Apple pushes iPhone 6s pop-up ads to App Store users on older iPhones, angering users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    sog35 said:
    I own a 6+

I'm not getting the 6s ads.
    This means these ads are only targeted at iPhone 5s or older.
    That is a good ad.

No one loves ads.  But its a fact of life and business because it works.  I don't mind ads as long as they are not:

1. obnixous
    2. obtrusive
    3. data mind or malware
    4. in huge quantity or repeated
    5. irrelevant 

This 6s ad avoids all those points.  It is a 'good' ad.  Or as good as an ad gets.  Again no one loves ads but it is a neccessary evil.
    No, I've seen elsewhere people who own the 6 have gotten this ad. I get emails quite frequently from Apple promoting stuff. Fine. I get that. I don't want to see it when I open up an app (other than mail).
    edited December 2015 Brunsworkssirlance99jackansi
  • Reply 22 of 77
    sog35 said:

All of those things are annoying. And apparently even 6 owners are getting this ad. Apple shouldn't be in the business of promoting full screen ads, especially when iOS 9 gave us the ability to download content blockers to block ads. If Apple is OK with spamming the App Store who knows what's next? Will people start getting push notifications encouraging them to upgrade?

WRONG.  I have a 6+ and I'm not getting the ads.

Again explain why its so bad for a company to advertise on its own store.

And these ads are not spamming.  Spamming is sending ads that are completely random.  Apple is only sending the ads to iPhone users on 2+ year old phones.  These ads are relevant to these users.
    You may not have received it yet but others have. And 5S owners have too. All of those phones still being sold by Apple. Explain to me why a company like Apple that charges premium prices needs to resort to pop up advertising?
    Brunsworksjackansi
  • Reply 23 of 77
    "All companies advertise on their own sites." And the fanboys rush to Apple's defense! There is no justification for popup ads...
    Brunsworkssirlance99jackansi
  • Reply 24 of 77

I think it's the fact that this is setting a precedence. They might be testing the waters on how far they can push their products to their current consumers.

What's next? An Apple Watch ad to people that don't own one? If Apple see's people are complacent and don't get upset with ads they will continue to make intrusive ads.

So I say, if it upsets you, then voice your opinion. If it doesn't, then that's cool too. Apple will be able to get a true sense of what their consumer base wants and will be able to give consumers a good experience based on their feedback.

• Reply 25 of 77
    sog35 said:

You may not have received it yet but others have. And 5S owners have too. All of those phones still being sold by Apple. Explain to me why a company like Apple that charges premium prices needs to resort to pop up advertising?

It is not a popup ad. 

Its an Ad run by the owner of the store.  That you don't understand this is shocking.

Would you be shocked to see a Target Ad in a Target store?

Go to Amazon.com and you will see Kindle Fire and FireTV ads all the time.

And quit with the premium price argument.  Top end Android phones cost just as much as iPhones.  

If you don't like Apple's marketing just leave
    Again, we're taking about the App Store, not Apple's store app. Nobody buys Apple hardware via the App Store.
    Brunsworkssirlance99jackansi
  • Reply 26 of 77
    I have a 6s so not concerned, but this is, in my humble opinion, an egregious act of pushing sales. 

I thought Apple always argues that the products are designed to sell themselves "We let the products speak", and dont need this sort of underhand pressure.

It's lame. The sort of thing I'd expect from Samsung, not Apple.

Brunsworks
  • Reply 27 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:

It is not a popup ad. 

Its an Ad run by the owner of the store.  That you don't understand this is shocking.

Would you be shocked to see a Target Ad in a Target store?

Go to Amazon.com and you will see Kindle Fire and FireTV ads all the time.

And quit with the premium price argument.  Top end Android phones cost just as much as iPhones.  

If you don't like Apple's marketing just leave
    Then run the ad in the appropriate store front. People going into the App Store are looking for software, not hardware. The ad should be displayed in the Apple store app for people interested in hardware. 
    rogifan_oldBrunsworkssirlance99
  • Reply 28 of 77
    wdowell said:
    I have a 6s so not concerned, but this is, in my humble opinion, an egregious act of pushing sales. 

I thought Apple always argues that the products are designed to sell themselves "We let the products speak", and dont need this sort of underhand pressure.

My guess is it's not coming from Angela and probably not something Jony would approve (I've read that he's complained about retail in the past for doing too much selling and that the products should sell themselves). My guess is it's Eddy or Phil that approved this.
    jackansi
  • Reply 29 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wdowell said:

My guess is it's not coming from Angela and probably not something Jony would approve (I've read that he's complained about retail in the past for doing too much selling and that the products should sell themselves). My guess is it's Eddy or Phil that approved this.
    To quote you, "it's all about the upsell"
    Brunsworks
  • Reply 30 of 77
    wdowell said:

To quote you, "it's all about the upsell"
    Then it's definitely coming from Phil. :)
    dasanman69Brunsworksjackansi
  • Reply 31 of 77
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    I can't wait to see how some of the usual suspects on this forum defend this. Should be entertaining.
    Whats there to defend?

All companies advertise on their own sites. 
    This isn't Apple's website it's the App Store. And if it was just a banner vs. a full screen modal ad that you have to dismiss to get the the App Store most people wouldn't care. This isn't acceptable, at least not from Apple.

So the App Store isn't Apple's store?
    Ridiculous.

That's like saying a Walmart store isn't a Walmart store because they sell Sony products in it.  Would you be offended if Walmart had Walmart Ads in their store?

Some of you guys are living in a dream world.  Why is it so offensive to advertise iPhones to iPhone customers?  Why is it so offensive for a company to advertise in its own store?  Just because Apple didn't do this before (they actually do for decades on their website) does not mean they should never do it.

Targeted advertising WORKS.  Deal with it.  Or switch to Android
    I'm with you, man! These chronic whiners are the "usual suspects."
    IanMC2
  • Reply 32 of 77
    lkrupp said:
    mac_128 said:
    I can't wait to see how some of the usual suspects on this forum defend this. Should be entertaining.
    And what, exactly, do you plan to do about this other than whine? Switch platforms? Who would you go to that doesn’t advertise their products on their own websites? Put your money where your whine is. Otherwise you don’t look so good.
    Since when is the App Store a website? If I'm going to the App Store to look for an app I don't want to see a full screen ad that I have to dismiss. What's next, every time a non-Apple Music subscriber opens the music app they get presented with a full modal app asking them to sign up for Apple Music? Stupid idea. All it's going to do is annoy customers and make Wall Street analysts think 6S sales are soft.
    I don't subscribers to Apple Music and I don't get a pop-up every time I open the music app. I remember getting one when it first came out, but after I declined to sign up, I have never gotten another one. I see no harm in the ad if it only happens once. I would be annoyed if it did happen every time I opened the AppStore app though. 
    IanMC2
  • Reply 33 of 77

lkrupp said:
    mac_128 said:
    And what, exactly, do you plan to do about this other than whine? Switch platforms? Who would you go to that doesn’t advertise their products on their own websites? Put your money where your whine is. Otherwise you don’t look so good.
    Since when is the App Store a website? If I'm going to the App Store to look for an app I don't want to see a full screen ad that I have to dismiss. What's next, every time a non-Apple Music subscriber opens the music app they get presented with a full modal app asking them to sign up for Apple Music? Stupid idea. All it's going to do is annoy customers and make Wall Street analysts think 6S sales are soft.
    Quit complaining, trying to make mountains out of mole hills.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    You know what I like about Apple ads?  That I just got an email for the phone upgrade program, even though I own the latest model.  It says that Apple isn't dicking with intrusive demographic details and tracking me personally.  They are just sending out to their mailing list without any excessive bullshit.

I don't see this ad in the App Store as anything different than the ads that appear for the latest OS in the App Store, when running an older OS.  It's a simple local version check, not a privacy invasive, personally targeted Google style ass reaming.  Every app on my Mac does the same thing when there is a new version available, a pop-up for the new one to be clicked aside.  Get over it, go have a candy cane, or go sit and spin on one.  

I guess the battery case babies need moar attentionz.
    edited December 2015 IanMC2
  • Reply 35 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:

This is a great way to make me get out my wallet...and buy a OnePlus2.
    Go right ahead and buy a cheap China POS that probably has backdoors to the Communist government
    FWIW I think I recall a news article in China News from the early part of this year ( and now apparently removed) said Apple was the first western technology company to comply with the new Chinese government requirement that device source code in its entirety be given to them for "inspection".
    edited December 2015 Brunsworkssirlance99
  • Reply 36 of 77
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I have been irritated by the music pop-up, because you get a new one every time you upgrade the OS. Once was bad enough, and the latest music interface is bad even without this. Apple is normally good about focusing on making great products that provide the best user experience possible, with the understanding that this will be the best way to get customers to keep buying their products. Whoever made the decision to ad these pop-ups doesn't seem to get that. 
    Whoever is ultimately responsible for allowing the iOS redesign doesn't get it either. But that's been about three years now. 

Msc OS X Snow Leopard showed me a "suggestion" to upgrade to El Capitan a few days ago. I didn't even know there was the ability to do notifications like that. Thing is, I use two separate Mac boots on my MacBook Pro and purposefully keep a Snow Leopard volume for music work. It's not like I'm unaware that there are newer versions. I run Mavericks on the internal drive and have been testing the buggy El Capitan "final release" on another external drive.

Having been pushed to iOS 9.x by a new phone and then finding it won't synch to Snow Leopard or Mavericks, and seeing all the bugs in iOS 9 and El Capitan, ... and now pushing ads at users that get in the way of functionality on older phones... I'm not feeling like Apple gives a crap about users at all anymore. The marketing and MBA mindset has taken control.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    redefiler said:
    You know what I like about Apple ads?  That I just got an email for the phone upgrade program, even though I own the latest model.  It says that Apple isn't dicking with intrusive demographic details and tracking me personally.  They are just sending out to their mailing list without any excessive bullshit.

I don't see this ad in the App Store as anything different than the ads that appear for the latest OS in the App Store, when running an older OS.  It's a simple local version check, not a privacy invasive, personally targeted Google style ass reaming.  Every app on my Mac does the same thing when there is a new version available, a pop-up for the new one to be clicked aside.  Get over it, go have a candy cane, or go sit and spin on one.  

I guess the battery case babies need moar attentionz.
    Seems pretty ineffectual to me. If someone just bought a 5S or 6 why waste money sending them an ad encouraging them to upgrade to a 6S? If anything as a consumer it would piss me off.
    jackansi
  • Reply 38 of 77
    sog35 said:
    Apple has been doing these ads for months with AppleMusic.
    That's a ringing endorsement for Apple Music.
    rogifan_old
  • Reply 39 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Some folks have evolved into loudmouth crybabies.  There's no other explanation for spending any amount of time complaining about an advertisement that amounts to a poster in the window of a retail store.  Next time you losers who are b!tching about this walk through a mall, you better stop in and complain to the store manager of EVERY STORE IN THE MALL!  
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 40 of 77
    I don't like it. Often, when I'm going into the App Store, I get the ad for downloading more of the Apple Apps (it lists them all, including the ones I have already) wanting me to download more of them. In fact, I've already deleted them, I don't want them back.
    Once is fine. Once a week is not. And there's no "don't remind me again" button.

For those of you claiming "just a quick click to make it go away" - what about that is good UI design? Wasn't the point of having excellent UI to not have to make extra clicks to do something?

It gets in my way when I'm in the middle of getting an app. It's not good, no matter how insignificant you think it is.

Edit:
    And last time I checked, I don't have to rip through a poster to walk into a store. It's more like getting sprayed by a cologne salesman. Anyone ever complained about them?

I bet so.

Edit 2: And I'm not one who complains about what Apple does.
    edited December 2015 rogifan_old