Rumor: Apple again said to use OLED display for 'iPhone 8' in 2018

Posted:
in iPhone
Yet another report from Japan claims that Apple is planning to jump to OLED panel displays for its iPhone lineup starting in 2018, using the same display technology found in the Apple Watch.
Japan Display is said to be in talks to supply OLED panels years down the road, according to Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, a business-focused daily newspaper in Japan. If Apple were to stick to its naming conventions and release cycle, a 2018 handset would be referred to as an "iPhone 8." According to the latest rumor, Japan Display is hoping to begin supplying OLED panels to Apple in the spring of 2018. Current and previous iPhone models have used LCD displays, which are more affordable than OLED panels. Monday's latest rumor echoes a report from late November which also indicated that Apple was working to switch to OLED displays for iPhones beginning in 2018. The source of that rumor was another Japanese publication, Nikkei, which said that LG Display was ramping up capacity in anticipation of Apple's switch. In contrast, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said a month ago that he doesn't think Apple will embrace OLED panels in the iPhone until 2019 at the earliest.
The Apple Watch is currently Apple's only AMOLED display device.
In addition to being more affordable, LCD also offers supply flexibility, longer product life, and superior visibility in sunlight. OLED panels, meanwhile, are known for bright colors and power consumption savings, which are key reasons Apple chose OLED for the wearable Apple Watch. The Apple Watch also takes advantage of its OLED panel by featuring a dark user interface, with most screens displaying black backgrounds on white text. Darker UIs can help to stretch out battery life on OLED displays. However, that advantage does not exist when using LCD, which requires a backlight to illuminate all pixels regardless of color. Without a dark UI, an iPhone with OLED wouldn't be able to realize the same level of power savings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    well if someone is saying it twice....
  • Reply 2 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Possible, but it seems unlikely that even Apple will have finalized a display tech used for a device due in 33 months.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    There is a dearth of Apple news in December so we get crap like this.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    "Introducing the new Apple Blackout Edition iPhone"
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Whatever and whenever, I trust Apple to get it right.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    2018 is a long way off and I am sure OLED is but one of the many choices available to Apple. Technology maturity and feature set changes in a year, so in three years there may be a good number of other changes. Heck, why not flicker-free, high refresh colour e-paper? Okay, based on current evolution, that is probably pushing it.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm going to post here, what I posted earlier on another site in response to this news.

"AMOLED displays don't have brighter colors unless they're not calibrated. They are less efficient than LCD displays under normal use. They do have a shorter lifetime, especially in the blue, but also in the green. They do have "burn-in".

They most certainly do NOT look sharper. In fact, in order for Samsung's SAMOLED displays to look AS sharp. They need 33% higher resolution, which is why their displays have such a high resolution. The reason for that is because AMOLED displays are significantly less bright, and so they add an extra green site to the pixel, making the pixel bigger. Complaints have been that their displays look coarse and grainy. Raising the resolution eliminates that problem, but leads to another one. Now they need a GPU with 33% more power, and greater battery use to make up for the larger number of pixels.

Hopefully, if Apple does go this route, in 2018, the displays they use will have solved these problems. The only advantage to using an AMOLED display right now is the greater blacks and the fact that it's thinner. I'd hate to think that Apple is really mostly concerned with making the phones even thinner, while giving in to the other problems."
  • Reply 8 of 31
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    What is the battery life of OLED displays as compared to current iPhone ones?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I hope they dont move to OLED unless they can calibrate the display properly. I hate those oversaturated colours on the current phones that have them.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    deviant said:
    I hope they dont move to OLED unless they can calibrate the display properly. I hate those oversaturated colours on the current phones that have them.
    The last few iterations of Samsung phones with OLED displays have well calibrated displays. Read the Anandtech reviews.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    That's unusual, I'd have expected people to be predicting OLED for the iPhone 7. The normal approach is to scatter-gun predictions about the next version, and hope you get one or two correct, then recycle the rest of them for the next one. I'm sure Apple is testing lots of stuff for the next few iterations, probably through to the iPhone 10 (iPhone X?). Predicting something this far out, you either know something, or you're hoping that no-one will remember if you're wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    anome said:
    That's unusual, I'd have expected people to be predicting OLED for the iPhone 7. 
    Predicting something three years out gives them three years worth of clickbait.

They can say it’s happening in three years now.

Six months from now they can say Apple is facing production issues.

A year from now they can walk the rumor back and say the 8S.

A year and a half from now they can say it’s back on for the iPhone 8 and that Samsung is producing them.

Two years from now they can say TSMC got the bid.

Etc.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    The iPhone 8 (and 8S) will sell like hotcakes in Asia when it is released as the number "8" is a very auspicious number. I'd expect Apple to hold that in mind while designing that generation of iPhones. 

That said, Apple may not change the display technology to make the model special, but I'm betting they will do something outstanding relevant to the Asian consumers.  
  • Reply 14 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    appex said:
    What is the battery life of OLED displays as compared to current iPhone ones?
    That depends on what is on the screen. Right now, the benefit to AMOLED is that the blacks are true black as there is no light going to those pixels. If you have a lot of (#000000) black in your UI you can save power. The deep black that blends into the black bezel and the thin lines on a sparse UI is why the Apple choose AMOLED for the Watch and why the UI is so very different in it's "feel" than iOS.

Unless something drastically changes with AMOLED technology they willl need to use a lot of black in iOS. In 2018, that will be the 6th year the current look and feel, so a major UI overhaul may be in order. By the time iOS 7 came out—7th year for iOS—we needed something more modern.

Even if they do go that route, how many of use use Safari the most? I know I do and I doubt the webpages will switch to light text on a black background.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Who cares about the iPhone 8? That's old news. I want details on the iPhone 10S. 
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I want details on the iPhone 10S. 

It’ll have a built-in app that will record the data of a certain sport as you play it.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    anome said:
    That's unusual, I'd have expected people to be predicting OLED for the iPhone 7. The normal approach is to scatter-gun predictions about the next version, and hope you get one or two correct, then recycle the rest of them for the next one. I'm sure Apple is testing lots of stuff for the next few iterations, probably through to the iPhone 10 (iPhone X?). Predicting something this far out, you either know something, or you're hoping that no-one will remember if you're wrong.
    Well, the supposedly "well-connected Apple analyst" Ming-Chi Kuo has come out and said there will be no OLED for iPhone 7, so now everybody else is reluctant to gainsay him.

And there seems to be a belief that a change of that nature is too major for an "S" iteration (although I wouldn't be so sure).

Therefore, no OLED in 2016 (iPhone 7) or 2017 (iPhone 7S).  

Therefore, let's just say 2018 (iPhone 8).

That's the depth of the logic here.  No more.  No less.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    deviant said:
    The last few iterations of Samsung phones with OLED displays have well calibrated displays. Read the Anandtech reviews.
    I want to see Anandtech review these OLED screens after 1 year of use.
    I've heard that OLED blue pixels only have a life of 4000 hours and after 2000 hours they have significant dimming.  But since only the blue pixels dim faster than your color will be way off.

Samsung tries to compensate for this by having double the amount of blue pixels. But that is only delaying the inevitable.  Early blue pixel dimming and death.
    I have posted a photo of my phone exhibiting no fade in blue pixels after 5 years of daily use.  I don't believe you didn't see the photo.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That seems pretty obvious, especially with Ive who said that LCD looked old to him. 
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I've owned three iPhones... 4S, 5S and 6S... and I never thought the LCD looked bad.
    dasanman69shameermulji