Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslet & Aaron Sorkin pick up Golden Globe nominations for 'Steve Jobs'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
Three of the key players in Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs biopic -- actors Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet, along with screenwriter Aaron Sorkin -- were officially selected as nominees for this year's Golden Globes on Thursday.

Fassbender was put forward for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture -- Drama, while co-star Winslet was selected for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role. Sorkin is up for a possible Best Screenplay -- Motion Picture award.

A fourth person involved with the movie, composer Daniel Pemberton, is competing for Best Original Score -- Motion Picture.

The winners will be announced Jan. 10 at 8 p.m. Eastern time on NBC. Notably Steve Jobs was released by Universal, which is under the same parent company as NBC.

Despite good reviews and strong limited-run sales, the movie bombed at the box office when it entered wide release in October. In the space of a month it grossed just $16 million, despite costing over $30 million to make.

The accuracy of the movie was criticized by some people who knew Jobs, such as his widow Laurene. Some critics have blamed the financial failure of the movie on its three-act screenplay, which breaks with biopic conventions, and/or a lack of public interest in the subject matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Numbskulls think the movie is even loosely based on historical events and still relevant/insightful. Sorry, but that was a crappy movie.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 2 of 21
    They really jumped the shark this year, nominating that absolutely awful Sam Smith Bond theme. 
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I still don't care.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Sorkin maybe deserves a tin globes award, or lead ones around his ankles. 

The actors are a different story. I blame the failure of the movie on the infantile script. He made it all about the daughter. Major, career-tanking blunder.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    That's a statue for the back of the closet.  They should be embarrassed for even being nominated.  
  • Reply 6 of 21
    flaneur said:
    Iron Pyrite Globe, maybe.

Or pull a Stalin and give him a Uranium-laced Steel Globe.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    sog35 said:
    Just proves that Oscar nominations are all about politics of hollywood.

Pathetic
    Sog, the globes are bestowed by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (GoldenGlobe≠Oscar) The SAG awards and the Oscars are loaded with insider politics, but the HFPA are just idiots. ;-) http://pagesix.com/2015/12/10/hollywood-foreign-press-association-thinks-america-ferrera-is-gina-rodriguez/?_ga=1.173243306.805554919.1437740151
    Soli
  • Reply 8 of 21
    "We won the battle (by being nominated), but lost the war (by tanking at the box office)."
  • Reply 9 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I was right about this movie all along, even years ago, on this very site, while most others were praising Sorkin and holding out high hopes for this movie.

I never trusted that Sorkin character.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why is SpamSandwich the only poster in this thread who has capitals in their name?

Did they have to specially request that?

I was under the impression that the issue would be fixed soon for everybody.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Seperate the actors from the script. 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Do they also have an award for best "Fictionalized Biography"?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 21
    apple ][ said:
    Why is SpamSandwich the only poster in this thread who has capitals in their name?

Did they have to specially request that?

I was under the impression that the issue would be fixed soon for everybody.
    I did make a post about it at one time, but was surprised to see the fix had been applied this morning. Thanks, AI mods!
    apple ][
  • Reply 14 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    Iron Pyrite Globe, maybe.

Or pull a Stalin and give him a Uranium-laced Steel Globe.
    Ther ya go. I was trying to think of something like that. What's the most obnoxious metal? Depleted uranium maybe?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Since when is biographical fiction a Golden Globe category?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I wonder what kind of lavish party Sorkin put on for the illustrious members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.  
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Being an fan of Apple's products for over 20 years and having spent a lot of time reading rumor sites and the more tech pointed Apple sites I always thought the Windows/PC press unfairly labelled people like myself as being part of the "Apple / Jobs cult".  

When I viewed the Jobs movie I believe it to be one of the best movies of the year. It is a brilliant, artistic depiction of the soul of Apple not a linear retelling of a man's life as with so many bio movies. My take from Steve Jobs was that nobody, NOBODY could have given birth to this company in the tech world because nobody before could see beyond the science of what they did never mind blend it seamlessly with art and society. 

As for the Apple cult which I mentioned above, I know believe by reading the hatred for this movie posted on this site (from people that have not even seen this movie) that the Windows/PC press was correct about most of you all along. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    nonsense. it's perfectly valid to criticize a biopic for getting basic things...wrong. like this line from Woz to Jobs: "You STOLE the UI!" and "What is it you even DO here?!" sensational tripe.

but hey, youre a twenty-year fan of Apple. thats not a troll trope or anything, is it...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nonsense. it's perfectly valid to criticize a biopic for getting basic things...wrong. like this line from Woz to Jobs: "You STOLE the UI!" and "What is it you even DO here?!" sensational tripe.

but hey, youre a twenty-year fan of Apple. thats not a troll trope or anything, is it...
    Precisely. It was lines like those you quoted that kept me away from this fabulist take by Sorkin.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I actually found the movie gripping and enjoyable. It's a character piece that tries to put over some personalities and events in a structure that is clearly not literally true (all this stuff happening in the few hours before three product launches, I don't think so). If you want straight facts, this isn't the right movie. If you want an exploration of the pressures and characters, as seen through one person's (or team's) perspective, then it's the right movie and, as I said, I found it gripping and powerful at times. There aren't many historical movies that are entirely accurate, the medium demands that liberties are taken. This one may be more extreme in its liberties (and the events are recent and well documented) but I don't think that makes it valueless. I cringed a couple of times at the liberties taken (just counted four Jobs books on my bookshelf though they could all be wrong too) but I think those that know the stories will still see some value in the movie, those that don't will take away, on balance, some useful insights. I have huge respect for Steve Jobs, I didn't find the movie disrespectful.