As 'iPhone 6c' rumors heat up, 20% of US consumers say they prefer 4-inch smartphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    mr o said:

I invite you to watch Apple's latest ads. It is more about you asking a question to Siri than swiping your jumbo screen:

https://youtu.be/GbL39Vald9E

I wonder if Apple would make the iPhone even smaller, something in between 3.5 inch and 4 inch.

Honestly I preferred the 3.5" size over the 4" (which felt like a compromise). An ideal iPhone lineup to me would be 3.5", 4.7", 5.5"
  • Reply 22 of 59
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    sog35 said:

bobschlob said:

freerange said:

Once people actually spend a little time with a larger phone, like the 6s, this number will drop from 20% to 2! There is no going back!

It's all anecdotal, isn't it? But I'm reading quite a few comments around the interweb from people saying they can't wait to ditch their 6 form phones to get back to the smaller size. And then an even larger number saying "Hooray, finally I will be able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 - 5 etc".
    (I personally am in that second category)
    I found that most who say they prefer 4 inch phones on forums are actually trolls (not saying you are).

I check those people's post history and most of them are chronic Apple concerned trolls.

No. I really don't see that. I check, because they are people who seem to share my preference on the matter.
    The trolls (and I remember them well) were the people ragging on Apple for not having a larger phone. (the phones we Apple faithful used to call the 'phablets') (Remember those days?)
    I called them "clown phones".
    Then the iPhone 6 came out. It's a beautiful phone (obviously). But it's just uncomfortable for the way "I" use my phone. There are a lot of people who feel like me. (but certainly not the majority; and that's why Apple came out with super sized phone in the end)
  • Reply 23 of 59
    What I would really love is if they just made the iPhone 5 style body just a tiny bit wider (I would have no problem with that), they could actually squeeze, maybe, up to a 4.5" diag. screen in there.

Heaven...
  • Reply 24 of 59
    wiggin said:

sog35 said:

bobschlob said:

freerange said:

Once people actually spend a little time with a larger phone, like the 6s, this number will drop from 20% to 2! There is no going back!

It's all anecdotal, isn't it? But I'm reading quite a few comments around the interweb from people saying they can't wait to ditch their 6 form phones to get back to the smaller size. And then an even larger number saying "Hooray, finally I will be able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 - 5 etc".
    (I personally am in that second category)
    I found that most who say they prefer 4 inch phones on forums are actually trolls (not saying you are).

I check those people's post history and most of them are chronic Apple concerned trolls.

sog35 said:

smaceslin said:

Still loving my "old" 5S. The size is just right. Do I lust after the larger format? Sometimes, but then I look at my phone and think: No. No reason to upgrade -- it's perfect.

But have you ever used a bigger phone for an extended period of time?

Its pretty easy to say you don't miss a big phone if you never used one for at least a week.

I found that the 6+ with an AppleWatch is the perfect combo for me
    To each his/her own. I have a 6s. The only reason I upgraded from my 5s was for performance (which is in part a victim of iOS bloat). If there was 6s class performance in a 5s form factor that's what I would have gotten. Of course, I also have an iPad mini so if I need a bigger screen for anything I use that.

If I could only have a single device, the 6s would be the best choice. But many people have multiple devices. In that case, I'd prefer that the one device I will always have on me, my phone, be as portable as possible. I participate in many activities where carrying a 6+ would be completely absurd.
    What the…? No "Thumbs up thingy"?
    Next best thing? <3
  • Reply 25 of 59
    I own a 5. My wife love her huge 6+. I don't. I find the 5 to be a perfect size.

I want a 4-inch size and don't care how thick it is.
    I want all the latest features/functionality.
    Better camera and Apple Pay are at the top of my wish list.

Of course, I am abnormal. I use just 3 apps (Safari, Yelp and Nocs) 90% of the time.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I hear what some say that moving up from 4" to 4.7" or 5.5" needs a week or two to get used to. That may be the case for some but it will not be for others. I have looked at the 4.7 " iPhone 6 many times (the last time just this week). I just find its shape unacceptable on two counts: size of phone (too big for my one handed use) and depth (too thin). Although the 6 and 6S have both been great successes, I read there are more 4" and 3.5" iPhones than 4.7" and 5.5". This says to me that many prefer the 4". If the new 4" phone comes out early next year (mid April?) my iPhone 5 will be 3 years old. It is already showing signs of coming to the end of its life (loss of power problems that the Apple Genius have been able to resolve) so with the performance and hardware gains the new iPhone will offer I predict that a new 4" will be popular.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'm enjoying the size of the 6s for things I do in landscape. But in portrait, typing and hitting menu and back buttons, this size sucks for ergonomics. I spend most of my time in portrait orientation.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    freerange said:

I've had a 6S since release, and have spent more than a little time with it. There are obvious advantages to a larger screen, and to the increased power of the A9 over the A7. But it feels clumsy in my hand and pocket, and if Apple made a A9 4" device or a 4.3" I'd go back like a shot. And no, I don't have small hands.

I appreciate that others, the majority, do prefer the larger formats, fair enough. But it appears from this thread there are more than a few who don't.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It would basically be an iPod Touch with A9, Touch ID + 4G. And as usual those
    ( insert any negative word here, as even the Oxford Dictionary fail to find words to describe ) on Wall Street are not happy and see it will be add any value to Apple.

On the estimate of 200M iPhone sold per year, 30% are 5.5", 60% are 4.7" and Roughly 10% are 4". That is 20M Apple users. This is no small number in Apple Ecosystem.

And Apple knows how many users are waiting for a new 4" to upgrade.

I think it would be a $499 devices rather then a $399 devices as many article around the web suggested. A9 is one of the best if not the best Mobile SoC on the market now, even Apple reuse the cheaper 1st Gen Touch ID. From a cost standpoint this could also mean ( finally ) an Intel Baseband Modem. Apple will need a small volume product to test these baseband.

I am also thinking the A9 inside this iPhone may be TSMC only and using the new 16nm FFC. The 16nm FFC is a cheaper, and more power efficient evolution of 16nm FF+. Think of it as a 2nd Gen 16nm. It would allow the A9 to be even more power efficient, and Apple likely to lower the clock to save even more power while increasing the yield of new node.

So it will be a custom and in many ways, a new iPhone. Not just a simply, cheaper component reuse iPhone.

P.S - There is news that Apple will have an updated Apple TV next year, and my guess if both rumors are true they will both use the same updated A9 along with H.265 4K 10Bit Decode.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    The survey said 20% prefer a 4" iPhone. Did not say they wanted a "budget" model! I sure don't want a dumb down technology 4" iPhone. Why can't Apple make a flagship 4" model? Is Apple stupid? Up till two years ago; it was solely 4"! Now it a budget phone! LOL!
  • Reply 31 of 59
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    My wife has an iPhone 5, and I still have her old 4s lying around acting as an iPod. Compared to my iPhone 6 (which I highly prefer the size of), I find her 5 tolerable size wise, but looking at the 4s, it feels positively tiny, and I don't know how we ever made do with it. To each his own, I guess.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    When I first got my 6+ last year then I tried my wife's 5s I wondered how in the world I ever used that phone. It felt like a toy and any 4 inch screen still feels WAY too small since I adjusted to the 5.5 inch screen.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Lol...believe this rumor? You'll be disappointed. The bottom tier phone gets better chip than mid tier 6/6+? Won't happen. Remember this rumor is about early release of the 4" by Valentine.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bobschlob said:

What I would really love is if they just made the iPhone 5 style body just a tiny bit wider (I would have no problem with that), they could actually squeeze, maybe, up to a 4.5" diag. screen in there.

Or how about a tiny bit shorter? That would have the same effect. The problem I have with my 5S is how tall it is. If it were a tiny bit shorter, that would be perfect for me. But they will either have to make an asymmetrical top & bottom bezel, which seems unlikely, or do away with the Home button. So I'm not holding my breath this is the generation that will get that. Maybe the 8 though. In the meantime, I'll take a 5S form factor.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Saying that people who say they like phones with a 4 inch display are trolls is the most idiotic thing I've read all day. Different tastes exist and GASP you are not the center of the world.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    bdj1bdj1 Posts: 13member
    I had the iphone 5.  Bought the iphone 6s. To big.  I want the smaller one. I want to be able to use my phone with one hand, not have a ipad mini in my hand as a phone.

I want a high end 4 inch.  Top camera.  It doesn't have to be skinner than a slice of ham.  I want to use it with one hand.  6/6s is too big.

Apple doesn't care.  I also want to use siri without it blacking out the entire screen.  I also want to see more apps than the 9 i'm limited to see now. I could see 20 on my ipad, now only 9.  Ipad super big...yeah, huge screen still limited to 9. wtf.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I was absolutely convinced that the 6-series would be too big.  It's why I held onto my 5S an extra year, when normally I have been upgrading with each new model.  But since I've had my 6S, I barely even notice that it's larger anymore.

That being said, I'm not sure that I wouldn't still prefer a 4" model.  Though I've sort of gotten used to this one now.

I dunno.  I guess we'll see. :)

-- A.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,617member
    freerange said:
    I've been using the 6s since it came out, and I'm still missing my 5s' format. The bigger screen is awesome, and it's a much better phone, but the thing is just a tad too big.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    While some of you argue about size, I think you should know, your use case & what works best for you is not everyone’s. And be thankful you have the choice of size within the iOS ecosystem. Funny thing is you can thank Android for much of this by forcing Apple’s hand. For me the 5s is a great size for using wrist mounted — if I was taller & bigger, maybe the 6 or 6Plus would work. But on the flip side: if you don’t need or want a smartphone and/or can’t afford the minimum monthlies, hell, get a flip phone—some people have bills less than my data plan alone. Like I always say: Options are a good thing :) Thx.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Curious, why this upcoming iphone 5/5S replacement is not called iPhone 6M ( M for Mini) or 6L ( L for light version if bigger siblings) but apparently named iphone 6C ( C for Compact or ?), referring previous unpopular iphone 5C ?
    edited December 2015 tburns09