Walmart launches QR code mobile payment system to rival Apple Pay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    MCX members: if you're surprised by this move, you had no business joining the consortium in the first place.
    pmzjbdragon
  • Reply 22 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Really? I mean, really?

This is indeed DOA. No one will ever use it. People barely use ApplePay, and it doesn't get any easier, secure, or widespread than ApplePay currently is.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    croprcropr Posts: 1,120member
    My bank has a similar system for paying online e-commerce transactions.  The merchant displays a QR code, generated by the bank,  on the payment page of his e-commerce site.  An separate app from the bank asks for authorization from the user,  reads then the QR,  and asks the user for confirmation of the payment. Once the bank has authorized the payment, the bank informs the e-commerce site that the user has paid. It works pretty well.  I cannot say it is faster than Apple Pay because Apple Pay is not yet available here in Belgium, but it is faster than the traditional credit card payments.

I integrated this solution in the e-commerce shop I developed for one of my customers.  I am not allowed to give details about the communication (NDA), but there is no payment data is transferred between the user and the e-commerce site.  The communication between the e-commerce site and the bank and between the app and the bank uses standard security practices (https, digital signatures, ...).  I am not a security expert, but in terms of security it looks OK.

• Reply 24 of 44
    Cash only for me at Walmart and Target.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    "Walmart said it will continue to accept CurrentC payments alongside Walmart Pay when the service rolls out to 4,600 U.S. stores in the first half of next year. There are no plans to integrate Apple Pay into the mix." 

And I have no plans to integrate Walmart Pay into my payment mix.
    edited December 2015 jbdragondamonfcali
  • Reply 26 of 44
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    cropr said:
    My bank has a similar system for paying online e-commerce transactions.  The merchant displays a QR code, generated by the bank,  on the payment page of his e-commerce site.  An separate app from the bank asks for authorization from the user,  reads then the QR,  and asks the user for confirmation of the payment. Once the bank has authorized the payment, the bank informs the e-commerce site that the user has paid. It works pretty well.  I cannot say it is faster than Apple Pay because Apple Pay is not yet available here in Belgium, but it is faster than the traditional credit card payments.

I integrated this solution in the e-commerce shop I developed for one of my customers.  I am not allowed to give details about the communication (NDA), but there is no payment data is transferred between the user and the e-commerce site.  The communication between the e-commerce site and the bank and between the app and the bank uses standard security practices (https, digital signatures, ...).  I am not a security expert, but in terms of security it looks OK.

Which bank generates the QR code? It can't be the customer's, surely, since the terminal has no way to know which bank that is. And there is no separate bank app mentioned here.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    tgr1tgr1 Posts: 33member
    The biggest impact of this announcement is on CurrentC / MCX. Walmart's decision to implement its own solution shows their lack of confidence in CurrentC, and that will lead to more defections from the CurrentC vendor community (Best Buy, CVS, etc.).
    After stringing the partners along so they weren't able to implement Apple Pay. Seems rather sleazy to me.

Frustrated that Rite-Aid is still hopeless in my area  (don't know if it is just that location but they are pretty disorganized over all from what I can tell anyway).
    jbdragoncali
  • Reply 28 of 44
    To many steps to pay. It's easier to pull out the card.
    cali
  • Reply 29 of 44
    fallenjt said:
    No one gives the shit about this payment system. Most Walmart shoppers are low tech with low incomes. They don't even use debit card right, so forget about digital payments.
    I don't like the system that WalMart has chosen. Take a pix of a QR code, launch an app, submit payment info, wait for it to be approved versus Apple Pays TouchID and you are done - and you still get a printed receipt. You are really wrong about the patrons at WalMart (although their have been pix of some of them looking really odd). WalMart is a good place to buy a number of products - I too would not go their for tech products cause there is never anyone in that area and when they are they don't know anything about the products. That said price is a good motivation - if you aren't interested in saving money then don't go but don't imply that shoppers there are some how tied to low income ignorant people. Maybe you should review your shopping practices.
    edited December 2015 cali
  • Reply 30 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I don't see what Walmart gets out of this except some customer information; they are still paying fees to Visa, Master Card and AMEX.  I think this is a "me too" move that management can put on their accomplishment list after failing for years.

1.  Users will not want to use it because it will be slow, insecure, error prone and lead to long lines.

2.  There is nothing in it for the user.  It is not fast and convenient and it can only be used at Walmart.

I say it is DOA.
    How is it DOA? It's a Wal-Mart in store supported system. It's provided as an alternative to the customers other payment choices. If nobody uses it, then Wal-Mart just wasted development money. But the support is already there. For smartphone users who want to be cash free and have no other alternatives accepted by Wal-Mart. How is this any different than Starbucks? Their outdated system hasn't harmed their business at all after Pay came out. In fact a record low number of users are barely using Pay at all according to recent surveys.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I'm betting you need a data signal for this to work...
  • Reply 32 of 44
    daven said:
    "Walmart said it will continue to accept CurrentC payments alongside Walmart Pay when the service rolls out to 4,600 U.S. stores in the first half of next year. There are no plans to integrate Apple Pay into the mix." 

And I have no plans to integrate Walmart Pay into my payment mix.
    I rarely shop at Wal-Mart. Since I don't have Pay available on my 5S (something I hope to change with the "6 mini" this Spring ;-), I am always looking for good alternatives to mobile payments when im only carrying my iPhone. If I did shop at Wal-Mart I might consider this. It's ironic now that Apple has released their first smart case, in that Incipio had an NFC enabled smart case for Verizon compatible with the Isis/Softcard, now Google Wallet, payment systems. Apple could have probably developed something like that for the 5 series phones, but didn't. 

The the lack of Pay didn't stop me from using the Starbucks app when I go to Starbucks, something that happens quite a bit more often than me going to Wal-Mart. The point many are missing is that Wal-Mart may be one of the only options for shopping in many communities around the World. As mobile payments becoming more widespread, for those who have no other options to use Pay anyway in their communities, launching an app when they go to their main retailer is not a big deal for the convenience of not carrying cash or putting it on another credit card. 

However, given Wal marts demographic, it doesn't really seem like something embraced by a large percentage of their customers in any event. Then again, neither is Pay.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 33 of 44
    mac_128 said:
    I don't see what Walmart gets out of this except some customer information; they are still paying fees to Visa, Master Card and AMEX.  I think this is a "me too" move that management can put on their accomplishment list after failing for years.

1.  Users will not want to use it because it will be slow, insecure, error prone and lead to long lines.

2.  There is nothing in it for the user.  It is not fast and convenient and it can only be used at Walmart.

I say it is DOA.
    How is it DOA? It's a Wal-Mart in store supported system. It's provided as an alternative to the customers other payment choices. If nobody uses it, then Wal-Mart just wasted development money. But the support is already there. For smartphone users who want to be cash free and have no other alternatives accepted by Wal-Mart. How is this any different than Starbucks? Their outdated system hasn't harmed their business at all after Pay came out. In fact a record low number of users are barely using Pay at all according to recent surveys.

Oh well, Wallmart is a huge retailer so if many shoppers use the App then Walmart will get valuable info on their customers.  Let's see how it goes. 

I use Pay every day because I believe that it is the most secure and designed to work everywhere.  It is also more likely to improve in the future as Apple gets a tiny bit of money every time.  

At this point, I will not accept credit cards that don't support Pay,  I buy at Walgreens instead of CVS because Walgreens supports Pay. I never really shop at Walmart anyway so it does not matter, but I have a choice, I will avoid them.

• Reply 34 of 44
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member

Target is going "chip and PIN" with its Red Card, presumably even their "department store-like" one that isn't a Visa/MasterCard card.  Yes, even PIN! 

I predict Target will take Apple Pay in-store by the end of 2016.  They already do in their iOS app.

edited December 2015 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 44
    muppetry said:
    cropr said:

Which bank generates the QR code? It can't be the customer's, surely, since the terminal has no way to know which bank that is. And there is no separate bank app mentioned here.

From what I read in another article, here is what it says:

"Customers will be able to set the feature to prioritize payments using only say gift cards and use credit and other cards as the second payment option. They can also set the app to pay by a combination of cash and Walmart Pay."

So it sounds like the app stores your credit card information, which isn't safe in my eyes. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 36 of 44
    It's not clear in this story how Touch ID is also integrated into this Walmart Pay app. Is that only for online purchases?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    damonf said:

Target is going "chip and PIN" with its Red Card, presumably even their "department store-like" one that isn't a Visa/MasterCard card.  Yes, even PIN! 

I predict Target will take Apple Pay in-store by the end of 2016.  They already do in their iOS app.

This is one of the reasons I think Apple should have withheld the Apple Watch from Target. It's kind of embarrassing that Apple keeps giving them new products when they don't support Apple's own payment method.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    I use Apple Pay. Let me pay for things the way I want - what retailer in their right mind would reject any mainstream payment method? Makes me want to go there and pay for stuff with a bag full of pennies.
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 44
    fallenjt said:
    No one gives the shit about this payment system. Most Walmart shoppers are low tech with low incomes. They don't even use debit card right, so forget about digital payments.
    Always funny (or sad, actually) to see how some people seem to need to prop themselves up socially, by referring to the 'undereducated/underclass' who shop at certain stores, though I've only been in Walmart once few years ago for a cheaper price on a major appliance by couple of hundred dollars. Long drive from Hollywood area.
    Problem with that system is so many steps: open the app, find the pay section, take a picture of the QR code...( I have used QR code for price checks through Amazons's app, and if you don't hold the camera at the almost perfect angle, perfectly still, not have low or too much light, no shadows to cover part of the code, then you don't get a scan. I can get images with the Red and Arriflex, etc, but QR codes can be time eaters.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The biggest news here is the final nail in the coffin for CucrenC. Wasn't Wal Mart their leading supporter? Their "big dawg"? Who are they gonna rely on now to set CurrentC as a standard? CVS??

fallenjt said:
    Typical AI user BS. They'll find lowest excuses and insults to toss around at anyone who thinks of competing with Apple.

I remember when Wal Mart announced they wouldn't support Pay users on here planned to hold up the lines at Wal Mart in protest.

suddenly iPhone users don't shop at Wal Mart.