Samsung to follow Apple, Huawei with pressure-sensing display in 'Galaxy S7'

Posted:
in iPhone
The next flagship handset from South Korean conglomerate Samsung will reportedly feature a 3D Touch-like pressure-sensitive display, the company's latest fast follower move as it seeks to claw back marketshare.

In addition to the new pressure sensing technology, the so-called "Galaxy S7" will sport a USB-C port, according to the Wall Street Journal. This port -- which was first used on a mass-market device in Apple's new MacBook -- is said to allow for faster charging of the handset.

Samsung will also likely continue with the strategy of launching two major variants, one standard and one "Edge" version with a curved OLED display. Additionally, Samsung will slim down the improved camera module, reducing or eliminating the hump found on the S6.

Most other features are slated to remain the same, though there is little information regarding the device's internals. One notable move is said to be the return of an SD card slot for expandable storage.

Samsung will likely officially announce the S7 around the time of February's Mobile World Congress in preparation for a launch later in the spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Samsung is already doomed. As Ben Bajarin says, they've got five years at most. 
    cornchipmagman1979IanMC2redgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 34
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    The question now is will Apple beat them to the punch with a 4" ff?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Samsung is already doomed. As Ben Bajarin says, they've got five years at most. 
    They have no shame. I mean, seriously?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWLcZ5oUAAEi8pr.jpg

edited December 2015
  • Reply 4 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    In all fairness if something is a good idea you can expect it to be either copied or mimicked in some form or fashion.  I wouldn't expect anything less from Samsung.  My beef is with the IT "professionals" and Android fanboys who without fail repeat the tired old "iSheep" mantra every time Apple releases an updated product.  

I'm not saying Apple doesn't have its own issues it needs to address, but enough is enough from the "iHate Apple, Samsung rulz!"crowd.
    magman1979argonautIanMC2jahbladejfc1138gilly33redgeminipaanton zuykov
  • Reply 5 of 34
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    They have no shame. I mean, seriously?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWLcZ5oUAAEi8pr.jpg

How well is it selling?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    3D Touch, or whatever Samsung calls their variant, will not have the impact in the Andriod universe that it will for Apple.  Samsung will need to roll its own software support, and Android developers will then need to incorporate those Samsung-specific calls into their apps, unless it will be used only at the app icon level of the interface.  There won't be the same incentive for developers to support this on Samsung phones versus for iOS.  It's a tick box item only for Samsung; something they can claim and show off at their product intro event, but not likely something that will ever be of much use to actual users of their phones.  
    ericthehalfbeerazorpitIanMC2icoco3suddenly newtonmathteacherredgeminipajbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Remember when Apple changed to the Lighting connector and the tech world was making a big deal about how Apple was screwing customers over? That's one change from the 30-pin connector to Lighting. How many times has Samsung changed their connectors? Are their customers pissed that they have to buy all new cables and chargers again?
    jay-tIanMC2redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 34
    3D Touch, or whatever Samsung calls their variant, will not have the impact in the Andriod universe that it will for Apple.  Samsung will need to roll its own software support, and Android developers will then need to incorporate those Samsung-specific calls into their apps, unless it will be used only at the app icon level of the interface.  There won't be the same incentive for developers to support this on Samsung phones versus for iOS.  It's a tick box item only for Samsung; something they can claim and show off at their product intro event, but not likely something that will ever be of much use to actual users of their phones.  

This. Samsung has a very poor track record getting devs to code for their features. This will be no different. 
    magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 34
    AppleInsider said: The next flagship handset from...Samsung will reportedly feature a 3D Touch-like pressure-sensitive display, the company's latest fast follower move... Damn_Its_Hot sez: What a shocking turn of events. I have never...¡
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Has anyone else noticed that the 'new' editor in AI sucks bad. It eats my formatting e.g., previous post it took out the and made it all one paragraph. It also seems to not allow you to post a quote that is just part of an article - if I am missing something then somebody tell me.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    jamiel said:
    Remember when Apple changed to the Lighting connector and the tech world was making a big deal about how Apple was screwing customers over? That's one change from the 30-pin connector to Lighting. How many times has Samsung changed their connectors? Are their customers pissed that they have to buy all new cables and chargers again?
    Moving from the micro USB standard to the USB-C standard is a more acceptable story than moving from a proprietary 30 pins to a proprietary Lightning connector.   I am still wondering when/if Apple will move to USB-C, taking into account that there must be a single charger standard (which will be USB-C based) in the EU by 2017.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Samsung just don't get it that 3-D touch is not the main feature to drive iPhone 6S sale, but the color , camera and internal update. Ask 95% iPhone 6S owners to see if they're even aware of this feature. Except those in tech forums, majority users don't even know about 3-D touch. 
    Also, when you design a handset and put back hardware features that you removed in the previous version, you know your design is shit. Next time, Samsung will bring back waterproof and removable battery. Mark my words for it. If Samsung keep listening to small group (0.01% population) of Fandroids in tech forums to get ideas for their feature design, they soon are doomed.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    fallenjt said:
    Samsung just don't get it that 3-D touch is not the main feature to drive iPhone 6S sale, but the color , camera and internal update. Ask 95% iPhone 6S owners to see if they're even aware of this feature. Except those in tech forums, majority users don't even know about 3-D touch. 
    Also, when you design a handset and put back hardware features that you removed in the previous version, you know your design is shit. Next time, Samsung will bring back waterproof and removable battery. Mark my words for it. If Samsung keep listening to small group (0.01% population) of Fandroids in tech forums to get ideas for their feature design, they soon are doomed.
    While this is clearly because of Apple, what makes you think it will be the ONLY thing they change. If incremental upgrades (color, camera, internals) were the only thing driving sales, then android would have no trouble with sales.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

3D touch without supporting App, yeah that will work well. Even App is having a slow roll with this, not all Apps are being updated to support 3D touch.

Typical Samsung just adding another thing to the check list, so consumers can say they have it but can not use it.

• Reply 15 of 34
    Hahaha Anyone seriously surprised by that? Seriously??? Ha, you're stupid!
  • Reply 16 of 34
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    So, S-3DTouch is a go
  • Reply 17 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Weird. Fandroids keep saying iPhone 6 and 6s are identical. Where did this "3D Touch" thingy come from?????
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Ya know gotta keep up with the competition.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Before everyone claims Apple or some other company came up with an idea or copied one another, I would recommend people listed to these series of TED talks. It will open your minds to the idea that nothing is really original. What Apple does better than anyone is make things work well and people want to use.

http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/321797073/what-is-original?showDate=2015-03-20

edited December 2015
  • Reply 20 of 34
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Sammy, once again, fearlessly leading by following !