Banksy mural in France uses Apple's Steve Jobs to make statement about Syrian refugees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
International street artist Banksy has been credited with a new mural at the "Jungle" refugee camp in the coastal city of Calais, France, drawing attention to the fact that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had Syrian roots.

Via banksy.co.uk

The image depicts Jobs in his signature jeans and black turtleneck, carrying an original Macintosh in one hand and a bag over his shoulder. The image is surrounded by the tents of real refugees hoping to cross the English Channel get into the U.K., many of whom are believed to be fleeing Syria's civil war.

Jobs' biological father, Abdulfattah Jandali, was raised in Homs, Syria and came to the U.S. to pursue a PhD. There he met and fathered Jobs with Joanne Schieble, but Schieble's own father refused to let her marry a Muslim, eventually prompting her to give Jobs up for adoption to his namesake family.

"Apple..pays over $7 billion/yr in taxes - and it only exists because they allowed in a young man from Homs," Guru-Murthy quoted Banksy as saying.

Via banksy.co.uk

Anti-immigration sentiment has been on the rise in Europe and the U.S. throughout 2015, but surged in the wake of last month's terrorist attacks in Paris. A passport briefly linked one of the attackers to Syria, until it was discovered that the document was faked.

Regardless, a number of right-leaning Western politicians have argued for restricting or cutting off the flow of Middle Eastern immigrants. One U.S. presidential candidate, Jeb Bush, has suggested only allowing Christian Syrians into the country, while another -- Donald Trump -- has proposed banning any Muslim from entering the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    Jobs wasn't a Muslim. Banksy is off the reservation. Also, he is far more likely to be killed by a radical Islamist in the UK, versus in America. Guess those beheadings and bus bombings there mean nothing to him as long as he can make a smarmy visual joke.
    edited December 2015 thewhitefalconmwhiterogifan_oldschlackjony0cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 122
    Why yes, Banksy, sperm donors and the countries they immigrated from should take all the credit for the achievements of the children they produced, but had no part in raising. His adopted father had nothing to do with who Steve became or what he achieved. /s
    SpamSandwichZooMigoanantksundaramschlackyojimbo007jony0IanMC2cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Take that Donald Duck...er, I mean Trump
    caliProf_PeabodyIanMC2
  • Reply 4 of 122
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Jobs wasn't a Muslim. Banksy is off the reservation.
    In what way? A large percentage of vocal, bigoted Americans don't want to let any Syrian refugees in the country for fear that one could be a terrorist.

Furthmore, Jobs not being Muslim makes his point and of those that aren't acting like pussies when it comes to helping those in need, because the offspring of immigrants are very likely to adapt to the American culture.
    Prof_Peabodypunkndrublicai46tofinoclemynxmontrosemacsmazimoyoIanMC2georgt
  • Reply 5 of 122
    Soli said:
    In what way? A large percentage of vocal, bigoted Americans don't want to let any Syrian refugees in the country for fear that one could be a terrorist.

Furthmore, Jobs not being Muslim makes his point and of those that aren't acting like pussies when it comes to helping those in need, because the offspring of immigrants are very likely to adapt to the American culture.
    I can't imagine rational people would be opposed to controlled immigration that properly vets the immigrant. Uncontrolled illegal immigration, as is common in California (for example) is not allowed anywhere else in the world. Simply opening the doors to thousands of refugees from nations where the majority of terrorist activity originates could be a problem, no?

Also, shouldn't those hundreds of thousands of able-bodied young men fleeing Syria be instead fighting to repel Islamic State? I don't know about you, but I'd want to fight and kill an unwelcome invading army to protect my way of life. How would Germany (since they've allowed in one million refugees now) know for sure if there were not dozens, or hundreds of stealth ISIS members settling among their populace?
    edited December 2015 thewhitefalcondasanman69fotoformatmwhiterogifan_oldboltsfan17anantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 6 of 122
    Rational people would support, at the very least, a pause in immigration right now. Mrs. Butcher of San Bernardino was more throughly vetted than the "refugees" are. That ended well. 
    mwhitetordenskjold
  • Reply 7 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I appreciate Krishnan Guru-Murthy sharing this but he has to be the worst interviewer I've ever seen on channel 4. He exudes everything that's wrong with modern journalism.
    anantksundaramargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 122

Why yes, Banksy, sperm donors and the countries they immigrated from should take all the credit for the achievements of the children they produced, but had no part in raising. His adopted father had nothing to do with who Steve became or what he achieved. /s
    Yeah besides creating him.
    Prof_Peabodytofino
  • Reply 9 of 122
    Soli said:

So when are you opening up your house to them?
    mwhitetordenskjold
  • Reply 10 of 122
    Soli said:

I know and have known Muslims and none of them were radicals. I personally don't advocate for any religion, but people are free to believe whatever they like as long as they don't harm others.
    Prof_Peabodypunkndrublicai46mazimoyoIanMC2
  • Reply 11 of 122
    The world is full of idiots - Donald Trump on one end and this clown on the other.
  • Reply 12 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Soli said:

I know and have known Muslims and none of them were radicals. I personally don't advocate for any religion, but people are free to believe whatever they like as long as they don't harm others.
    Plus they get all uppity when you try giving them a spam sandwich for lunch.  :D
  • Reply 13 of 122
    The 52 school shootings in America this year were at the hands of Christians. The vast majority of the many thousands of killers in US society every year are Christian. The over a million innocents who were killed in the Middle East since 9/11 are a result of Christian government involvement. Christians kill, Muslims kill. Religion is not the issue. People born of both of these religions kill people. And both holy books of these religions are against it. The issues are control, hate and fear. The good news is the majority of the human race isn't for killing. If the US and the U.K. hadn't blown Iraq to pieces and given weapons to the Syrian opposition which ISIL came from and abandoned all their tanks we wouldn't have refugees flooding the boarders and we wouldn't have ISIL as we do today.
    edited December 2015 caliSolipunkndrublicnolamacguysingularitydrunkzombiemontrosemacsidreymazimoyobasjhj
  • Reply 14 of 122
    mwhite said:

Trump is the best thing America has going for it!!!!!!
    It should noted here that Jimmy Carter banned Iranians from entering the US during the Iranian hostage crisis in the 70s. Trump's suggestion is not without precedent, nor is it unconstitutional since his comment would apply to non-citizens.
    edited December 2015 tordenskjoldcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 122
    ireland said:
    The 52 school shootings in America this year were at the hands of Christians. The vast majority of the many thousands of killers in US society every year are Christian. The over a million innocents who were killed in the Middle East since 9/11 are a result of Christian government involvement. Christians kill, Muslims kill. Religion is not the issue. People born of both of these religions kill people. And both holy books of these religions are against it. The issues are control, hate and fear. The good news is the majority of the human race isn't for killing. If the US and the U.K. hadn't blown Iraq to pieces and giving weapons to the Syrian opposition which ISIL came from we wouldn't have refugees flooding the boarders and we wouldn't have ISIL as we do today.
    To be clear, just because I dissect a somewhat inflammatory or unpopular remark by Donald Trump does not constitute an endorsement.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    mwhite said:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
    edited December 2015 nasseraeai46nolamacguyIanMC2argonaut
  • Reply 17 of 122
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    ireland said:
    mwhite said:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
    Not at all I changed from Democrat to Republican because of him.
    edited December 2015 apple ][
  • Reply 18 of 122
    To be clear, just because I dissect a somewhat inflammatory or unpopular remark by Donald Trump does not constitute an endorsement.
    You said Jobs wasn't a Muslim. I'm confused what your point was.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    The Saddest thing is that this crap argument/conversation has bled over to the AppleInsider where it does not belong at all. I don't care what anyones opinions are on this topic, especially in this forum! Remove this whole article please or at least all of these mis-informed comments, by completely ignorant people.
    edited December 2015 bradipaobasjhjIanMC2
  • Reply 20 of 122
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Terrible comments but it's still Apple related.