Samsung agrees to pay Apple $548M in patent row

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
After years of trials, retrials and appeals galore, Samsung on Thursday said it has agreed to pay Apple $548 million for infringing on the Cupertino, Calif., company's patents.

In a jointly filed case management statement submitted to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Samsung said it "has made arrangements" with Apple to complete a damages payment totaling $548,176,477. Payment will take place ten days after Apple sends an invoice, which translates to Dec. 14 if the document is delivered by Dec. 4 local Korea time.

As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, who first spotted the filing, Samsung's actions prior to Thursday's statement suggested the company would move forward with a Supreme Court appeal related to the first Apple v. Samsung judgment.

While it plans to pay up, Samsung is reserving the right to reimbursement if judgment is reversed, modified, vacated or otherwise changed in its favor. This includes, the company contends, results of any USPTO Patent Trial and Appeal Board actions and Supreme Court petitions. The validity of Apple's '915 patent for pinch-to-zoom functionality is currently under scrutiny by the PTAB, while Samsung in August voiced intent to argue design patent claim and construction in front of the Supreme Court.

For its part, Apple disputes Samsung's claim to reimbursement rights.

Despite appearances, the Apple v. Samsung is far from over. In September, both parties agreed to attended a settlement conference with Magistrate Judge Joseph Spero, a meeting that took place on Nov. 2. But as the document reads, "That process is complete and did not result in settlement."

Thursday's announced payout is tied to Apple's first California patent infringement suit against Samsung, which ultimately found the Korean company on the hook for $1.08 billion in damages. A subsequent partial retrial and successful CAFC appeal eroded that initial amount to $548 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    How is this still going on? how did they not copy? pay the fine already, before you have another lacklustre year and cannot pay.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 2 of 34
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    If Samsung can so obviously infringe Apple's patents, and then drag it out in the courts for this long, then our patent and legal systems aren't working. We need a better system.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    How did Samsung not get hit for interest in holding off paying for several years?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    About time, scumbags.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    am8449 said:

If Samsung can so obviously infringe Apple's patents, and then drag it out in the courts for this long, then our patent and legal systems aren't working. We need a better system.

Ha, you think?

• Reply 6 of 34
    am8449 said:

Every time someone thinks they can "improve" something that is temporarily inconvenient, they end up making it 100x worse.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 7 of 34

How did Samsung not get hit for interest in holding off paying for several years?

I am certainly not an expert but my honest question is at what point in time do you start the interest clock and on what amount?

Since the amount was reduced from $1.08 billion at the first judgement to $548 million after the retrial, it seems difficult to figure the amount of interest since the case was (still is?) still bouncing around the court system and patent office.

Also maybe someone can help me out with this:

Samsung is asking for money back if the patents they were found guilty of infringing are found to be invalid in the future.

Surely there must be a statute of limitations for Samsung to seek getting any money back from Apple after payment of the $548 million in the event that the patents in the judgement are found invalid in the future.

Is that statute 6 years?

• Reply 8 of 34
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This company is such a scumbag POS run by a bunch of immoral morons! the sum isn't nearly enough yet they still want to fight it even after paying up.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    My guess would be that, shortly after Samsung makes the payment to Apple, their pursuit of an appeal or invalidation of Apple's patents will go away. They are merely saving face with their request to get the money back should those initiatives succeed. Typical for Asian culture.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    As D'677 "is not entitled to benefit of the filing date" means that the patent is not effective January 2007 but from November 2008.

Therefore for Samsung if an appeal is successful there will be no monies owed. The ironic twist is that LG and Samsung have patents prior to November 2008 and may be in a position to sue Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 34

My guess would be that, shortly after Samsung makes the payment to Apple, their pursuit of an appeal or invalidation of Apple's patents will go away. They are merely saving face with their request to get the money back should those initiatives succeed. Typical for Asian culture.

Your post is wrong on so many levels. If they pay the money they will be more inclined to vigorously pursue the invalidation of patent D'677. Has nothing to do with "saving face" Typical Asian culture? I think not paying for something you may not owe is a "typical business culture"
  • Reply 12 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What a scumbag company.

This Korean counterfeit company needs to be exposed.

I'm gonna make it my duty to tell everyone that they're just a knockoff brand. People tend to think they're legit for some reason and yet being found on infringing patents in every segment they dabble in.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

It has never been even close to final until now, so no reason nor requirement that Sammy should pay. Until just a month ago no court had even ordered it.

• Reply 14 of 34
    And there still trying to reserve the right to get there money back in the future what a bunch of carpet baggers. They have to be the most dishonest corporation on the planet
  • Reply 15 of 34
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    interesting.. and that happened after Apple decided to have TMSC manufacture all the chips... coincidence?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Pay up sucker!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    am8449 said:
    A public announcement saying "We admit we are copying scum bags" should have also been required. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    We don't need more of your racist bullshit on the forum.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    hmm said:
    We don't need more of your racist ******** on the forum.
    How is that "racist"? You are aware of the importance of "saving face"? That is not a racial insult, it's a social reality.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    hmm said:
    We don't need more of your racist ******** on the forum.
    How is that "racist"? You are aware of the importance of "saving face"? That is not a racial insult, it's a social reality.
    Generalizations to a population of well over a billion people really annoy me, and they aren't accurate. It effectively places Singapore, Kazakhzstan, and China under the same label. I might have said cultural bias if he wasn't quite so general. It's a cheap misguided way to look down on others.