AT&T offers buy-one-get-one-free on iPhone 6s as Apple Watch hits Wal-Mart

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
AT&T on Friday launched a new "Buy One Get One Free" promotion for premium smartphones, including the iPhone 6s. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart became the latest retailer to begin selling the Apple Watch.

A visit to the AT&T promotional webpage lists Samsung devices as eligible for a "buy one, get one free" promotion, though a call to local AT&T store confirmed the promotion applies to the iPhone 6s as well.

The deal requires customers to purchase a new iPhone 6s via the AT&T Next financing program. Customers will then receive a credit of $650, the cost of a new 16 GB iPhone 6s, spread over the life of the Next financing installments. Customers are responsible for taxes and service fees.

Customers can apply the credit to a higher capacity iPhone 6s or the iPhone 6s plus, but must pay the difference in cost.

Also on Friday, the world's largest retailer Wal-Mart began selling the Apple Watch online and at select brick-and-mortar locations, carrying the sport edition of the watch and various accessories. Wal-Mart joins Target and Best Buy as the latest large retailer to carry the device.

Wal-Mart currently carries the 38mm and 42mm of the sport version of the watch, in silver and space gray. It is also carrying sport bands and the magnetic charging cable.

Unlike Best Buy and Target, Wal-Mart is not offering any discounts on the watch. Best Buy is currently offering $100 off all models and sizes of the device , while Target offered a $100 gift card with purchase of the watch on Black Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    sog35 said:
    So basically you get $650 if you buy 2 iPhones.
    Most other carriers are offering $100 off each iPhone.
    So you save $225 per phone.

Now divide the $225 by 30 monthly payments.
    You save $7.50 a month versus buying an iPhone from Tmobile/Verizon/ect

I know that AT&T charges way more than $7.50 per month for service than Tmobile.

This really isn't a good deal unless you really like AT&T.  I get 2 lines of unlimited LTE data for $100.  No way on earth AT&T can match that.  And especially not even close to $115 (which factors in the discount).
    Math check: $650 back when buying 2 phones is $325 per phone back. As the base phone costs $650...you're basically getting each phone 1/2 off.

It costs $15/phone/month to add a line to AT&T BTW. I pay $114 out the door at AT&T for 2 phones with unlimited text/talk 15GB/month w/ rollover data and hotspot. It would only be $130 total if I added a 3rd phone.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 2 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Weird. Why not show iPhone?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    Cause its not part of the deal.

Several people have called AT&T and they said its Samsung phones only.
    So MacRumors and 9to5Mac got bad info. Heh. 
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    There is no BOGO free deal for iphone 6S on AT&T web site but there is a BOGO deal for non-selling, large inventory, need to be get rid off Samsung Galaxy S6.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 5 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Incorrect.

According to my chat with ATT just now where I asked if I could get the BOGO deal for an iPhone instead of Samsung they replied:
    "we have the offer with the iphone 6s 16GB"
     "If you purchase an iphoen 6S with AT&T next 24 you will get another one for free if you also get it with AT&T next 24"

Verbatim, spelling error and all. TBH my wife is interested too. She likes Rose Gold, which she says is pink but whatever. 

You should have checked for yourself. It took less than 5 minutes. 

edited December 2015 lord amhran
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Ok I'm officially confused is the deal for the iPhone 6s or not?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Incorrect.

According to my chat with ATT just now where I asked if I could get the BOGO deal for an iPhone instead of Samsung they replied:
     "If you purchase an iphoen 6S with AT&T next 24 you will get another one for free if you also get it with AT&T next 24"

Verbatim, spelling error and all. TBH my wife is interested too. She likes Rose Gold, which she says is pink but whatever. 

This ought to help them move a few Watch Sports, which Wal-Mart is now selling in their stores -- which don't accept Pay!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    ehtom825 said:
    Call Lilly. Report back?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Incorrect.

I also chatted with AT&T via their user chat function on their website. I got a slightly different set of information: you buy a 6S/Plus and you do NOT get another 6S/Plus, but instead a 6/Plus. And it's 16 GB only.

You still have to pay the taxes on the new phone, up front. And you WILL be charged the first three months' payments on the second phone...and then those payments will be refunded to you.

Also, they have to be new lines. You can't upgrade an existing lines, even if you are purchasing outright. Which you can't do, since it has to be on AT&T Next. Once I learned that bit, I stopped asking questions, so I don't know what the deal is on getting a credit instead of a second phone.

• Reply 10 of 22
    I just got off the phone with AT&T Wireless Customer Service (not a local store) and they said the iPhone 6s is included in the promotion, but the free phone has to be on a NEW LINE to qualify.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Sounds incredibly confusing. Did AT&T have to get Apple's approval to do this?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    Sounds incredibly confusing. Did AT&T have to get Apple's approval to do this?
    sounds like an under the table deal that AT&T is trying to hide.  They won't advertise it but if you ask for it they may give it to you depending on the store.
    My chat wasn't with any particular store tho. It was with ATT on-line. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    KCKC Posts: 1member
    Call your local store - the call center wasn't able to help me, but the local store was all "no problem!". Yes, it requires a new line - but I can add a new line to my Family Share plan, and drop an existing line at the same time (as long as there's no NEXT or anything tied to that line)... so net-net, no biggie. For $650 credit, not a bad deal!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ehtom825 said:
    Yes, we don't know that it's not, but it may be that it isn't.
    ehtom825
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ehtom825 said:
    Yes, we don't know that it's not, but it may be that it isn't.
    The deal for the iPhone 6s seems to be, but it might not include another 6s or 6s plus, depending on whether we find out if it is, and confirm with the local store that can give the deal, or if the national chat line thinks it can offer a 6 or 6s of any color, but not for certain capacities unless you pay up front, or don't need a new line. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:

Incorrect.

I also chatted with AT&T via their user chat function on their website. I got a slightly different set of information: you buy a 6S/Plus and you do NOT get another 6S/Plus, but instead a 6/Plus. And it's 16 GB only.

You still have to pay the taxes on the new phone, up front. And you WILL be charged the first three months' payments on the second phone...and then those payments will be refunded to you.

Also, they have to be new lines. You can't upgrade an existing lines, even if you are purchasing outright. Which you can't do, since it has to be on AT&T Next. Once I learned that bit, I stopped asking questions, so I don't know what the deal is on getting a credit instead of a second phone.

Well they are going to take that money and work with it. You give them $650 at once and they will "pay you back" in $30 starting 3 month from when you gave them that money.  it is basically store credit. Which means it doesn't cost Att the whole $30. Good scam Att 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Well if you like AT&T and need two new iPhones I suppose its a better deal than getting kicked in the balls.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Hmm, find it a bit odd how Apple tries to get Apple Watch in exclusive stores then sticks it in Wal Mart
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I just got back from the AT&T store and bought two iPhones. It DOES apply to iPhone but they said it was an unadvertised deal. You pay the normal AT&T next amount for 2-3 months and then they credit your account for the three months and then give you a credited amount every month after that.
    edited December 2015 KC
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jambo96 said:
    Hmm, find it a bit odd how Apple tries to get Apple Watch in exclusive stores then sticks it in Wal Mart
    Because 90% of people live closer to a Wallmart than an exclusive store. The exclusive stores got them 6 months earlier btw.

They sell high end stuff and Cosco (sam's club) so not sure why that would be surprising.