As 'iPhone 6c' rumors heat up, 20% of US consumers say they prefer 4-inch smartphones

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I could do everything comfortably on an iPhone 5. There was nothing wrong with its size; neither too small nor too large. I'd say it's just about ideal.

However, using an iPhone 6, I can't go back to a smaller phone. 

Interesting how this works, isn't it?
  • Reply 42 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    freerange said:
    Once people actually spend a little time with a larger phone, like the 6s, this number will drop from 20% to 2! There is no going back!
    You realize that 21% surveyed wanted a different size than the three currently offered. So that means they're already using a bigger or smaller iPhone than what's currently offered, which implies many have already spent a "little time" with the larger iPhone. Unless you think 41% of all users surveyed are currently using a 4" phone or smaller? Indeed, from that survey we don't even know if those respondents are even presently using the phone screen size they prefer -- all 20% who prefer a 4" phone could be using 6 series phones already. So from that "other" response we can assume those 21% either want a bigger phone than the 6S Plus, or a smaller phone than the 5S. Or possibly something in between the current models. Either way, there's enough in that 21% to suggest people who want a different sized phone are likely never going to drop to as little as 2% for any size category preference.

In the end Apple's job is going to be to determine which are the best size compromises to make each of these groups happy, and still be profitable. That remaining 21% in the "other" category, are going to split themselves between the available sizes, which means there may be more than 20% of current iPhone users who would buy a new 4" phone if their preferred size wasn't an option -- in much the same way I'm not going to stop using iPhones if they don't release a new 4" phone by the time my 5S gets too slow. I will reluctantly upgrade to the next smallest option. But that's not true of everybody.

However, If Apple does release a new 4" phone but positions it as a "budget" phone, they're going to lose out on a lot of customers like me who will sacrifice features for size, who would otherwise willingly pay top dollar. And maybe that's a trade off Apple is willing to make as more customers buying the budget phones help justify the expense to manufacture them, even if it's at the sacrifice of more flagship phones. The beauty of Apple is that the profit margins are all that matter, and Apple has some of the highest, so the trade off will likely be minimal, and likely the reason Cook could honestly say he was never worried about cannibalism across iPad product lines. Only wall street will place unreasonable emphasis on units sold.

In the end, I think Apple knows they can't just ignore this 41% who want something other than a 4.7" or 5.5" phone. And the fact that more than half that number likely want a 4" phone or smaller, is important in informing the direction Apple takes. Since Apple has basically entered every market once the exclusive territory of the competition, I think they realize they can't just ignore any market segment, or the competition will step in -- just like the "phablet", mini tablets, and laptop replacements. Apple customers are fairly loyal, but as the recent migration of Android users to the Apple platform once Apple offered the iPhone 6 has shown, not everyone is going to jump onboard if Apple's products don't meet their needs.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 43 of 59
    I'd be fine with the smaller screen again, when I need a larger screen, that's what my iPad mini is for. (Currently using iPhone 6)
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Choice is good. And yes, it is amazing what you will get used to, once you try the newest...when i turned in my work phone two years ago, i "temporarily" added a calling/texting app to my iPad Mini, to cover me until i figured out what to replace it with. I make a modest amount of calls but use text, email, and web access constantly.

As the weeks rolled by, i eventually found that the Mini covered everything i needed quite well, and i adjusted to its seemingly enormous size quite easily.( It Actually fits some pockets when out of a case, or using a thin case but it's not really practical that way except around the house or yard.) one handed use is obviously very limited, so that is a compromise.  Generally i just carry it but often find i can stick it in my waistband without any problem.  

Sure, that is not for everybody by a loonng shot, but my aging eyes Are grateful for the screen real estate and it also is the perfect sized device for rapid thumb typing, especially in landscape mode.  I absolutely realize i am a minority in terms of finding this workable, but my point remains, "choice is good." I am using it right now while on the go. 

P.s. The calling works just fine and is cheaper. I am sure Apple hates me though. 
  • Reply 45 of 59
    I'm so excited that Apple is finally designing products based off of market research and not relying on technological research and development. Not only is it the cheaper approach, but way easier as well. It gets old always trying to be the best. I look forward to a 3.5" iPhone "c", because I'm sure there are some people that think even the 4" iPhone "C" is just a hair too big. In fact, I don't know about you guys, but I don't really care about having a Retina display either. Plus, it will provide iOS programmers even more screen sizes and feature sets to program for. No more of that generic 1 program for all devices crap. Finally, they'll be able to make apps to specifically take advantage of that 4" screen. I think we can all agree that it's better to have options.

I was on the fence with leaving the rigid, focused, premiere world of Apple for the fragmented, market driven world of Android. Fortunately, it looks like I won't have to. Thanks Apple! You really love me ;)
  • Reply 46 of 59
    A high spec 4" would be rather nice. I use both the 5s and several makes of bigger ones but I always prefer the 5s. Not everyone has hands big enough to hold a 6 comfortably and also I find a 5s is much easier to put into ones pockets. That is just my opinion, every one is different, but I don`t think bigger is always better.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Ready to upgrade from 5s if it has A9 and 3D touch
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 48 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    j5fanclub said:
    I'm so excited that Apple is finally designing products based off of market research and not relying on technological research and development. Not only is it the cheaper approach, but way easier as well. It gets old always trying to be the best. I look forward to a 3.5" iPhone "c", because I'm sure there are some people that think even the 4" iPhone "C" is just a hair too big. In fact, I don't know about you guys, but I don't really care about having a Retina display either. Plus, it will provide iOS programmers even more screen sizes and feature sets to program for. No more of that generic 1 program for all devices crap. Finally, they'll be able to make apps to specifically take advantage of that 4" screen. I think we can all agree that it's better to have options.

I was on the fence with leaving the rigid, focused, premiere world of Apple for the fragmented, market driven world of Android. Fortunately, it looks like I won't have to. Thanks Apple! You really love me ;)
    You realize that the 4" screen is literally no different from a software perspective than the 4.7" screen right? 

Youre ranting about a 3.5" screen but that's not going to happen because of the software issue, and I would argue that the vast majority of people who prefer the original iPhone size are referring to the size of the phone, not the size of the screen. Many have demonstrated that if Apple moves some things around a 4" screen would fit in an iPhone 4S package, and a 4.7" screen would fit in a 5S package.

moreover, you're going on about fragmentation when you realize Apple already sells 3 sizes of iPad, and 3 sizes of MacBook across 3 models. I suppose you think Apple has made a horrible mistake with that too and are rapidly turning into Google and HP?
  • Reply 49 of 59
    wood1208 said:
    Curious, why this upcoming iphone 5/5S replacement is not called iPhone 6M ( M for Mini) or 6L ( L for light version if bigger siblings) but apparently named iphone 6C ( C for Compact or ?), referring previous unpopular iphone 5C ?
    I'd like to think "m" is for mobile. Imagine that: a mobile version of the iPhone 6!
    One that fits in your pocket, comfortably.  :o
  • Reply 50 of 59
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    My 6plus is great except when I want to do outdoors activities, the size is impracticle for many things and with weather protection becomes too much hassle. I would gladly have a 5C sized phone that was easier to stow when hiking/fishing/water activities etc.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    You realize that the 4" screen is literally no different from a software perspective than the 4.7" screen right? 

Hmm, you're confusing me. So developers don't do anything different to take advantage of different screen sizes? I thought the iPhone 6 added another line of icons on the main screen because of more screen space. I thought the 6 Plus allowed the main screen to rotate because of additional screen space. I thought the email app worked different depending on the phone/screen size. Maybe I'm right, but none of that requires any additional design or code?

I assumed developers would have to take in to consideration designing icons, interfaces, features, etc. because of screen sizes. But maybe you're right :).

Developers can probably make the same app for all devices without any additional work on thier part at all! That's exciting! I was worried that some new devices, or versions of new devices, might not be able to run certain apps because developers wouldn't take the additional time and effort to make ideal versions of them for all possible versions of a device.

So, does that mean all iPad apps work the same across all versions? So I can download an app for the Pro and run it on my mini? That's fantastic!

i know when people say a 4" iPhone they mean a 4" iPhone screen. When I say I want a 3.5" iPhone, I'm saying I want a 3.5" iPhone screen. A 3.5" screen means an even smaller iPhone. Since the software is "literally" the same on everything, then why not make a 3.5" screen?

And just to be clear, I'm glad Apple is intentionally putting effort in to making a "C" model. I'm tired of looking to Android when I want not the best.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    sog35 said:
    Once people actually spend a little time with a larger phone, like the 6s, this number will drop from 20% to 2! There is no going back!
    It's all anecdotal, isn't it? But I'm reading quite a few comments around the interweb from people saying they can't wait to ditch their 6 form phones to get back to the smaller size. And then an even larger number saying "Hooray, finally I will be able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 - 5 etc". (I personally am in that second category)
    I found that most who say they prefer 4 inch phones on forums are actually trolls (not saying you are). I check those people's post history and most of them are chronic Apple concerned trolls.
    I am a long-time Apple supporter and I prefer the 5s form-factor, both for size and grip.  The iPhone 6 size is too big to use one-handed and the rounded edges make the grip a pain.  

I bunch of us Apple lovers are all waiting for a little Apple love for smaller phone users.  Can't wait for the iPhone 5s Mark II!!!

• Reply 53 of 59
    I'd lately been having difficulty reading and typing on my aging company iPhone 5 (getting older, I guess) so I got approval to upgrade.  I was favoring the 6+ over the 5s and 6 but I was concerned about the 6+ size and "pocketability". A quick test with a coworker's 6+ showed it would fit in my pants pocket just fine.

So I ordered a 6+ and ended up completely loving the phone from the first day it arrived.  No more squinting and a lot less fat-finger typos.  Reading and writing emails instantly improved. The Touch ID meant no more typing and mistyping passwords.  Web-browsing is now a joy and I can now make use of a lot more apps.  Ok, there is an occasional need for 2-handed use but this is completely out-weighed by the large, more readable screen.

I really love this form factor and have absolutely no desire to go back to a small 4" screen. The 6+ is easily the best phone I've ever had. 

edited December 2015
  • Reply 54 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Yep Apple will really do well if they Nano version the iPhone. These numbers show there is real scope for a best of breed 4 inch phone.

They could use to test the waters on tech like embedded SIM due in 2016.

Indeed it would be a great product for them to push miniaturisation technologies they would need to develop if the Watch is ever to have its own cellular radio and be true standalone. I could see the iPhoneNano and Watch bouncing off each both tech and style wise.

I know I'd in the queue if the new 4inch is a true upgrade from the 5S. 

• Reply 55 of 59
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    sog35 said:
    It's all anecdotal, isn't it? But I'm reading quite a few comments around the interweb from people saying they can't wait to ditch their 6 form phones to get back to the smaller size. And then an even larger number saying "Hooray, finally I will be able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 - 5 etc". (I personally am in that second category)
    I found that most who say they prefer 4 inch phones on forums are actually trolls (not saying you are). I check those people's post history and most of them are chronic Apple concerned trolls.
    I am a long-time Apple supporter and I prefer the 5s form-factor, both for size and grip.  The iPhone 6 size is too big to use one-handed and the rounded edges make the grip a pain.  

I bunch of us Apple lovers are all waiting for a little Apple love for smaller phone users.  Can't wait for the iPhone 5s Mark II!!!

I jumped from 4s to 6s, it's absolutely perfect. I picked up my old 4s and it really was strange. The 6s feels comfortable and not overly big. I will never go back. I can't imagine a scenario where a 4" phone would be better for me. I doubt that we will see a new 4" phone from Apple, I'll put money on that. Ps what have you done to this app apple insider?
  • Reply 56 of 59
    I've felt that design-wise, Apple peaked with the 4/4S. Great size, weight, heft, materials, comfort. Once I got my 4S I even stopped using a case...any case I got diminished the experience.

Then the 5/5S came out, and I was less enthralled with the design. It was thinner, and became more uncomfortable to hold. And it was way too light: it felt like I was holding a prop. The 6/6S (and pluses) are the least attractive iPhones Apple has ever done.

The model, though, that almost saved it was the 5c. I love my 5c. Love it to death. Good materials and size, heavier and more solid-feeling than the 5, and very clean. And it feels GREAT in hand: no risk of slippage, no sharp edges, extremely comfortable. I was so turned off by the 6, I was hoping very much that there would be a 6c announced this past September, and I was disappointed.

But there are realities. I really would like Touch ID, and I really would like Apple Pay. And though I'm a dinosaur that lugs around a DSLR if I want to shoot serious photos, it would be nice to have an improved camera than on my 5c. Most importantly, though, I want to move up to a 64-bit chip. I had to make a decision, whether to wait one more year or to just go ahead and get the 6S, and put a case on it.

Right now, with this rumor, I feel better for having waited. I'm disappointed that the rumor suggests they are ditching the plastic body...but I could still just put a case on it, I suppose, if I were that uncomfortable with the metal. Here's hoping!
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Latest rumor off a YouTube video is that it will be A8 instead of A9 and 1 GB instead of 2GB for U.S. version.  Also included in 6C are earlier NFC module and older Wi-Fi "n" not "ac" and earlier Touch ID technology inside.  
  • Reply 58 of 59
    I am still using a 5S because I use one hand with my phone. I upgraded to a 6 on day of release and returned it and went back to my 5S because of the size!! I need an upgraded iPhone with a 4 inch screen, Touch ID, and all the new specs of the 6S and more. Apple please bring back the 4 inch screen! I work for AT&T corporate store in NJ and have a lot of customers that want the 4 inch screen back!!! Please Apple! I'll never upgrade from my 5S unless it's another 4 inch screen!!!