Apple pushes iPhone 6s pop-up ads to App Store users on older iPhones, angering users

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    It's the "App Store"...a store that is owned and run by Apple...and they're advertising Apple products...

What's the issue, again?
  • Reply 62 of 77
    All Apple is doing is showing off a product sold in their own store app. Not a big deal at all. 
    edited December 2015 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Much a do about nothing.. Come on .. Whats all this rant.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    It's the "App Store"...a store that is owned and run by Apple...and they're advertising Apple products...

What's the issue, again?
    Since when does the App Store sell hardware? If Apple has to do this why not do it in the Apple store app?
    jackansi
  • Reply 65 of 77
    All Apple is doing is showing off a product sold in their own store app. Not a big deal at all. 
    So if Apple starts sending push notifications to alert you to products would you say that's not a big deal either?
    jackansi
  • Reply 66 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    roake said:
    And Cook slowly converts Apple to political activism and increasingly desperate methods of support, shipping unfinished products, etc..  This is the top of the slide.

Would Jobs have allowed this?

No.
    Not this again. 
  • Reply 67 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I have a 6. No ad either. It's fine as long as you can skip it right away. Consider it a splash screen. 
  • Reply 68 of 77
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    As I expected, this has been a very entertaining thread thanks to the usual suspects! LOL
  • Reply 69 of 77
    lkrupp said:
    mac_128 said:
    I can't wait to see how some of the usual suspects on this forum defend this. Should be entertaining.
    And what, exactly, do you plan to do about this other than whine? Switch platforms? Who would you go to that doesn’t advertise their products on their own websites? Put your money where your whine is. Otherwise you don’t look so good.
    Since when is the App Store a website? If I'm going to the App Store to look for an app I don't want to see a full screen ad that I have to dismiss. What's next, every time a non-Apple Music subscriber opens the music app they get presented with a full modal app asking them to sign up for Apple Music? Stupid idea. All it's going to do is annoy customers and make Wall Street analysts think 6S sales are soft.
    I have to agree with you. I love Apple's design ethos of 'magical' and 'usable'. A full-screen advert that blocks usability is neither. 

I think of the 'Get a Mac' ads that were stylish and witty, and this approach seems desperate and overt. 
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Am I the only one who thinks the ad is kind of ugly? Also, it is not like Apple to advertise like this.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 71 of 77
    jungmark said:
    I have a 6. No ad either. It's fine as long as you can skip it right away. Consider it a splash screen. 
    You mean it's fine because it's Apple. ;)

I've heard if the App Store cache gets cleared for whatever reason it is possible for someone to see this ad more than once. 
    jackansi
  • Reply 72 of 77
    sacha said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the ad is kind of ugly? Also, it is not like Apple to advertise like this.
    No. I don't like aggressive marketing, which this seems to be. And it certainly doesn't quell speculation that the 6S isn't selling as well as Apple hoped since Apple has never done this before. Or it could be Apple's just testing out different marketing tactics to see what's effective. But it doesn't make sense to me to throw up this screen in the App Store considering the App Store doesn't sell hardware and nobody is going to the App Store if they're looking for a new phone. IMO this is something that's just going to annoy people not get them to buy a new phone.
    jackansi
  • Reply 73 of 77
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    now that the shareholder is #1 at apple you can expect to see this kind of thing happening more often - indeed as it has been for some time

steve is dead and tim has forgotten that when the customer is first, everyone wins

put shareholders first and the long controlled impact into terrain has commenced

IBM faded, MS faded, AAPL has peaked
  • Reply 74 of 77
    sacha said:
    No. I don't like aggressive marketing, which this seems to be. And it certainly doesn't quell speculation that the 6S isn't selling as well as Apple hoped since Apple has never done this before. Or it could be Apple's just testing out different marketing tactics to see what's effective. But it doesn't make sense to me to throw up this screen in the App Store considering the App Store doesn't sell hardware and nobody is going to the App Store if they're looking for a new phone. IMO this is something that's just going to annoy people not get them to buy a new phone.
    It's a competitive world and, yes, even Apple has to advertise to remind people to buy the latest products. Oh, and it's the holiday buying season also. There are a whole lot of distractions this time of year. People forget!
  • Reply 75 of 77
    dewme said:
    OMG. Just when we thought the world could not sink into deeper depths of despair. 700 milliseconds of my life I will never get back. (yeah, I'm a little slow, eye-hand coordination falling off a bit) Not to mention the extra wear and tear on my fingertip while having to press the Skip button one time. I smell a class action lawsuit...

dewme said:
    OMG. Just when we thought the world could not sink into deeper depths of despair. 700 milliseconds of my life I will never get back. (yeah, I'm a little slow, eye-hand coordination falling off a bit) Not to mention the extra wear and tear on my fingertip while having to press the Skip button one time. I smell a class action lawsuit...
    I tend agree except if you look at Apple as a repeat offender and you consider just the case where the same person sees this egregious ad 3 times you have cost this plaintiff person in excess of 2 seconds. Well you can do the math from there - this is obviously a huge problem hiding behind the desire to get fine product to the masses so consumers don't have to endure the pain of Android or even worse WinPhone.¡
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Advertising in a store app? Holy cannoli! What's next? Suggesting items for me to buy? Two words: Skip button.