First look: Apple's lightweight 3.6oz Smart Battery Case for iPhone 6s and iPhone 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

There isn't. I'm being sarcastic only because every time someone makes a legitimate comment about the iPhone battery- they get attacked. Which is a bit sad, really.

My iPhone is incredible but the battery isn't good enough. 

It's my ONE complaint. One. Complaint. As in, NO other complaints. 

I'm surrounded by non-techy iPhone owners. They all have the same complaint: battery life.

Now, I could attack anyone who says this OR I could help push a great company to address it. As a shareholder, I'll take the latter, thanks.

Great so you're the perfect source for a question I have: what spare power battery packs do you and the people you're surrounded with use to add that needed extra battery life?
  • Reply 22 of 83
    The thing is fugly. Why bother making it? 
    I guess the Ugly Engineers had nothing to do.

/s
  • Reply 23 of 83
    It serves a purpose for say field engineers or people in certain situations where they may need extended battery, but I have to agree, it is ugly and I hate to say it but can't imagine that would have sneaked through on "Steve's watch". With that said, it's an accessory and we don't have to buy it or like it, but at least if people need it, want it, they can have it. Serves a purpose and is functional.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    But why?
  • Reply 25 of 83
    is  it that hard to design a nice case?
    what's up with apple...
    Ipad pro keyboard cover... No trackpad... And no amazing inovation or design factor. No acomodation for the pencil.
    Appls Tv 4... Just made the old puck thicker.. No consideration for proportions
    magic mouse charging port at the bottom.. . Why ? Why ? 
    now the iphone 6 battery case .. Imho terrible...   Ugly.. 
    Who in this world approved that design ... Ahhhhhhhhh.
    is it realy that hard to design a battery  case ? 
    These are 1/2 the price.. And look streamlined. there are so many....
    whats up Apple... With these accesory designs and lately software ?

edited December 2015
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Battery life for current iPhones is no better nor worse than it is in (relative) comparison to past iPhones. It's adequate, for the class of phone. 

This "sleeker" battery pack (case?) is actually better looking than most of the ones on the market, for the simple reason that most of them (though not all) look like garbage. This one looks less so. 

As for how happy folks are with their iPhones (battery life and all), the consumer satisfaction reports are out there. No need to reproduce the obvious here. 

edited December 2015
  • Reply 27 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    laytech said:
    It serves a purpose for say field engineers or people in certain situations where they may need extended battery, but I have to agree, it is ugly and I hate to say it but can't imagine that would have sneaked through on "Steve's watch". With that said, it's an accessory and we don't have to buy it or like it, but at least if people need it, want it, they can have it. Serves a purpose and is functional.
    There are already cases on the market, so why develop one? Is Morphie making billions of dollars in sales? How much of those sales can Apple grab?  
  • Reply 28 of 83
    laytech said:
    There are already cases on the market, so why develop one? Is Morphie making billions of dollars in sales? How much of those sales can Apple grab?  
    I actually prefer buying genuine Apple accessories rather than third-party. 
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 29 of 83
    jfc1138 said:
    berenz said:
    I think I was just a little bit sick in my mouth. Apart from adding bulk and looking far from Apple's usual high-standards, it's surely an admission that the battery on the 6 and 6S are still woefully inadequate. I'd sacrifice having a thinner iPhone for 50% increase in battery - and even that wouldn't last me a full day at least a couple of times per week
    Nope, just APPLE acknowledging that there are some fraction of users who might benefit from this accessory. Rather than burden 100% of their customers with something so easily solved for the few.

Though I think I'd still be more likely to choose one of the multiple charge carrying small battery packs for a simple external boost. Not that I've ever found that necessary with my 6/6s Plus.
    What fraction? ¼, ⅓, ½? They spent R&D money making this case, and had to design around existing cases. They wouldn't have built it if the ROI wasn't huge. That means there are way more people that don't like the current battery life than Apple would admit to. 
  • Reply 30 of 83
    jfc1138 said:
    berenz said:
    I think I was just a little bit sick in my mouth. Apart from adding bulk and looking far from Apple's usual high-standards, it's surely an admission that the battery on the 6 and 6S are still woefully inadequate. I'd sacrifice having a thinner iPhone for 50% increase in battery - and even that wouldn't last me a full day at least a couple of times per week
    Nope, just APPLE acknowledging that there are some fraction of users who might benefit from this accessory. Rather than burden 100% of their customers with something so easily solved for the few.

Though I think I'd still be more likely to choose one of the multiple charge carrying small battery packs for a simple external boost. Not that I've ever found that necessary with my 6/6s Plus.
    What fraction? ¼, ⅓, ½? They spent R&D money making this case, and had to design around existing cases. They wouldn't have built it if the ROI wasn't huge. That means there are way more people that don't like the current battery life than Apple would admit to. 
    Assumptions.  ^^^

Yet:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/iphone-6-review-battery-life-and-verdict-page-6

http://bgr.com/2015/09/29/iphone-6s-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-6s-Plus-posts-excellent-battery-life-matches-the-Galaxy-Note5-to-the-minute_id74132

I don't see any catastrophic results there. 
  • Reply 31 of 83
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    sog35 said:
    berenz said:
    it's surely an admission that the battery on the 6 and 6S are still woefully inadequate.
    Come off it.

You're right. It's surely a statement that the battery life is so great that Apple just wants it to be greater.

It has nothing to do with people buying battery packs in increasing numbers. Or that battery chargers consistently rank in the best seller phone accessory sections on Amazon.

Apple clearly wants to make just a few of these for the so few people who want them.

Tell me another sub 5 inch phone that has significantly better battery life than the iPhone6?

Its simple physics. Smaller phones have smaller batteries.

Just because a car company gives you the option of Sport tires does not mean the stock tires are not good enough. The world is about choice.  Apple is just adding another choice for iPhone users.
    No harm if some people would prefer Apple to also make a bit thicker versions of their phone(s) that packs extra battery juice inside.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    With Apple's battery expertise and how they've engineered curved batteries, I expect a lot better from them.

why not thin the battery a little and stretch it across the case so it looks like a normal iPhone case with a unified slim profile?
    people would buy these just to make their iPhone sleeker.

heres an idea:

"But morphie and others are ugly bulky too!"

I'm talking about APPLE.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 33 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    What is that fucking thing that I just saw? LOL...
  • Reply 34 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    is  it that hard to design a nice case?
    what's up with apple...
    Ipad pro keyboard cover... No trackpad... And no amazing inovation or design factor. No acomodation for the pencil.
    Appls Tv 4... Just made the old puck thicker.. No consideration for proportions
    magic mouse charging port at the bottom.. . Why ? Why ? 
    now the iphone 6 battery case .. Imho terrible...   Ugly.. 
    Who in this world approved that design ... Ahhhhhhhhh.
    is it realy that hard to design a battery  case ? 
    These are 1/2 the price.. And look streamlined. there are so many....
    whats up Apple... With these accesory designs and lately software ?

The case is indeed ugly. However, I disagreed with you on others.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 35 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    laytech said:
    As Apple doesn't normally compete in certain classes of accessories, there must be a really good reason, from their point of view, as to why they would do this. Since this is new, we haven't heard anything from Apple yet. At some point, they may give the reason.

Possibly this is for commercial uses, as a checkout device, where it will be used for an entire day, as in two shifts, meaning 18 hours. Using a Square card input would work well. Possibly this is more rugged than other consumer level battery cases. That would be a good reason for this, and the "beauty" wouldn't be so important in that use case (no pun intended).
  • Reply 36 of 83
    jfc1138 said:
    berenz said:

Assumptions.  ^^^

Yet:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/iphone-6-review-battery-life-and-verdict-page-6

http://bgr.com/2015/09/29/iphone-6s-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-6s-Plus-posts-excellent-battery-life-matches-the-Galaxy-Note5-to-the-minute_id74132

I don't see any catastrophic results there. 
    Assumptions? How about actions? How about Apple not only designing, but building that hideous thing, because there's an obvious big need for it. 
  • Reply 37 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jfc1138 said:
    berenz said:

If it's for the purpose I explained it might be for in my above post, then ROI from this particular accessory wouldn't be as important. And you can bet Apple is making a profit on it. But if it could lead to a lot more Apple phones being used commercially, then it would be worth it.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 38 of 83
    This is probably the ugliest accessory Apple has ever designed. Glad I have a 6 Plus, no problems with battery life.
    I dunno, it seems pretty cool to me.  And attractive too.  
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Yes, all battery cases add bulk to a phone. But, I expect more from Apple. This just isn't like them. Not like they used to be, anyway. 
  • Reply 40 of 83
    melgross said:
    jfc1138 said:
    berenz said:

If it's for the purpose I explained it might be for in my above post, then ROI from this particular accessory wouldn't be as important. And you can bet Apple is making a profit on it. But if it could lead to a lot more Apple phones being used commercially, then it would be worth it.
    Can't make a profit if you don't get a ROI, and if they were really going after the commercial market it would've been designed more like a LifeProof case.