Apple adds Maps support to 8 Flyover destinations in the U.S., Mexico and Europe

Posted:
in iPhone
Following news that Apple Maps is now used three times as often on iOS as Google Maps, Apple on Wednesday added eight locations in the U.S., Mexico and Europe to its rolling list of Flyover-supported areas.

Flyover view of Pomplona, Spain.

The latest locales to get Apple's top-down 3D view treatment include major cities and high-traffic destinations like Detroit, Mich., and Pittsburgh, Pa., as well as cultural hotspots like Pamplona, Spain.

The entire list of new Flyover locations from Apple's official iOS 9 Feature Availability webpage:

• Detroit, MI
  • Mazatl?n, Mexico
  • Monument Valley, AZ
  • M?nster, Germany
  • Pamplona, Spain
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Utrecht, Netherlands

Flyover is a tentpole Apple Maps feature that sets the service apart from competitors. To achieve the interactive 3D view, Apple collects and overlays high-resolution imagery on top of computer generated three-dimensional digital models of buildings, landmarks and other topographical features. These same assets power Flyover city tours, which take users on guided excursions of major metropolitan cities and tourist destinations like London, Paris and New York.

It was revealed on Monday that Apple Maps is now being used three times as often on iOS as its closest rival, Google Maps. Apple says the service handles more than five billion Maps-related queries per week.

Apple Maps continues to evolve after a less-than-stellar launch in 2012. Alongside feature enhancements and bug fixes, Apple has made numerous acquisitions and hires toward building out the in-house mapping product. Most recently, transit directions were added in iOS 9.

Looking ahead, Apple might be working to bring street-level imagery to Maps, as the company has deployed fleets of camera- and sensor-laden mapping vans in the U.S., England and France.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I love me some FlyOver, but Google's Street View is really a great feature. Would love to see Apple Maps gain something similar.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac'em x said:
    I love me some FlyOver, but Google's Street View is really a great feature. Would love to see Apple Maps gain something similar.
    Apple is working on that with LiDAR cars. Essentially, their FlyOver tech attached to minivans, not planes. I hope it arrives in 2016.
    cornchipsuperkloton
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Soli said:
    mac'em x said:
    Apple is working on that with LiDAR cars. Essentially, their FlyOver tech attached to minivans, not planes. I hope it arrives in 2016.
    Exactly. It's coming. And it will be incredible. I think they originally wanted to to whole hog with flyover, but like some Apple programs, their idealism got ensnared by the real world, so they had to change tactics. Hopefully it will move faster than flyover. And eventually, maybe when I'm old and decrepit, my town will finally get flyover …
  • Reply 4 of 15
    FlyOver is absolutely beautiful.

I am looking forward to seamless street level WalkOver integration where I can look across or up to see a street level view at high resolution.

cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 15
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Any of them working for anyone?   I tried them all and none of them work.  Others like New York, etc work fine.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why the obscure places first?

Me and my friend would travel Arizona all the time, we'd discover places and study maps and I learned the tiniest of towns there.
    WHERE THE HE** is Monument Valley???
    Must be one of those national reserve spots for hiking. But WHY??
    And Mazatlan???
    ummm one of the biggest cities in the world is in that country.

Would love for Apple to map out the biggest cities in the world within a year. It's a lot to ask but not for a company with $250B+ in the bank.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cashxx said:
    Any of them working for anyone?   I tried them all and none of them work.  Others like New York, etc work fine.
    Of course, they work fine as long as you have internet connectivity.

• Reply 8 of 15
    mac'em x said:
    I believe that 3D maps are actually superior to StreetView. When Apple expand their data with a ground view (from LiDAR cars), it’ll be even better than it already is. StreetView is just images and it is a pain in the arse to navigate. 3D graphics are much smoother and they feel much realer.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I just wish they could speed things up and do at least 20 - 30 city a year. Current rate is too slow.
    superklotoncornchip
  • Reply 10 of 15
    You forgot about Antwerp in Belgium and a couple of French towns/areas:)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    And each and every district in Dublin is being covered, too. Just because we don't merit an Apple Store doesn't mean we shouldn't get something form Apple. After all, we have the longest established Apple manufacturing centre outside of North America.  B)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    cashxx said:
    Of course, they work fine as long as you have internet connectivity.

Not working here for some reason.  Tried my home computer, work computer and iPhone and no luck.  Any of the old ones work fine like New York.  Odd....they can't have it available on on servers or something.  I have 50MB/50MB at home and over 100MB at work.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Apple on Wednesday added… Detroit, Michigan… …to its rolling list of Flyover-supported areas.

Apple Flyover: The ONLY way to see Detroit!™
    diplicationcornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    More important to me is the availability of transports and a good gps to guide me. I live in a compound and plans is unable to find an proper route simply because it can not locate the nearest street. Google never failed me with this 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    But still no Interstate Exit Numbers.
    cornchip