Tim Cook lauds new iPhone 6s Smart Battery Case design as easy to use

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    All this talk and bs dancing around the real issue. Its a crapy design… simple ! And that’s not what apple is all about. It does not deserve the Apple logo.. IF anything apple is biased more to design than ergonomics.. But threir magic has been trying to balance both in reasonable way. This product fails Apple criteria The ipad pro keyboard case fails it. The way the Pencil get charged on iPad pro fails it . The charge port at the back of the mouse fails it . The new music app ui fails it. The new TvOS ( well feels very rushed and half baked .. Ill wait and see what happenes there ) There are bogus decisions made at apple recently. 2015 has been riddled with disarray at Apple. Hope in the coming year they get back to their normal greatness! Someone in charge is making follish calls Tim… Too many yes-s to bad ideas .
    Use iPad Pro with Pencil first before trolling. Bashing a product with no hand-on usage whatsoever makes you sound like an idiot.
    rogifan_old
  • Reply 42 of 66
    mr o said:
    mac_128 said:
    Hysterical:

A collection of Apple Innovations this year in one picture... 
    I actually like the idea of being able to recharge my pencil from the iPad. Of course, the iPad Pro is a bit unwieldy, but it will work out great with the Air and the Mini.

What's missing in this picture is the iPad Smart Keyboard cover: a bad rip-off from an already flawed Microsoft concept. I hope to see it evolve in a Smart Case cover.
    The problem with this photo (which the person who posted it is well aware of) is charging the Apple a Pencil directly from the IPad Pro (or any other iOS device) is meant for when you need a quick charge not where you leave the pencil hanging out of the device for long periods of time. That's why there's an adapter in the box! And this photo is dishonest because no one is going to have their iPP laying on a ledge like that with the pencil sticking out. I have a pencil and being able to stick it in the lightening connector for a quick charge is actually quite convenient.

I've read many reviews of the iPP and Pencil and while there have been some criticisms like wishing the Pencil had an eraser or a place to store it on device I have yet to see one that complained about charging.

Same thing with the mouse. A two hour charge with the mouse gives you a month long battery life;  in the time it takes you to get coffee in the morning the mouse is charged for the day. OS X provides ample warning when the battery is getting low. That really is picking nits, especially considering it's a wireless device that's not meant to be used while charging.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

cali said:
    Too bad I'll never know how "easy" it is to take off cause it's so damned ugly.
    It is ugly and true for every fucking battery case on the market. Battery case is about functional, not cosmetic. At least with Apple case, you can cover the   hump with your palm when in use, not w other cases. The thing bothering me is in front, not the back. I don't like the edge around the case that a mm above the surface of the screen. I know it means to protect the glass but why didn't it just wrap around the curve glass instead? That would look 10 times better and still can protect the glass.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Little bit off topic but my guess on this is that placing the lightening port on the bottom of the mouse was a very deliberate design decision to stop users from charging the mouse whilst using it.

Lightening cables are more rigid and less flexible than the cables used on most wired mice, so would result in poor freedom of movement, but also place undue strain on the lightening cable which is not designed to be constantly bent and tugged on. You can bet that if the lightening port wasn't on the bottom, people would be using the mouse plugged in all the time and then blame Apple when they have to get their lightning cable replaced at the Genius Bar constantly.
    mr o
  • Reply 45 of 66
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    mr o said:
    mac_128 said:
    Hysterical:

I actually like the idea of being able to recharge my pencil from the iPad. Of course, the iPad Pro is a bit unwieldy, but it will work out great with the Air and the Mini.

What's missing in this picture is the iPad Smart Keyboard cover: a bad rip-off from an already flawed Microsoft concept. I hope to see it evolve in a Smart Case cover.
    The problem with this photo (which the person who posted it is well aware of) is charging the Apple a Pencil directly from the IPad Pro (or any other iOS device) is meant for when you need a quick charge not where you leave the pencil hanging out of the device for long periods of time. That's why there's an adapter in the box! And this photo is dishonest because no one is going to have their iPP laying on a ledge like that with the pencil sticking out. I have a pencil and being able to stick it in the lightening connector for a quick charge is actually quite convenient.

I've read many reviews of the iPP and Pencil and while there have been some criticisms like wishing the Pencil had an eraser or a place to store it on device I have yet to see one that complained about charging.

Same thing with the mouse. A two hour charge with the mouse gives you a month long battery life;  in the time it takes you to get coffee in the morning the mouse is charged for the day. OS X provides ample warning when the battery is getting low. That really is picking nits, especially considering it's a wireless device that's not meant to be used while charging.
    I agree with your argument:

1. A Two minute recharge of the mouse gives you 9 - Nine! - Hours of use.
    2. A Fifteen second (!) recharge of the Pencil gives you 30 - Thirty - Minutes of use.

Anyone should be able to afford a two minute break at the office. And you'd be thankful to Apple when you will be able to recharge your pencil from the iPad while you are out in the open, away from your desk/office. The presence of the mouse and pencil recharge in the picture are indeed unjustified.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    ethereal said:
    Little bit off topic but my guess on this is that placing the lightening port on the bottom of the mouse was a very deliberate design decision to stop users from charging the mouse whilst using it.

Lightening cables are more rigid and less flexible than the cables used on most wired mice, so would result in poor freedom of movement, but also place undue strain on the lightening cable which is not designed to be constantly bent and tugged on. You can bet that if the lightening port wasn't on the bottom, people would be using the mouse plugged in all the time and then blame Apple when they have to get their lightning cable replaced at the Genius Bar constantly.

People already have to go to the Genius Bar constantly to get their Lightning cables replaced.  lol.  I've probably replaced 5 to 7 of them since 2009.  They, the 30-pin connector cable, and Mac power cables all biodegrade seemingly just by looking at them.  Ok, maybe not by looking at them, but that light grey coating easily wears out at one's grab point, breaks down, and starts to crack and frey.  I've bought additional Apple cables in the past, but no longer.  (Side note: as previously reported by AI, these cables are the lowest rated items on the online Apple Store). A few months ago I purchased 3rd party MFi-certified nylon-coated Lightning cables and can't be more happy with them.  I appreciate Apple having the MFi program, to know that they've approved the design of MFi-certified items.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 47 of 66
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    lkrupp said:
    And it’s only getting criticism from the usual suspects who haunt the Internet with their constant negativity, which is a cancer-like sore that festers and destroys. Tim Cook should have ignored the question.

No worse than the usual suspects who blindly believe Apple is perfect and can do no wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, even the 'great and mighty' Ive.  
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 48 of 66
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    The new battery case ha some functional niceties.

It use the same charging cable as the iPhone.

It is thin at the bottom so it fits in most existing iPhone docks.

It is thin at the top so it doesn't interfere with the camera.

It doesn't come apart into two pieces, one of which is small, easy to lose, and breaks.

It is trivial to operate.  It has no controls whatsoever.  You can't accidentally leave it on and run the battery dead.  iOS decides when to use power from the internal battery and when to use the external battery.  There is no opportunity for a user mistake. 

It's nice to have the battery charge display on the iPhone screen as a percentage rather than an approximate 5 LED display.

For someone who is not a techno geek, this is a good choice for a case.  I know too many people who don't want to pay attention to these details, and forget to turn their battery case on, forget to turn it off, or forget to bring the separate charging cable when they travel.

This is clearly a battery case aimed squarely at the mainstream consumer market.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    satchmo said:
    lkrupp said:
    And it’s only getting criticism from the usual suspects who haunt the Internet with their constant negativity, which is a cancer-like sore that festers and destroys. Tim Cook should have ignored the question.

No worse than the usual suspects who blindly believe Apple is perfect and can do no wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, even the 'great and mighty' Ive.  
    Right because this was conceived and designed by one person and only exists because the 'great and mighty' Ive said make it so.
  • Reply 50 of 66

mfryd said:
    The new battery case ha some functional niceties.

It use the same charging cable as the iPhone.

It is thin at the bottom so it fits in most existing iPhone docks.

It is thin at the top so it doesn't interfere with the camera.

It doesn't come apart into two pieces, one of which is small, easy to lose, and breaks.

It is trivial to operate.  It has no controls whatsoever.  You can't accidentally leave it on and run the battery dead.  iOS decides when to use power from the internal battery and when to use the external battery.  There is no opportunity for a user mistake. 

It's nice to have the battery charge display on the iPhone screen as a percentage rather than an approximate 5 LED display.

For someone who is not a techno geek, this is a good choice for a case.  I know too many people who don't want to pay attention to these details, and forget to turn their battery case on, forget to turn it off, or forget to bring the separate charging cable when they travel.

This is clearly a battery case aimed squarely at the mainstream consumer market.
    and as some unboxing videos have pointed out it actually works quite well when holding the phone in landscape orientation because the top and bottom portions aren't as thick. This is probably one of the first Apple products to get mostly good marks for functionality and all the hate over aesthetics.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    You can like apple and use their products without being a troll. The new iPad keyboard case IS garbage. The new iPhone battery case DOES look like crap. The new Apple TV remote IS horrible. I'm a longtime Apple TV user, and I DETEST the amount of swiping I have to do just to use this new remote. You don't have to drink the kool aid to enjoy and exclusively use apple products - I know because I'm one of those type of users.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    satchmo said:
    lkrupp said:

Right because this was conceived and designed by one person and only exists because the 'great and mighty' Ive said make it so.
    You don't think products leave Apple's internal design studio without Ive's approval?
  • Reply 53 of 66
    bdkennedy said:
    This is what compromise does.
    Is that… literally just empty space under the box? Are they THAT retarded?
  • Reply 54 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mr o said:
    mac_128 said:
    Hysterical:

On top of everything else in your predictable, biased, and hypocritical post, you have demonstrated you have no sense of humor. Do they not have jokes where you come from?

edited December 2015
  • Reply 55 of 66
    satchmo said:
    satchmo said:
    lkrupp said:

You don't think products leave Apple's internal design studio without Ive's approval?
    Sure but I'll bet all my Apple stock this was one product the design team didn't really care about and focused little effort on. The focus is all on the design when the real question should be why the heck is Apple making a 1st party battery case in the first place?!?
  • Reply 56 of 66
    satchmo said:
    satchmo said:
    lkrupp said:

Sure but I'll bet all my Apple stock this was one product the design team didn't really care about and focused little effort on. The focus is all on the design when the real question should be why the heck is Apple making a 1st party battery case in the first place?!?
    Yes, why. Because the answer underscores a potentially bigger issue. The mere existence of a battery case is an omission for a need. So the question goes back to why is there a need in the first place.

And we come full circle to possibly, just possibly, that Apple may have erred or compromised focussing too much of form over function (thinness at the expense of battery life).

Look, I'm not privy to a lot of what goes on at Apple or what their priorities are when designing a product. I just think we should be open to the notion that everyone f*cks up including Jony Ive and Apple.

They do so much great design, we almost hold them to a higher standard. So when something like this comes out, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    phils
  • Reply 57 of 66

TL;DNR

In an odd way Apple's Quasimodo Quase is strangely attractive ...

Like this:

edited December 2015
  • Reply 58 of 66
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 59 of 66
    All this talk and bs dancing around the real issue. Its a crapy design… simple ! And that’s not what apple is all about. It does not deserve the Apple logo.. IF anything apple is biased more to design than ergonomics.. But threir magic has been trying to balance both in reasonable way. This product fails Apple criteria The ipad pro keyboard case fails it. The way the Pencil get charged on iPad pro fails it . The charge port at the back of the mouse fails it . The new music app ui fails it. The new TvOS ( well feels very rushed and half baked .. Ill wait and see what happenes there ) There are bogus decisions made at apple recently. 2015 has been riddled with disarray at Apple. Hope in the coming year they get back to their normal greatness! Someone in charge is making follish calls Tim… Too many yes-s to bad ideas .
    nope. its a simple form-following-function design, something plenty of people wish they did more of.

the Pencil is awesome, and theres absolutely no problem charging it -- youre probably not even aware of the adapter in the box for using a wall charger.

and the charge port on the mouse is in the correct spot -- because the front is actual "live" touch surface area, so putting the hole there would be bunk. and since it lasts for 30 days, AND you can get a whole day's charge in 2 minutes, theres absolutely NOTHING to complain about....unless youre a troll, of course.
    Last thing i am is a troll.. I just dont accept mediocracy from apple as easly as you do ! ....
  • Reply 60 of 66
    chasm said:
    Well of course he's a troll. But I have to agree that the Music/iTunes UI needs a rethink, and soon.
    Last thing i am is a troll. I just dont accept mediocracy from apple as easly as some if you guys do.
    tallest skilmr o