Tim Cook lauds new iPhone 6s Smart Battery Case design as easy to use

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook responded to negative criticism over the company's new Smart Battery Case, saying the "hump" battery cell is designed for easy-on, easy-off use.

Cook, who was in New York attending an Hour of Code session on Wednesday, told Mashable that other battery cases like those offered by Mophie are difficult to put on and take off due to their rigid full-length battery packs.

"You know, I probably wouldn't call it 'the hump,'" Cook said, referring to the protruding battery pack. "If you make this solid all the way across, in order to get it on, you'd find it very difficult to get it on and off. So the guys had this great insight to put the bend in along with making it a smart case."

Apple's Smart Battery Case features a flexible fluoroelastomer skin, allowing users to bend the top portion out of the way when inserting and removing an iPhone. Apple quietly released the accessory on Tuesday.

Cook was quick to point out that most iPhone users "probably don't need this at all" if they charge their device daily. Instead, the battery life extender is designed for special scenarios like hiking and overnight trips.

The Smart Battery Case is the first official battery pack to launch since the original iPhone debuted in 2007. The product's design is a departure from popular third-party offerings that incorporate large battery cells that effectively doubles handset thickness. Detractors, however, say the hump-like protrusion breaks up iPhone's clean lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    So a tech reporter gets 5 minutes with Tim Cook and this is what he chooses to talk about? It's a pretty sad commentary that a stupid battery case is getting so much attention and causing so much so-called controversy.
    radarthekatsplash-reverse
  • Reply 2 of 66
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I use a crystal clear case for my iPhone 5s to show off its beautiful design.

When I first saw this new hump case, I smelled a hidden agenda to make one that included cordless, inductive charging. Imagine this shape being compatible with a dock or puck that works like the Apple Watch charger.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And it’s only getting criticism from the usual suspects who haunt the Internet with their constant negativity, which is a cancer-like sore that festers and destroys. Tim Cook should have ignored the question.
    rogifan_oldsuddenly newtonzoetmb
  • Reply 4 of 66
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    eightzero said:
    I use a crystal clear case for my iPhone 5s to show off its beautiful design.

When I first saw this new hump case, I smelled a hidden agenda to make one that included cordless, inductive charging. Imagine this shape being compatible with a dock or puck that works like the Apple Watch charger.
    I would love to have a single charger for multiple devices when traveling. Phone, Watch, MacBook, and yes iPad. Maybe in a year or two.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Although I'm glad to hear the rationale behind the design. Of course they know what they're doing. And it's not supposed to be a permanent case.

it probably feels good too.
    rogifan_oldpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 66
    lkrupp said:
    And it’s only getting criticism from the usual suspects who haunt the Internet with their constant negativity, which is a cancer-like sore that festers and destroys. Tim Cook should have ignored the question.
    And of course it just generates more click bait for the usual suspects. I'm sure BI, BGR and the Verge already have articles up. Especially the Verge since they're suddenly so concerned about Apple design.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    lkrupp said:
    And of course it just generates more click bait for the usual suspects. I'm sure BI, BGR and the Verge already have articles up. Especially the Verge since they're suddenly so concerned about Apple design.
    Nilay Patel is a moron.
    edited December 2015 nolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 66
    Cook's right. 

Nothing but sensibility in his response and in the reasoning behind the case. 

Not sure what there is to actually spin about it, given consumers' satisfaction with the iPhone (and its battery life.)

The numbers simply don't support this accessory being anything other than just a useful accessory (that doesn't look bad, either.) 

But yeah, I love me some anecdotal nonsense...  feel free. 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 66
    All this talk and bs dancing around the real issue. Its a crapy design… simple ! And that’s not what apple is all about. It does not deserve the Apple logo.. IF anything apple is biased more to design than ergonomics.. But threir magic has been trying to balance both in reasonable way. This product fails Apple criteria The ipad pro keyboard case fails it. The way the Pencil get charged on iPad pro fails it . The charge port at the back of the mouse fails it . The new music app ui fails it. The new TvOS ( well feels very rushed and half baked .. Ill wait and see what happenes there ) There are bogus decisions made at apple recently. 2015 has been riddled with disarray at Apple. Hope in the coming year they get back to their normal greatness! Someone in charge is making follish calls Tim… Too many yes-s to bad ideas .
    satchmocalisingularity
  • Reply 10 of 66
    All this talk and bs dancing around the real issue. Its a crapy design… simple ! And that’s not what apple is all about. It does not deserve the Apple logo.. IF anything apple is biased more to design than ergonomics.. But threir magic has been trying to balance both in reasonable way. This product fails Apple criteria The ipad pro keyboard case fails it. The way the Pencil get charged on iPad pro fails it . The charge port at the back of the mouse fails it . The new music app ui fails it. The new TvOS ( well feels very rushed and half baked .. Ill wait and see what happenes there ) There are bogus decisions made at apple recently. 2015 has been riddled with disarray at Apple. Hope in the coming year they get back to their normal greatness! Someone in charge is making follish calls Tim… Too many yes-s to bad ideas .
    nope. its a simple form-following-function design, something plenty of people wish they did more of.

the Pencil is awesome, and theres absolutely no problem charging it -- youre probably not even aware of the adapter in the box for using a wall charger.

and the charge port on the mouse is in the correct spot -- because the front is actual "live" touch surface area, so putting the hole there would be bunk. and since it lasts for 30 days, AND you can get a whole day's charge in 2 minutes, theres absolutely NOTHING to complain about....unless youre a troll, of course.
    rogifan_oldredgeminipabrucemc
  • Reply 11 of 66

This is what compromise does.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Someone posted this on 9to5Mac

iSRS - 16 hours ago

Having seen it, and the guys at the Apple Store allowing me to take one and put it on my iPhone and try it out, it is well designed. Most Apple complaints about design always say “form over function” where this one is both, at least to me, when I saw it
  • Reply 13 of 66

nolamacguydbbcredgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 66
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Well of course he's a troll. But I have to agree that the Music/iTunes UI needs a rethink, and soon.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    AI sure has Apple's back here!

I do like the case actually. Looks better than the Mprphie IMO.

Not Apple's best work for sure but seems quite serviceable.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    So, the implication is that the plus models
    don't have any owners who could possibly need this?  
    Am I missing something?
    (I mean besides 99.7% of everything?')
  • Reply 17 of 66
    This situation was inevitable. No matter how much Tim Cook and executive management want to continue the work that Jobs inspired, it was not going to happen. Add to that what everyone imagines what Jobs would have done or not done. Apple will look more and more differently as time goes by.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Too bad I'll never know how "easy" it is to take off cause it's so damned ugly.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 19 of 66
    kent909 said:

This situation was inevitable. No matter how much Tim Cook and executive management want to continue the work that Jobs inspired, it was not going to happen. Add to that what everyone imagines what Jobs would have done or not done. Apple will look more and more differently as time goes by.
    what situation, specifically? new devices. better devices. record breaking sales and profit. highest consumer satisfaction ratings. 

what on earth do you believe is going wrong since Jobs died? classic troll trope, man. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 20 of 66
    That case fugly, still may get one though my 6+ battery will not last all day with heavy use.