Cortana for iOS launching on Wednesday, Microsoft announces

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
Microsoft's voice assistant, Cortana, will be available on "select" iPhone and Android devices starting on Wednesday, with Cyanogen OS suport coming later this month, according to an official blog post.

For iPhone owners, the app should be out shortly in the U.S. and China, Microsoft said. Though it can be used on its own, the app is mainly of interest to Windows 10 users, since it lets them make a command on a Windows computer or tablet and have it automatically reflected on their phone, or vice versa.

Users can, for instance, set a location-based reminder from their PC and see it triggered when they arrive somewhere with their iPhone. Similarly, packages, flights, and other data tracked through the desktop version of Cortana are pushed to iOS.

More generally the app offers the same searches and suggestions as in Windows, relying on optional data saved to Cortana's Notebook, like interests and local weather settings.

The iOS edition is more limited than its counterparts in some respects. Users can't say "Hey Cortana" to trigger the app for instance, and it can't be used to change settings or launch other apps, as with Windows devices. In terms of the new platforms, only Android users can get missed call alerts and SMS replies in Windows 10.

Likewise only Cyanogen OS, found on OnePlus phones, will get the same sort of deep integration enjoyed by Microsoft products, including settings controls and the ability to use "Hey Cortana" at any time. Owners will even be able to shut off their phone via voice.

The iPhone app will be a free download and require iOS 8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I saw an article saying that Microsoft beat Apple in a big way with this... I see it as more desperation to try and get people to use it.
    I think SIRI is still going to be on a lot more phones and mobile devices than Cortana, even with this port to iOS and Android.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I see no room for Cortana on iOS, unless someone is specifically interested in its links to Windows 10.

jbdragonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I saw an article saying that Microsoft beat Apple in a big way with this... I see it as more desperation to try and get people to use it.
    I think SIRI is still going to be on a lot more phones and mobile devices than Cortana, even with this port to iOS and Android.
    I think you may have missed the point of this article. Cortana is not meant to be a SIRI replacement. Rather, it is a Windows continuation method. Similar to how a Mac and iOS can "talk" and sync your life, Cortana is more or less the bridge from Windows to iOS when used on an iPhone.
    macky the macky
  • Reply 4 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I've been playing around with Cortana for the last 20 minutes. So far, I'm liking the app. I didn't see it on the app store for some reason, but you can download it from here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cortana/id1054501703?mt=8
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    This seems like just another nail in the Windows Phone coffin. Maybe not a big nail, but it's not a big coffin. Frankly I don't need a reason to expand my interactions with Windows. The less Windows Pain in my life the better. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When you buy a cheap android. You get goog's ecosystem.

when you buy Windows you get Microsoft's ecosystem.

when you buy iPhone you get ALL ecosystems.

What's the point in even buying other platforms?

oh, price.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    In my experience Cortana's been pretty cool. I wonder if Microsoft will play this like their other software and give Apple devices the updates before Windows
  • Reply 8 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Cortana basically can't recognize my voice AT ALL.
    Don't know what the hell that is about (that's on Windows 10 Desktop).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    It doesn't matter how good it is.  It's a product no one will use.  Who does this appeal to?  
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I won't use it simply because of this: "Your privacy is important to us...Microsoft USES YOUR CONTENT, which is YOUR COMMUNICATIONS WITH OTHERS; postings or feedback submitted by you to Microsoft via the Services; and the FILES, PHOTOS, DOCUMENTS, AUDIO, DIGITAL WORKS, AND VIDEOS THAT YOU UPLOAD, STORE OR SHARE THROUGH THE SERVICES ("Your Content"). By using the Services or agreeing to these Terms, YOU CONSENT TO MICROSOFT'S COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR CONTENT AND DATA as described in the Privacy Statement.” (Emphasis mine.)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pmz said:
    I see no room for Cortana on iOS, unless someone is specifically interested in its links to Windows 10.

That would be me as I use OS X, iOS and Windows 10. Cortana works, Siri doesn't; which is a crying shame as Apple has had years more user time interfacing with voice recognition and it's still very hit and miss-miss-miss. They put tremendous efforts into Maps after the embarrassingly disastrous launch, however, Siri never seems to get better and I have very clear diction and enunciation.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I think you may have missed the point of this article. Cortana is not meant to be a SIRI replacement. Rather, it is a Windows continuation method. Similar to how a Mac and iOS can "talk" and sync your life, Cortana is more or less the bridge from Windows to iOS when used on an iPhone.
    I believe that's also known as a "bridge to nowhere."