UK prisoners might receive iPads to study and communicate with family - report

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2015
The UK's Ministry of Justice is reportedly considering a proposal that would give prisoners iPads to use in their cells for studying and keeping in touch with family members.

HM Prison Wormwood Scrubs

"Prisoners spend a lot of time in cells, and we need to make that time more constructive," Ministry of Justice advisor Sir Martin Narey told The Times. "They should be meeting a tutor once a week, but doing work on literacy and numeracy on their own. We could look at giving prisoners iPads to work on in their cells."

Narey's suggestion is being considered by the Ministry of Justice as part of a larger review of prison-based education. "We want to improve education so prisoners are less likely to commit crime on release," the Ministry wrote in a statement provided to The Telegraph.

It's unclear if Narey has recommended Apple's products specifically, or was instead using the iPad name as a generic term for tablets.

Security firm G4S, a major prison outsourcing contractor, believes that the implementation of such a plan will inevitably "become the norm," with some concessions.

"There will have to be safeguards built in -- we must not have people contacting victims," G4S Managing Director for Custodial and Detention Services Jerry Petherick said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    This will end well.  NOT!
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Why? No. This nonsense of coddling prisoners is unacceptable.

One meal a day. You want more? You do work. Just like the old days.

Proscribed exercise period? It’s called doing work. Get cracking.

Television? You idiot; it’s better for you NOT to watch a prepackaged belief system. We’re doing you a favor by refusing you access.

The Internet? What are you, a free man? What do you think prison IS?!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess giving them Android / Surface tablets was considered torture. 

They're in prison for a reason. 
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 24
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Plus, they get £100 in iTunes Store credits.  :p

Said one convicted murderer, "I've discovered me hidden talents by posting on Twitter and Facebook. Now I've got me whole life ahead of me to make insightful and amusing comments online."
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 6 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Free iPads for convicted felons.  Let's have a contest as to how many times we can say that without throwing up.  

oops. I lose.  
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I like how you were able to both up and downvote jungmark’s post.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jungmark said:

This is the UK. The opposite is true. :D
  • Reply 9 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Absolutely disgusting! But, I am not the least bit surprised of course.

Prisoners should not be treated to luxury items while incarcerated, and I am against giving prisoners any access to the internet at all, but they could have at least given them Android devices, if the foolish people in the UK wish to reward their criminals and prisoners.

How about rewarding their prisoners, based on the severity of the crime committed? It's not easy, but I am attempting to think like a deranged left winger here.

Rape? Good job son, you qualify for an iPad Mini 2, but not the iPad Mini 4.

Murder? Good job son, you qualify for a brand new iPad Air 2 64 GB.

Mass Murder/Terrorist who just slaughtered 78 people? Awesome job son, you qualify for a brand new iPad Pro 128 GB. 

Enjoy your new Apple devices, courtesy of the UK! B)

• Reply 10 of 24
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Why not let them free? It's a pain being locked away, they already suffered so much by doing the crime.

P.S. What happend to this forum? Who came up with the asinine pokemon icons?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Great idea! I think they should give the privilege to those on good behavior and have them take mandatory educational courses like coding and literature for example.

"less likely to commit crimes on release"

Did the haters miss this part? Or is the prison system which has been proven to be ineffective and create more crime working well enough?

Now good luck pitching this idea to the U.S. which has been torturing, raping and beating prisoners for decades.
    afrodrisingularitymhikl
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I like how you were able to both up and downvote jungmark’s post.
    LOL! Didn't even notice that. Damn my eyes!
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Beware of jailbreaking   :D
    edited December 2015 SpamSandwichdasanman69mhikl
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jungmark said:

Who will be the first to proclaim that he would rather be locked up in prison with an iPad than be a free man with an Android / Surface tablet?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    And many people wonder why the U.S justice system and prisons are terrible at rehabilitating the inmates.
    No need to wonder anymore, the system is simply a reflection of the society.
    UK prisons are more like Swedish and Danish prisons while American prisons are more like the ones in Iraq and Sudan.
    Can you guess which ones actually work ?
    mpw_amherstmhikl
  • Reply 16 of 24
    What a disappointingly unenlightened bunch of replies. For a start they're not being given them to keep - the idea seems to be for them to use during their incarceration. Also, these people are at some stage coming out - presumably we'd all like them to be better prepared and integrated within society than when they went in, for which maintaining family relationships but also being equipped to work is all a part. Have any of those shooting down the idea ever visited a UK or US prison or worked in that sector?
    IanMC2mhikl
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Okay Apple Tech pundits, time to put on the thinking caps and see how you can bash Apple with this 'outrageous' story. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    What a disappointingly unenlightened bunch of replies. For a start they're not being given them to keep - the idea seems to be for them to use during their incarceration. Also, these people are at some stage coming out - presumably we'd all like them to be better prepared and integrated within society than when they went in, for which maintaining family relationships but also being equipped to work is all a part. Have any of those shooting down the idea ever visited a UK or US prison or worked in that sector?
    Why bother to incarcerate people at all (mostly if they are not violent) in the first place? Restitution to their victim(s) should be the primary concern, not collecting criminals to bolster the employment of prison workers.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    IanMC2 said:
    The ones that actually punish people.
    For a start they're not being given them to keep
    What on Earth gives you the impression that people think this?
    for them to use during their incarceration.
    Why do you believe they have the right to do this?

• Reply 20 of 24
    IanMC2 said:
    The ones that actually punish people.
    For a start they're not being given them to keep
    What on Earth gives you the impression that people think this?
    for them to use during their incarceration.
    Why do you believe they have the right to do this?

Nope. The ones that actually work are the ones with the lowest return rate. In the US almost half of the people go back to jail while in Sweden less than 10% return. 
    You shouldnt forget that your tax is funding all this that's why (among other reasons but you probably wouldnt care) their return rate should be lower.
    Recidivism look it up.
    mhikl