Apple's new Smart Battery Case displays remaining charge on lock screen, boasts integrated antenna

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50

lkrupp said:
    The knee jerk reaction to this here and elsewhere appears to be, “Hah, Apple admits its battery life sucks!” But unbiased reviewers like Andy Ihnatko (who doesn’t use an iPhone for his personal device) has repeatedly said that the iPhone has the best battery life of most phones out there, as well as the best camera.
    No, the knee-jerk reaction is that it's fugly, and that's a tough pill to swallow given that it's from Apple. Had Samsung come out with a similarly ugly case, this forum will be lit up like a christmas tree on how Samsung is clueless about design.
    They are knee-jerk reactions because no one has used this yet! Design isn't just about how something looks. Every review I've read so far says this product works well even if it won't win any beauty contests. 
    We all know Apple places a premium on appearances, as do Apple customers.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Nilay Patel thinks Apple's design could be about designing around Mophie's patents. Apparently they have a number of them. An interesting possibility.

https://t.co/jGWh0bQsCD
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Nilay Patel thinks Apple's design could be about designing around Mophie's patents. Apparently they have a number of them. An interesting possibility.

https://t.co/jGWh0bQsCD
    How much to buy Mophie...the company, that is...
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 44 of 50
    I need one for my iPhone 6S Plus.  I am disabled by cerebral palsy since birth some 67 years ago.  Extended battery life is extremely helpful to me.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    TimOSacto said:
    I need one for my iPhone 6S Plus.  I am disabled by cerebral palsy since birth some 67 years ago.  Extended battery life is extremely helpful to me.
    Aren't there good third party options for the 6+?
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Yes, anantksundaram , I ordered one from Amazon.  It just arrived at half the price of the new Apple one.  But it does not boast the IOS integration features mentioned in the article here.  I am dropping a hint Apple should not leave us 6S Plus users out in the cold.

Thanks for taking the time and energy to reply to my post.  Cheerily Yours,
    Tim
  • Reply 47 of 50
    non_sense said:
    Apple: "you don't need more battery life" Consumer: "but sometimes i like to go outside for the whole day" Apple: "ok, we have built you this silicone sleeve with a built in battery" Consumer: "but now my beautiful phone looks like it's pregnant with another phone" Apple: "this is the best we could come up with for weirdos like you who like to be wireless for as long as possible" Wasn't the object to get away from corded phone especially for something mobile. I have been with Apple since the beginning, but isn't the adage "form follows function" in design. I love the hardware/software integration, but Apple we carry phones in the real world, they need last for a day or more, and withstand drops--yet we have to wrap your beautiful phone in a ugly case. Design around the function of works well in the field, surprise us with that.
    what? this is a prime example of form following function, yet you still hate it.

His is a prime example of concern troll following concern troll narrative.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mac_128 said:
    macapfel said:
    Clever move. Now Apple can ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone 7 – but still have it in the thicker battery pack.
    This is a good point. This battery pack would be easier to make if it doesn't have to be compatible with every 3.5 headphone out there, just Lightning connectors. And they can easily incorporate an outboard 3.5mm Jack and DAC into the battery pack itself, giving hardcore 3.5mm traditionalists a dongle free existence, likely with higher quality audio, while giving them protection for their iPhone, since many people use cases already, as well as extended battery life.
    It's not especially clear from the photos, but is this what they've done?  It looks like there's a headphone port on the case, but only a Lightning port connecting the case to the phone, so does that mean there must be a DAC in the case itself?
  • Reply 49 of 50
    TimOSacto said:
    Yes, anantksundaram , I ordered one from Amazon.  It just arrived at half the price of the new Apple one.  But it does not boast the IOS integration features mentioned in the article here.  I am dropping a hint Apple should not leave us 6S Plus users out in the cold.

Thanks for taking the time and energy to reply to my post.  Cheerily Yours,
    Tim
    I have little doubt that there will be one for the 6+ soon, and in more colors!  :)
  • Reply 50 of 50
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet open and ready.