Apple releases OS X 10.11.2 update with fixes to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mail & more

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2015
Apple on Tuesday released a completed OS X 10.11.2 update for El Capitan, dealing with a slate of bugs in the operating system.

The download is available through the Mac App Store's Updates tab, and addresses the "stability, compatibility, and security" of Macs, according to Apple. Specifically, release notes mention the following changes:

• Improves Wi-Fi reliability
  • Improves the reliability of Handoff and AirDrop
  • Fixes an issue that may cause Bluetooth devices to disconnect
  • Fixes an issue that prevented Mail from deleting messages in an offline Exchange account
  • Fixes an issue that prevented importing photos from an iPhone to a Mac using a USB cable
  • Improves iCloud Photo Sharing for Live Photos

Apple seeded five betas of the update during its testing phase. OS X 10.11.1 was only released in late October, itself coming than month after El Capitan's premiere on Sept. 30.

OS X updates sometimes contain hidden changes. It's not yet clear if 10.11.2 might include a fix for things like empty VIP mailboxes in Mail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    It's not showing up yet for me as an update inside the App store 'updates' section. Just as the full OS download

edited December 2015
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Sometimes it takes a bit as Apple rolls it out for different users at different times.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I can confirm that the latest El Capitan update does not fix the FCPX graphical issue.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Hopeful that this will fix the constant crashes, sporadic failures to boot, freezing, overheating, etc that 10.11.1 brought to my and others 2012 Mac minis, leaving them Working only for short spells despite repeated reinstalls.. Waiting for the download to complete now!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I'm hoping for just a Mail fix that enables my connection back to my POP accounts. Was working, now they don't. I have to use the Thunderbird email client which works fine. I just prefer the Mail app UI better.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Damn. Updated my Mac. Still no fix to my Mail app issue. :/
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Desktop users with a UPS connected via USB cable, myself included, were experiencing problems with Time Machine not doing its hourly backups. That issue appears to be fixed in the 10.11.2 update. I can confirm this as well as a number of users reporting the fix on Apple’s discussion forums. Bug fixes are always good.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Hey hypoluxa POP accounts work fine under ELC Do yourself a favour and download the combo install at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1850 That's if you're using an actual computer.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Waiting for 10.11.12
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I've been waiting for that Wi-Fi fix and glad it's finally arrived.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    bluefire1 said:
    Well, but has it worked? ( It is not like the first time they said it is fixed when it is not )

• Reply 12 of 20
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Any Safari fixes?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I'm on a MBP Late 2008. Normaly I installed OS X really fast sometimes I waited for .1 or even .2 but this time I really think about to don't upgrade. 

Is here anybody with a MBP Late 2008 who did the upgrade and could tell me his experience ?

• Reply 14 of 20
    Hey hypoluxa POP accounts work fine under ELC Do yourself a favour and download the combo install at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1850 That's if you're using an actual computer.
    Ive tried erasing my accounts and creating them new. Still a no go. It's weird that they were working for a spell, then they stopped connecting. No changes on my settings either. Thunderbird client works perfectly. Apple Mail does not, using the exact email acount settings.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    @delorean,

Worked with the public bèta on my MBP 15" Unibody late 2008, this afternoon will install 10.11.2 released yesterday. Anything particular you want to know?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member

Hi All,

I noticed that this update was around 1.37 GB.  I presume that updates are also compressed.  Any insights as to why the update seems to be so large?  And not just this release, I just can't recall the last time a point release download was under 1 GB.  I'm not knocking the size, I'm just wanting to understand why it is the size it is.  Thanks in advance for educating me!  :)

• Reply 17 of 20
    damonf said:

I noticed that this update was around 1.37 GB.  I presume that updates are also compressed.  Any insights as to why the update seems to be so large?

Oh, they’re always huge. It varies slightly based on the model of Mac you use (and iOS device; iOS 9.2 was a couple hundred megabytes on my iPhone 6 but only 87 on a 4th gen iPod touch, for example) but they’re probably just changing a single line within a large file that can’t be broken down any further.

It’d be nice to have the updates broken down more, but they’re already “deltas”. I guess that’s good enough.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    @jannl ;

I just ask form general experience. So nothing in detail.
    But I just give it a try and install 11.2 by my self.

• Reply 19 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Does this update change anything for the issues with installing Adobe software on El Capitan?

The inability to run Adobe InDesign CS5 is the only thing keeping me from installing the new OS.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 20 of 20
    ksec said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Well, but has it worked? ( It is not like the first time they said it is fixed when it is not )

Whatever "fixes" Apple made to WIFI did not solve the WIFI network deafness following waking from sleep.  I find myself rebooting my iMac several times a day to get WIFI working again.  I sent in many Feedbacks about the issue during the 5 betas but it didn’t get fixed.  Come on Apple, listen to your users and fix this now.