Rumor: Apple to host March 2016 event for new Apple Watch, 4-inch iPhone

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2015
For the second year in a row, Apple may hold a media presentation in March to share details on a new Apple Watch launch, as well as the potential debut of a new 4-inch "iPhone 6c" in the spring.

Citing unnamed sources, 9to5Mac reported on Tuesday that Apple is planning to hold a March 2016 event where the main focus would be a second generation version of the Apple Watch. That would put the wearable device on a yearly upgrade schedule, much like the iPhone.

Also said to be a possibility for the event is a so-called "iPhone 6c," which has been the subject of numerous rumors in recent weeks. Specifically, Apple is believed to be working on a new, smaller 4-inch model with an A9 processor and Apple Pay support.

It's expected that a new 4-inch iPhone would be a low-end model, replacing the iPhone 5s at the $449 price range.

Apple held a media presentation this March to give final launch details on the Apple Watch, and also to unveil an all-new 12-inch MacBook with Retina display. The Apple Watch received new color and band options in September, but the internal hardware remains a first-generation device.

Tuesday's report aligns with expectations and rumors, which have suggested that Apple will debut a second-generation Apple Watch in the first half of 2016. The first-generation Apple Watch debuted this year in April with limited supplies, though the company quickly improved availability and distribution.

Rumors about the so-called "Apple Watch 2" have been light thus far, with one report in July suggesting the second-generation model will look exactly the same as the current version, but will boast a larger internal battery. It was also suggested that the new Watch will improve outdoor visibility.

Other questionable rumors have claimed that Apple could be working on new "smart bands" that will enhance functionality of current models without requiring users to update to entirely new hardware. The Apple Watch has a hidden data port within one of its strap attachment grooves.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    That would also allow them to refresh the MacBook with Skylake chips, and drop a Mac Pro update. If they also launch a new MacBook Pro, that leaves WWDC free for software, and I for one am looking forward to iOS X and OS X 10.12.
    shameermuljijbishop1039cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm waiting for the 4" watch phone. 
    aaronjicoco3
  • Reply 3 of 32
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    jungmark said:
    That made me actually laugh out loud :)
    jbishop1039
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I would be surprised if Apple introduced a second generation watch after only a year.   Every two the three years might be a reasonable refresh rate.   What they might do is introduce a first generation watch with a different form factor (round face?).  I am also a fan of introducing smart bands, and those could be introduced annually.  
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Rumor floated by the competition to slow down holiday AppleWatch sales...
    radster360cornchipmultimedia
  • Reply 6 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    This might get an immediate boost to sale due to an upgrade from those still holding on to iPhone 4S/5/5C/5S and waiting for similar foot-print iphone from Apple but with new tech like ApplePay, VOLTE, VOWiFi,additional LTE bands, etc,etc..
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 7 of 32
    emoeller said:
    I would be surprised if Apple introduced a second generation watch after only a year.   Every two the three years might be a reasonable refresh rate.   What they might do is introduce a first generation watch with a different form factor (round face?).  I am also a fan of introducing smart bands, and those could be introduced annually.  
    Actually, you shouldn't be surprised at all. You're more than welcome to upgrade every two to three years but that won't stop Apple from releasing yearly.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark said:
    You're going to have to settle for a 4" phone watch.  ;)
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    jungmark said:
    I'm waiting for the 4' watch phone PRO.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    No foldable phone? Sog35 will be disappointed.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    emoeller said:

What's so surprising? There is a huge number of Apple users that didn't buy the 1st gen and many, like myself, waiting on future iterations. I don't think Apple is expecting current owners to upgrade (although I'm sure a healthy number will). With many waiting for greater functionality, the 2nd generation could and should enjoy much greater sales.
    multimedia
  • Reply 12 of 32
    ronn said:
    emoeller said:

What's so surprising? There is a huge number of Apple users that didn't buy the 1st gen and many, like myself, waiting on future iterations. I don't think Apple is expecting current owners to upgrade (although I'm sure a healthy number will). With many waiting for greater functionality, the 2nd generation could and should enjoy much greater sales.
    Exactly.  When you look at iPhone, it didn't really "take off" & become mainstream until iPhone 4. I don't expect any different from Apple Watch.
    multimedia
  • Reply 13 of 32
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    My god! No more product updates! Enough is enough. It is getting to the point where people are hesitant to jump in and buy because they worry that in a few months time, there will be a newer one. The excitement is gone. Slow down Apple and focus on making your software better. Spend some time on improving all of the things you start and never really improve.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    emoeller said:
    Be prepared to be surprised.
    cornchipmultimedia
  • Reply 15 of 32
    techno said:
    My god! No more product updates! Enough is enough. It is getting to the point where people are hesitant to jump in and buy because they worry that in a few months time, there will be a newer one. The excitement is gone. Slow down Apple and focus on making your software better. Spend some time on improving all of the things you start and never really improve.
    Apple Watch hasn't been updated, besides software. What on earth are you hand wringing about? Rumors? And what makes you think you'll want version 2? You know nothing about it. Unless you simply can't live without the latest and greatest of anything, in which case, you should be used to the upgrade treadmill by now. I am incredulous that anyone would want something without knowing anything about it.

This is the ultimate example of "Apple is damned if they do, damned if they don't":
    Update too soon "the excitement is gone". Update too late and it's "stale and boring."
    nolamacguyronncalicornchipmultimediapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 32
    I'd like to see a pen compatible iPad Air. They skipped the iPad air refresh for the iPad pro this year.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    sog35 said:

What are you hoping for in the 2nd generation?

I think the shell will look exactly the same. Maybe more battery life?  GPS? Camera?  Faster CPU?  Not sure what the killer feature would be in version 2.

I bought an AppleWatch last week for $220 from B&H Photo and its great. Probably will skip Generation2 and wait for Generation3.  The funny thing is I never though I needed a smartwatch but after a week with it I can't imagine not having one.  It makes so many things easier and more accessable.
    surprised you only just got one. 

killer features will be: responsiveness, waterproof, gps. we'll get there I'm sure. 
    multimedia
  • Reply 18 of 32
    emoeller said:
    your smart band theory would likely require a 2.0 release to come to fruition.

My guess is that the crowdsourced data they are getting now is driving a fast follow 2nd generation that will have a different form factor and a new set of internals.   The form factor will be fashion driven, and the new internals will drive both new functionality (my guess better accuracy in motion detection and/or gathering health telemetry), a smaller form factor (either rounder or more thinner or both), and most importantly, a better power envelope.

Like quality watches, these will likely have a high resale value (higher than 2008 era phones, with crappy batteries and the wear and tear of non-crystal glass), therefore, my guess a resale/refurbished marketplace will likely support a quick product cycle (I can sell my watch for $300 and buy a new one for $399).

cornchipmultimedia
  • Reply 19 of 32

serendip said:
    I'd like to see a pen compatible iPad Air. They skipped the iPad air refresh for the iPad pro this year.
    i

While I agree, I think they will let the iPad Pro milk the market place for a while.
    Like Retina on Macbook Pros.

• Reply 20 of 32
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    sog35 said:
    ronn said:
    emoeller said:

[ ... ]

What are you hoping for in the 2nd generation?

I think the shell will look exactly the same. Maybe more battery life?  GPS? Camera?  Faster CPU?  Not sure what the killer feature would be in version 2.

I bought an AppleWatch last week for $220 from B&H Photo and its great. Probably will skip Generation2 and wait for Generation3.  The funny thing is I never though I needed a smartwatch but after a week with it I can't imagine not having one.  It makes so many things easier and more accessable.
    I've actually haven't tried an Apple Watch yet. I lucked out and won an LG G Watch more than a year ago. Thought I wouldn't really use it. Being old with health issues and seeking a discount on insurance premiums, I use the watch to monitor my exercise and other activity. The AW is more robust and I will eventually get one. I just expect the next version to be more refined: fashion choices, better/longer lasting battery, quicker responsiveness for apps, and maybe wifi/cellular capabilities. I'm basing that on the one friend and a few online acquaintances that have detailed their uses for the AW. I'm sure it'll be similar to the upgraded iPods and iPhones of years past.

Of course coming from an Android Wear device, the first gen would suit me well and I may just go for a reduced price 1st gen Apple Watch as a test purchase before a 2nd or 3rd gen purchase.