That was IBM. there was a time when the only way Apple computers could get any credibility was by having Office ported to the Mac. Apple is loaded with Google products on every platform because there are people who wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPad if it couldn't run Goggle apps or YouTube.
    Apple mobile devices are loaded with hardware manufactured by Samsung.
    If you think these companies can prosper in a vacuum you're fooling yourself.

Apple products aren't "loaded" with Giggle spyware. You must be referring to the times when Apple partnered with Giggle on the original iPhone and then ditched them ASAP after being backstabbed by Giggle.

Yeah you can manually download these apps now but I don't have a single Giggle app on my phone and neither do millions of others.

Also it would be hard to find a person who bought an Apple product to run Goggle apps.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Why do I envision a 'Miracle on 34th Street' type scene with Santa Claus in a Microsoft store sending a customer to the Apple store?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    rogifan wrote: »
    So I see the Microsoft fanboys are all wetting themselves because there's a rumor out there that a Surface phone is coming. Ok I have a question: what is so exciting about this? What could Microsoft possibly do that would be so jaw dropping that people would leave iOS or Android ecosystem for this phone? Because this phone will be made out of magnesium? Big deal. There have been flagship metal phones on the market for years. A really great camera? Big deal. All flagship phones have great cameras. Top of the line specs? What flagship phone doesn't have top specs these days? I just don't see what Microsoft could do that would make people magically want a Windows phone.

It will have the Surface branding. If it fails, Microsoft's Hail Mary play is to rename it Xbox Phone.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a bunch of naive and unrealistic crap. 

Let there be peace on earth? How foolish. What the world needs is war, as certain conflicts can only be solved by war. There will be no peace and it is just dumb to wish for it.

And MS should have filmed the ad in front of their own store and not in front of Apple's store. The same MS that held a mock funeral for the iPhone wants to pretend that everything is just groovy today? :no:

• Reply 28 of 31
    sog35 wrote: »
    First Microsoft rides the iPad coat tails to release Surface.
    Now they try to make nice with the flagship Apple store to gain rep.

Not buying it.

Dumbest comment yet... How is Microsoft riding the iPads coat tails??? By creating a hybrid tablet with a 1st part detachable keyboard and a actual functioning stylus that runs a OS that run full programs and not just Apps???

Hmm sounds like you need to rethink who is riding who's coat tails...

FYI the commercial wasn't an ad for the Surface, just Microsoft in general...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    omgomg1 wrote: »
    Dumbest comment yet... How is Microsoft riding the iPads coat tails??? By creating a hybrid tablet with a 1st part detachable keyboard and a actual functioning stylus that runs a OS that run full programs and not just Apps???

Hmm sounds like you need to rethink who is riding who's coat tails...

Microsoft has been selling the idea of a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop with stylus control in place of a mouse since the days of Windows 3.11. So you're right in saying that all that hybrid laptop and pen input is something they pioneered in the 1990s. What they did, post iPad, was add capacitive multitouch and a finger-friendly UI to Windows, and a curated Windows Store. Then they sold their own brand of hardware. In this sense, [@]sog35[/@] is correct: Microsoft did follow the iPad.
  • Reply 30 of 31

It's looks just like an Apple Store, just empty. Thats why you probably didn't notice it, you though it was abandoned space.