Apple adds shuffle option for custom Apple Music playlists on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Apple recently rectified a niggling oversight in its somewhat slipshod Apple Music app for tvOS, adding a shuffle option for created playlists that saves users the hassle of executing a cumbersome workaround involving playlist sharing.

As noted by AppleInsider reader Greg, the new shuffle option was activated in a quiet update sometime over the past two days and appears at the top of all user-created playlists. Previously, owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV were able to access, browse through and play back tunes from playlists created in Music on iOS and Mac, but shuffle was for some reason unavailable.

The issue did not go unnoticed, however. Shortly after Apple's latest set-top streamer shipped out to customers in October, longtime iTunes users expecting to see the random playback feature took to Apple's Support Communities forum to discuss the problem.

Forum members quickly discovered the quirk was specific to custom playlists, as they were able to shuffle track groupings in the My Music, New, and For You sections. Some user found success with a workaround that involved sharing a target playlist from iOS or Mac, either with others or themselves. Shared playlists are tagged as such across a user's iTunes account, meaning metadata is attached to a target playlist, pushed to the cloud and synced back down to other devices, including Apple TV. Unlike custom playlists, those marked as shared had the shuffle option hidden in the "More" contextual pop-up menu.

Shared playlist in Music for tvOS on Apple TV.

Apple's tvOS is still very much a work in progress and the company is constantly refining its first-party app bundle with compatibility and usability enhancements. Aside from minor issues like lack of playlist shuffling, Apple has promised to tackle bigger problems like bringing Siri voice control to the Music tvOS app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So how do minor updates work on Apple TV? Has Apple ever added a button in this manner on the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Apple's tvOS is still very much a work in progress

This has to be the understatement of the year, right here.

Interesting that Apple hasn't made a peep about fixing the ATV4 app login issues, in spite of the fact that both Facebook and Twitter have offered solutions (with their respective platform lock in).
  • Reply 3 of 20
    never been a fan of the new apple music platform.....I use my Amazon App to listen to MY music through my iPhone6+. Apple ruined a great thing when they updated their music.....so no thank you Apple.....when it comes to Apple Music.......
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    So how do minor updates work on Apple TV? Has Apple ever added a button in this manner on the Mac?
    I imagine it’s like the iOS app store. Apple Music is an app and apps get updated in the background on iOS devices (unless the user disables autoupdate). Even if the ATV4 is sleeping or unplugged the update can be pushed upon waking. They are not updating tvOS here.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

never been a fan of the new apple music platform.....I use my Amazon App to listen to MY music through my iPhone6+. Apple ruined a great thing when they updated their music.....so no thank you Apple.....when it comes to Apple Music.......

Funny, I use Apple Music to play MY music every day. I don’t know what your problem is. And I can explore new music at my convenience whenever I want. Apple Music is an amazing service.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ireland said:
    Same as on previous versions, main OS is an OTA update, which you can set to be automatic and forgot about.

MInor updates - refinements to store, categories, new apps, interface, are all pushed as ready, think of each page as a streamed web app, updating whenever Apple send through changes.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    john.b said:
    Apple's tvOS is still very much a work in progress
    This has to be the understatement of the year, right here. Interesting that Apple hasn't made a peep about fixing the ATV4 app login issues, in spite of the fact that both Facebook and Twitter have offered solutions (with their respective platform lock in).
    What app log in issues? You log in and forget about it, fiddly - the same as on my Xbox - but only once for each app and all worked fine.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:

Funny, I use Apple Music to play MY music every day. I don’t know what your problem is. And I can explore new music at my convenience whenever I want. Apple Music is an amazing service.
    Same here.  I love being able to use Siri to quickly exit where it was, e.g. Netflix from last night, go to Music and My Music and start playing my playlist of choice, all verbally.

I also really appreciate the Apple TV4 remote controls my TV's on /off and my 5 channel Sound Bar volume and on/off as well as the Apple TV itself.  One remote for everything!  At last!
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 9 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

nelmat said:
    razormaid said:
    No pinch and zoom or "turn device sideways for larger text view" on comments forum?

(Sorry, I brought this topic up in the "wrap up for the week" article, but I thought if people like me don't need to read it because we read all the original topics posted during the week, this topic won't be seen either).

Pinch and zoom gone in the forum??  There.. That's my topic. Skip over this is this is NOT an issue for you and the n

Joseph

PS.  What happened to the ablity to make corrections to what you post??  Sometime Siri goes heywire and spits out stuff that I didn't say and because the entry window was sooooooo small, I couldnt catch it until it posted where THEN in could "pinch and zoom" it larger, see the error, then click the pencil icon to correct it.  Does anyone know how or where to go to make spelling or "Siri created" corrections?
    You can edit posts no issue (just editing the post to say, it's the cog icon top right of the post) when I turn my iPad, the text is larger. Pinch and zoom works fine. Siri doesn't create anything, if auto correct annoys you, simply turn it off in your keyboard settings.
    I would add, many folks overlook the ability in iOS to increase the overall font size in the settings (same as brightness I seem to recall).  I'm not sure it works in every app but it does in most.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    *looks around* everything's different. 

*runs away*
  • Reply 11 of 20

nelmat said:
    razormaid said:
    No pinch and zoom or "turn device sideways for larger text view" on comments forum?

(Sorry, I brought this topic up in the "wrap up for the week" article, but I thought if people like me don't need to read it because we read all the original topics posted during the week, this topic won't be seen either).

Pinch and zoom gone in the forum??  There.. That's my topic. Skip over this is this is NOT an issue for you and the n

Joseph

PS.  What happened to the ablity to make corrections to what you post??  Sometime Siri goes heywire and spits out stuff that I didn't say and because the entry window was sooooooo small, I couldnt catch it until it posted where THEN in could "pinch and zoom" it larger, see the error, then click the pencil icon to correct it.  Does anyone know how or where to go to make spelling or "Siri created" corrections?
    You can edit posts no issue (just editing the post to say, it's the cog icon top right of the post) when I turn my iPad, the text is larger. Pinch and zoom works fine. Siri doesn't create anything, if auto correct annoys you, simply turn it off in your keyboard settings.
    I would add, many folks overlook the ability in iOS to increase the overall font size in the settings (same as brightness I seem to recall).  I'm not sure it works in every app but it does in most.
    Thanks. Actually I tried to remove my comments completely as I appear to be in the .0001 percentile as far as this topic oh "hard to read". The moderator moved my comments to the appropriate forum location - understandable - I would have done that myself in the first place but wasn't sure where to post it. Obviously I'm just an occasional user not a professional forum guy. Lol 

When I was advised it was moved I actually asked them to just delete my comments completely. If no one but me feels this is an issue then I should take my own advise and just get news elsewhere. The owners have obviously put a lot of time, effort and consideration into these changes and they don't need my comments or opinions murking up the water, so to speak. 

Im only writing you here because I'm not getting respondses forwarding to my email where I could have written you privately. But I did want to be polite and respond to you. Thank you for taking the time to write/comment to me. GRIN 
    joseph
  • Reply 12 of 20
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I just hate it when something changes and reminds me how reluctantly I adapt anymore...
    That said, I'd like to reiterate the suggestion that ATV4 be updated to allow storage of more than apps and games directly on the device...anyone else?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    boredumb said:
    That said, I'd like to reiterate the suggestion that ATV4 be updated to allow storage of more than apps and games directly on the device...anyone else?

There’s just not enough space, nor is there sense in offering it just to make us pay for it.

Since Apple already lets us put our iTunes Libraries on external hard drives and point iTunes to them, they need to let us put our iTunes Libraries on external hard drives, plug them directly into our AirPort devices, and point our Apple TVs to them.

That’s what I’d love. No need for a computer to be on and iTunes open. 
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I know this is a little off-topic, but I would truly love to know if Apple still plans to ever update the 3rd gen Apple TV or they just completely abandoned it at this point. I understand it's not going to get tvOS and I don't need that, I also understand they want to push people to buy ATV4 instead of ATV3, but what is completely beyond me is why they don't at least introduce Apple Music to ATV3 (isn't the existing user base a good enough reason for that?) and why it's still not possible to access the full iCloud Photos instead of just being able to view the useless and dying PhotoStream. I know I'm not going to buy ATV4 only to get those features (although I'm not even sure if iCloud Photos is actually available through ATV4).
  • Reply 15 of 20
    SuperGarcia12SuperGarcia12 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Got access to US channels on my Apple TV outside US thanks to these steps http://bit.ly/1OdtzUC
  • Reply 16 of 20
    boredumb said:

There’s just not enough space, nor is there sense in offering it just to make us pay for it.

Since Apple already lets us put our iTunes Libraries on external hard drives and point iTunes to them, they need to let us put our iTunes Libraries on external hard drives, plug them directly into our AirPort devices, and point our Apple TVs to them.

There's plenty of space on either a 32GB or 64GB drive - a lot like an iPad - to store photo collections or selected music, for example, thereby avoiding the vagaries of streaming solutions when needed.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    boredumb said:
    There’s plenty of space on either a 32GB or 64GB drive - a lot like an iPad - to store photo collections…

Oh, okay; sure. I was thinking more about video content. If a 1080p film is ~4GB, (assume ~2GB for H.265), that’s just not very many of them.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I like my ATV4, but the "work in progress" seems clear. It seems there are many things it CAN, but just doesn't. Example: the screen savers are pretty, but convey no information. They could be customizable via an app or similar. Put weather, local traffic, maybe a news ticker on it? 

And yeah, AI's revamp is also apparently very much of a work in progress. Meh.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Possible to also be able to play ALL photos in a slideshow before repeating ones that were seen earlier after about the first 25.  Added 250 personal photos to Photos and use them for slideshow.  It has never played all 250 photos as arranged in Photos.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    boredumb said:
    There’s plenty of space on either a 32GB or 64GB drive - a lot like an iPad - to store photo collections…
    Oh, okay; sure. I was thinking more about video content. If a 1080p film is ~4GB, (assume ~2GB for H.265), that’s just not very many of them.
    No, not a video solution, although...
    If you were having intermittent streaming issues, either cloud or isp, and knew you were going to watch a particular movie that night, perhaps with friends, an earlier d/l might obviate any concerns...and avoid embarrassing make-up games of Twister, etc.
    edited December 2015